Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Jim Thorpe area riders and trail builders?

If there's anyone on here that's into building and wants to build imba approved/legal trails, post up here or send me a pm with your real name, #, and email. There have been a handful of meetings so far. Lou and Matt were at the latest meeting representing VMB. It's a long drive for both of our crews, so we're looking for a central group in or near JT who can become an organized group of trail builders. Thanks, Rob

Ps. There's a lot of land involved!
    Last edited by LarryFahn; 08-16-2013 at 01:10 PM.

mtbr member
    How is this being accomplished in relation to the PA State Game Commission and Game Lands areas?

mtbr member
    It will have nothing to do with the gamelands or Broad mountain. The land owners and managers don't want to sell or develop the property, but would like for people to use it recreationally instead of being vacant with illegal activities and trespassing. As we've proven at Moosic Mtn, the trails we built increased the foot traffic and riders. Along with working with the Game Commission, it's helped to cut back on the illegal use of the land. Ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    I'm not trying to hide anything here. But since it's not my project, but my buddy's, I don't feel comfortable laying out everything on a public forum. We're currently in the planning stage and we don't necessarily need to have 100 people with 100 different ideas. Rather, we're looking to organize and make sure that we have all resources ready and willing to take charge when the time comes. Keep thinking positive! Ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Any more information that can be shared on this?

There was an article in the paper awhile back that I've been trying (unsuccessfully) to find about someone in the area that had a big parcel of land that they couldn't develop (I forget the reason why).
    I'm wondering if this is the property you guys are looking at.

I can think of two huge pieces of land just outside JT that would be mtb paradise, but I doubt the landowner would want people roaming around on it.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    There is some more info at Home | VMB - Lehigh Valley, PA Mountain Bike Club It will cost you $20 to find information to volunteer your time to help build mountain bike trails on VMB's website. Obviously the closed forums are not helping with gaining new volunteers for new projects, so I pirated someone's username and password and have this info to share. Note this is not a forum discussion but an excerpt from the board meeting minutes.

"" 4. Bethlehem Water Authority Land
    A trail building opportunity exists on this piece of land north of Jim Thorpe. The board is trying to assess interest in this project. Some of the specifics are as follows…

Location- about 5 miles east of Jim Thorpe, bordering Weiser St Forest

Type of Terrain- Rolling woods hillside with about 1,000 feet of elevation gain

How many acres- The total acreage is about 15,000; BWA would consider initial trails on about 5,000

Potentially how many miles- There’s potential for 10-15 miles with the initial build, and twice that if things go well. Those trails connect to 6 miles already on the ground in Weiser, and there’s more potential to build there as well.

General Club Updates:

Opening forums to public:

General discussion took place with no agreement on how to proceed. In the interest of time
    It was agreed that no decision could be made. ""

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Thanks Kool.
    The water authority land what I was referring to when I said: I can think of two huge pieces of land just outside JT that would be mtb paradise, but I doubt the landowner would want people roaming around on it.

There is some great land there.
    For comparison, Jacobsburg SP has 15 miles or more of trails on a little over 1000 acres, so there is huge potential there.
    I would guess it's probably more than VMB can handle but I have no idea what they're up to since they closed their site. Trex seems to have stalled out after their initial hype.

mtbr member
    I'm confused about where this is. 5 mi. east of JT is around Beltzville Lake, on the other side of 476. Google tells me Weiser SF is in a different part of the state.

I'm guessing this is somewhere NE of JT, between 903 and 476.

Can anyone clarify?

There's a small tract of Weiser State Forest in east Carbon county, north of Beltzville SP. It not on the DCNR map, but it this little chunk of land

mtbr member
    Thanks, Jonz. This is an exciting opportunity.

mtbr member
    I don't live in the JT area(live in Carlisle), but I would be willing to drive up and help out. Let me know.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GT_guy View Post
    I would guess it's probably more than VMB can handle but I have no idea what they're up to since they closed their site. Trex seems to have stalled out after their initial hype.
    I don't want to thread jack but Trex is hardly stalled out, there is a core group of hard working guys that have completed an addition over the past year there that is fantastic, and there is potential for more mileage.

An 80 foot skinny was also added, along with constant tweaking of the existing trails. They do great work there.

https://m.facebook.com/TrexlerMounta...375414065&_rdr
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    I don't want to thread jack but Trex is hardly stalled out, there is a core group of hard working guys that have completed an addition over the past year there that is fantastic, and there is potential for more mileage.

An 80 foot skinny was also added, along with constant tweaking of the existing trails. They do great work there.

https://m.facebook.com/TrexlerMounta...375414065&_rdr
    Jared is absolutely right. Trex is progressing nicely, the volunteers are doing an awesome job.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jonz View Post
    There's a small tract of Weiser State Forest in east Carbon county, north of Beltzville SP. It not on the DCNR map, but it this little chunk of land
    If you look on that map, the land around Wild Creek and Penn Forest Reservoir is all owned by the City of Bethlehem. That would be the land we're talking about here I think.

Kool/Jared - I stand corrected re Trex. I hadn't heard anything about it in a long time.
    One of you want to show me around there some weekend?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I have been trying to ride the AS trail for about 4 years with someone who knows the trail system. Would anyone be willing to allow myself and a few of my friends to tag along on a ride this Saturday. Or just be kind and show us around so we don't get lost...lol
    The last time I rode there was in '07 and I was a noob. I'll put it this way, 8 hours and almost 30 miles later I made it back to the car..lol!!
    We can hang too, so have no worries there:-)

Thank you all and have a good day.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    eddiek118, you mean this Saturday as in September 7th? Let me know, I'll be back in town that day and I'll show you the standard if you wish. I'm going to ride that day anyway.....On vacation now, getting tired of the road bike.....time for some dirt, and rocks, and roots, and rocks....
    Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Oh and the project, sounds awesome....I really do wish I still lived there, I had a good talk with a business man there about the trails, business, MTB Weekend, for those of you that remember that, Fall Foliage all that....JT really needs a group. The only caution I have is, it seems the people heading this up aren't from the area, and don't seem to want any input from people from the area....this is a red flag....but, that might all just be lost in translation through an internet forum....but I will pass the word of this thread to some of the folks I know from the area...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vack View Post
    eddiek118, you mean this Saturday as in September 7th? Let me know, I'll be back in town that day and I'll show you the standard if you wish. I'm going to ride that day anyway.....On vacation now, getting tired of the road bike.....time for some dirt, and rocks, and roots, and rocks....
    VACK, thank you for the reply and your willingness. Yep this Saturday. I'll send you a private mssg and here is my email. yetieddie5@gmail.com

mtbr member
    the only caution I have is, it seems the people heading this up aren't from the area, and don't seem to want any input from people from the area....this is a red flag....but, that might all just be lost in translation through an internet forum....but I will pass the word of this thread to some of the folks I know from the area...
    I have no idea why you would write that we aren't from the area and don't want input. The ones involved so far are about an hour away. We all grew up riding there weekly. It's not in our particular interest to drive that far every weekend to build if there is an organized group willing to take charge if this project ever starts.
    There's one person trying to get a major project started and he has a ton of hoops to jump through to get a project started. The whole "we don't want input" is wrong too. But reiterating what I said in the last sentence, we don't want 50 people showing up and 50 ideas clashing. Rather, 1 person managing, 1-3 people who are properly trained on trail layout, and a dedicated crew in the JT/Lehighton area to build, maintain and represent riders as a responsible group. Frankly, the dirty work will be done for you.
    If I could, I'd lay it out for everyone, but it's not my project or Hubbard 's project. It's a buddy's idea and up to him to get the ball rolling.

I've received only 2 pm' s from people interested in building. With a lack of interest, it will be even harder to prove that this is a good idea. Who will build and maintain these trails? That's why this post was started. Help me show them that we're ready to rebuild the JT area and make it the "East Coast mountain biking Capital" it was in the late 90's! Ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    This is definitely that chance that could fix everyone's gripes about how the JT area used to be a mtb destination but isn't anymore. Time to man up, people!
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Like I said man, might have been lost in translation on a forum...it's all good, was just the way I read your posts, been down this road before about trails and been burned. But it's effing awesome sauce that you guys are even doing this! If I lived in the area yet, I would be there with Rake, Polski, and Trimmer in hand, every single trail day, and if there is one when I'm back to visit relatives, I'll come help.

Did you approach any of the local shops about this project? I'm quite sure they'd be on board. Blue Mountain Sports, White Water, Dn'A Bikes, Spokes, Bike Line, Saucon Valley, just to name a few. NEPMTBA is a club in the area as well. Also JTX, is another guy I'd contact. I wish ya luck, there is a guy who does weekly rides in Thorpe....his posts are on here. Might want to get a hold of him too. I'm just trying to brainstorm, some people that could be key in helping get it off the ground.

Damn I need to move home.........I still think it's the best riding in PA, and still has the most potential to be even better. I don't mean just JT but the whole area.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Having seen and ridden the trails that Rob (LarryFahn) has built up at Hubbard and Moosic Mtn, I can only say that his input and help would be much appreciated. I use to live at the base of the broad mountain (Weatherly side) and frequently road the JT trails. I attended most of the mtn bike weekends. I still ride there when I can, but the area is not what it use to be. I'm sure the businesses would love more monetary input into the area but I'm not sure how much help you would see from them. I still live in the area but work away during the week. If this would get off the ground I would be willing to help out but it would have to be on the weekends. Until then I'll wait and see if the ball gets rolling. I sure hope it does.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    NEPMTBA...
    Tee-hehe! ;-)

It's all good. I just wanted to make sure that the thread stayed focused and not turn into a bltchfest.

There is actually one shop in the area showing a lot of interest, but we will be asking other local shops to get involved too. Ttyl, Fahn

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker64 View Post
    Having seen and ridden the trails that Rob (LarryFahn) has built up at Hubbard and Moosic Mtn, I can only say that his input and help would be much appreciated. I use to live at the base of the broad mountain (Weatherly side) and frequently road the JT trails. I attended most of the mtn bike weekends. I still ride there when I can, but the area is not what it use to be. I'm sure the businesses would love more monetary input into the area but I'm not sure how much help you would see from them. I still live in the area but work away during the week. If this would get off the ground I would be willing to help out but it would have to be on the weekends. Until then I'll wait and see if the ball gets rolling. I sure hope it does.
    Thanks. It means a lot to hear that.

mtbr member

has anything new

has anything new come out of this yet? i have to tell you im super stoked to have the opportunity the help build in this area..
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast