Thread: Jim Thorpe??

mtbr member
    May 2006

Jim Thorpe??

My local paper did a summer in the poconos article and they highlight Jim Thorpe under their mountain biking section. I've heard that Jim Thorpe is very nice for biking and have always seen the little flyers advertising. They break the area down into different sections. Does anyone have any good information about the different trails in that area?? The paper gives a beginner, moderate, or advanced rating for the trails but the difficultly level seems to be ranked solely on length. I'd like to go there in the next few weeks to get some biking done since it isn't too far away.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    do a search on Jim Thorpe in this forum and yo will be rewarded with a plethora of information

mtbr member

Jim Thorpe Trail Status

...The overlooks are great..I've ridden mostly the west side of the river trails, including the 30+ mile gravel road along the train track. There are some trails with downed trees that would have been sweet if they were maintained. The trails are difficult depending on how long you ride and in what direction. Basically..remember you might have to ride back that last long and fun downhill. Ticks, rattlesnakes and other wildlife galore..

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by XCProphet
    ...The overlooks are great..I've ridden mostly the west side of the river trails, including the 30+ mile gravel road along the train track. There are some trails with downed trees that would have been sweet if they were maintained. The trails are difficult depending on how long you ride and in what direction. Basically..remember you might have to ride back that last long and fun downhill. Ticks, rattlesnakes and other wildlife galore..
    the 30+ gravel road is actually 21.5 miles and is about as entertaining as a trip to the dentist.

You should check out
    The american standard
    Broad mountain loop
    Bob' Option's
    Switchback gravity railroad
    Summit Hill Loop

If you want I can give you more info on any of those, I don't feel like typing it all out

Also there is a nice book

Mountain Biking Pennsylvania
    Publisher is A Falcon Guide
    Author Rob Ginieczki
    ISBN 1-56044-861-X

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Musichead13
    My local paper did a summer in the poconos article and they highlight Jim Thorpe under their mountain biking section.
    Just curious - what paper would that have been? Do they have the article online by any chance?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    It was in the Pocono Record. Poconorecord.com. I don't know if they have it online because it was a special insert in the newspaper. But like I said, it wasn't really anything too great. It just listed the trails and a few word description of how long the trails are and the intended difficulty level.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Hapytruck01

You should check out
    The american standard
    Nope- cant check it out...illegal trail until PGC decides MTB's dont actually interrupt wildlife fornication

ern
    mtbr member
    May 2006

singletrack or lack of it

We just went to Jim Thorpe for Memorial Day weekend...
    there is a significant lack of mid-range single track.
    Bob's Option was totally covered in leaves so it was impossible to know how far the drops were and the Nekhoning Rim Trail is really rocky and difficult to find...a definite expert run....
    so, if you are planning a trip for what is publicized as a mtn bike Mecca...it is for families and people looking for long endurance runs with very little technical singletrack...
    if someone knows anything different, i am all ears.
    also...apparently the good singletrack is all closed as previously mentioned....

mtbr member

JT trail status

Just to clear things up here is a list of trails in JT and their status. As noted there are not many mid-level trails based on technical difficulty, Twin Peaks is the best bet. We are working on improving singletrack access, updates will be posted here. Trail maps are available to JTTC members, email me at jttrails@hotmail.com.

American Standard- Singletrack/quadtrack/fireroad closed to MTB’s, may be reopened in near future, SGL 141

Broad Mt. Loop- fireroad, open , SGL 141

Coal Cracker- rougher rails to trails/ singletrack descent, open

Deerpath – singletrack, closed to MTB’s, may be reopened in near future, SGL 141

Deerpath 2- Singletrack/quadtrack/fireroad closed to MTB’s, may be reopened in near future, SGL 141

Bob’s Option-Singletrack descent from Mauch Chunk Ridge, open

Indian Path- Singletrack descent from Mount Pisgah, open

Lehigh Gorge Rails to Trails, open

Nesquehoning Ridge- Singletrack, legal status questionable, LNC mine land.

Pine Tar- singletrack, closed to MTB’s, may be reopened in near future, SGL 141

Rim Trail (Green Blaze) singletrack, legal status questionable, LNC mine land.

Switchback- rougher rails to trails/ singletrack descent, open

Twin Peaks- paved/singletrack/quadtrack/fireroad, open

Wagon Road- fireroad/quadtrack descent from Mount Pisgah, open
    Jim Thorpe Trail Coalition
    http://jttrails.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    To add a few...

Tamaqua Bungalow Trails-Single track, mid to upper level difficulty, some quite technical and fast, roller coaster like (you could also ride some fireroads, double track, & quad paths)Very close to JT. Excellent loop would be about 7 miles and take alittle over an hour. But, there is much there to explore too.

Summit Hill Ridge Trails-Single track, mixed in with fireroads and quad paths.Right up the road from JT. There is much there to explore as well.

Weissport to JT & back-Main draw for most people is the Canal towpath to JT, BUT, awesome single track off to the left then right sides have been developed. Short stints on gravel towpath connecting some very cool smooth singletrack. Not advanced but very fast and fun, way different. Start in Weissport(Lehighton area). Out & back will be about 10 miles and take an hour+. Some extra trails to explore.

Tour guide would be great idea to not get lost and to truly enjoy those 3.

BW
    Last edited by bwargula; 05-30-2006 at 03:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quick JT Switchback Trail question. Past the parallel twin stone walls made a quick right and in a few miles got to a cliff that did not look easily passable. Is this the end of the trail or is there a way around? Is this "upper" section still considered the Switchback? Still have not been able to find the overlook of Jim Thorpe I see in pictures.

mtbr member
    I just did that ride for the first time a few weeks ago on the fallenriderfund.com ride. You need to portage across that cliff - its kinda cool - or some of the group split off a little lower just before the cliff section, they were always in sight and came out a few yards past it. The lookouts were'nt too far beyond that - definately some nice views, especially the one towards Glen ONoko!! as far as I know that is all still considered the switchback...but I'm sure there are others more knowledgable
    without hops the world stops

^ The Trail Starts Here ^
    schmidtworld13

Find Mt Pisgah! You will find the views! If yuo park in downtown JT. You can access Mt P from the Wagon Road(uphill baby). Ask at the Blue Mountain Sports.
    [SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    mbike, Lee

Thanks for the info.

Will have to do a little exploring this weekend.

Do you mean portage my bike accross that cliff face? I think I will opt for the detour.

Uphill hater

Detour

If you go back down trail from cliff face, detour will be about 30 yards on your left. Take it below cliff face and then you'll still have to hike a bike up a pretty steep hill, but not far. We used this detour with my ten year old and the ride up to the overlook is well worth the effort!
    Why did Kamikaze pilots wear helmets?

My blog

mtbr member
    May 2005

Twin Peaks

Can that still be accessed by going in at the very top of the road climb? Up and left and out through psycho betty to mauch chunk ridge???

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    James- they paved the road and clear-cut the top but as far as I know you can still get there from Psycho betty....Lath, any details on what is going on at the top near the night-club?

mtbr member

the usual....

I ran into a guy on a quad last spring who claimed to be thinking of buying the land up there from Arner. I'm not sure if he did or not, but in the last year new orange tape appeared and then they started to cut down a bunch more trees. That seems to be a pattern up here, you buy a nice piece of property in the woods and then proceed to cut all of the trees down. If you haven't noticed, that's what's been going on across from the lake. There people have either then built an awful McMansion or put a doublewide in, then they try to grow grass around it! I heard that was pretty much the plan for up on Mauch Chunk too, 14-16 McMansions. On the other hand developing that land never seems to move too fast. When I moved up here 3 years ago I looked into a lot up there and he wanted a lot for it concidering it had no paved access or services, the deal killer was that he wanted to limit me to building a "Luxury Home", when I wanted to build a sustainable Japanese style post and beam building. For the last couple months nothing more seems to have happened up there....we'll see.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    There are 86 houses going in. This is from the April 16th Morning Call:

" Developer Jacob Arner has worked for three years to gain approval of the plans, reaching an agreement with the borough to improve Flagstaff Mountain Road by doing some paving, installing guardrails and painting lines.

In phase one of the project, Arner plans to install 39 lots. Phase two calls for 24 lots, phase three 13 lots and phase four 10 lots. The land is zoned special and medium residential. Arner plans to erect single-family homes 2,000 square feet or larger.

Arner has said he plans to build homes that will work within the wooded environment. Arner has agreed to some minimal curbing and lighting in the development."

mtbr member

Thanks for the info!

I missed that story. I guess he is sticking to his original plan. I'll have to see if we can meet with him about planning some trails through/around the development.

mtbr member

Is Galen's still there?

Will housing on Flagstaff spell the end to the miles of babyheads on Galen's.

Damn, what a loss that would be.

mtbr member

I don't know what you're talking about...

...I never noticed any babyheads From the markings to looks like the houses will end right were the quad trail starts. Hopefully we will be able to route a new trail over to there, or else we will have to see if we will be able to ride through the "neighborhood".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thorpe Trails
    ...I never noticed any babyheads From the markings to looks like the houses will end right were the quad trail starts. Hopefully we will be able to route a new trail over to there, or else we will have to see if we will be able to ride through the "neighborhood".

Hey man, I would just like to state that the 2 yrs I spent at Mtn Bike weekend in JT I loved! The 2nd year I went, I brought my fiancee' and she fell in love with JT as well. It's a great place for her and I to go because while she likes mtn biking she doesn't LOVE riding as much as I do and the accessable trails are right at her skill level. However, recently it seems that JT has lost a lot of it's "pull" to get mtn bikers to come and ride. More and more I hear people say "don't ride there, ride XXXXX it's better" and so on. I love JT and I love it for more than just the mtn biking, however as I'm sure you know JT's economy is largly based on the adventure seeker's dollar and if they lose the mtn bikers because of all the restrictions on the trials the town will be less prosperous. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir but it's something I've noticed the past year or so. Both sides of my family were born and raised in the coal regions of Eastern PA so the town signifies more than just a Mtn Bike ride when I'm there and I'll never stop staying in Jim Thorpe.