Nov 2010

jacobsburg

who here rides jacobsburg?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    delete double

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I used to ride there a lot in the late 90's and early 00's. I liked it because it was convenient while I was living nearby.

I didn't like that all obstacles were quickly removed, and rough spots smoothed out. And the place was literally paved with horse poo.

Not sure if it's gotten better or worse since then. But if I lived nearby, I'd still ride there. I'm about an hour southwest of there and I have no desire to return. There are so many better options.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Rode it last summer - I live about 40 minutes south of there. Reminds me a little of Blue Marsh but a lot smaller, a little more hilly, and no lake. IMHO and FWIW (which may not be much):

Ride 'burg if you've got a XC HT and you want a fast ride, especially in the winter when everything's frozen up. Ride it if you're a noob - a lot of its manicured mowed double-track or even screening-packed smooth-as-butter singletrack. Its also good if you want a social pace with other riders thinking the same. Families with kids relatively new to mtbs will do OK there too although there is a decent % of trail with decent elevation change.

Don't ride 'burg if you got a FS AM or FR rig and like drops, miles and miles of rocky/rooty singletrack, logovers, etc. That place is NOT for you. There's a couple of fairly well-hidden stretches that are a little fun that but not much. There's a couple old slate quarries with singletrack going over berms into them that looked really interesting from the top but I didn't have time to look at them when I was there with T-storms moving in. Oh, there's still lots of horse crap - not as much as Green Lane but still enough to be annoying. If you ride right after a rain when the ground's just a little tacky, that gray-grit screening stuff will flick up and over you in a serious way.

All in all, I don't want to be negative on the place - I've heard that the park manager there is pro-mtb, they do take nice care of the place, and it has a lot of riders who love riding there so go ride!

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Whoops, just saw this duplicate...

I rode there more when I lived up in that area (Stockertown), but since moving down towards Quakertown, I don't get up there as much.
    It's a fun place to get out for a relaxed ride, nothing super technical, and there are some fast/flowy sections.
    They have ruined some of the better sections the past few years, with widening of singletrack, and removal of some technical climbs.
    I know Curt's Cyclery in Nazareth does a Tuesday night ride there, their a good group to ride with.

...and as mentioned, lots of horse poop at times.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    yeah still lots of horse poop and horses it came from. im still trying to learn a good route i get lost and end up on alot of the "towpath" type stuff .....

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff
    Whoops, just saw this duplicate...

I rode there more when I lived up in that area (Stockertown), but since moving down towards Quakertown, I don't get up there as much.
    It's a fun place to get out for a relaxed ride, nothing super technical, and there are some fast/flowy sections.
    They have ruined some of the better sections the past few years, with widening of singletrack, and removal of some technical climbs.
    I know Curt's Cyclery in Nazareth does a Tuesday night ride there, their a good group to ride with.

...and as mentioned, lots of horse poop at times.
    Yeah, I live in Quakertown too. Not much to ride around here Trust me the new trail system Valley Mountain Bikers was approved by the state to build out out at Nockamixon S.P. will be much nicer than Jacobsburg and bigger than High Rocks. Nice flowy singletrack through mature woods, cedar groves, lots of lakeviews, cool creek crossings, etc. We work every Sunday(started in late Sept.) from 9:00 A.M to 3 or 4 P.M. unless there's bad weather and we're almost halfway-done. We can always use more volunteers!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by roxnroots
    Yeah, I live in Quakertown too. Not much to ride around here Trust me the new trail system Valley Mountain Bikers was approved by the state to build out out at Nockamixon S.P. will be much nicer than Jacobsburg and bigger than High Rocks. Nice flowy singletrack through mature woods, cedar groves, lots of lakeviews, cool creek crossings, etc. We work every Sunday(started in late Sept.) from 9:00 A.M to 3 or 4 P.M. unless there's bad weather and we're almost halfway-done. We can always use more volunteers!
    sounds cool pm me with more details about where to meet.... and what you could usehelp with ......

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    never mind i found the info on the valley bikeers site ...... how will i know if it gets cancled ?

edit.

i guess i could call the # listed

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I went to Jacobsburg twice and got confused, felt sorta like I wasn't on the right trails for MTBing and felt like I was accidentally riding a walking path

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX
    I went to Jacobsburg twice and got confused, felt sorta like I wasn't on the right trails for MTBing and felt like I was accidentally riding a walking path

yeah that happens tme too but the trails i do find are pretty fun

Paper Mill Aleworks
    Quote Originally Posted by roxnroots
    We work every Sunday(started in late Sept.) from 9:00 A.M to 3 or 4 P.M. unless there's bad weather and we're almost halfway-done. We can always use more volunteers!
    I've been meaning to make it out the past few weeks, but it never happens...maybe this weekend
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. - Winston Churchill

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by davis119
    never mind i found the info on the valley bikeers site ...... how will i know if it gets cancled ?

edit.

i guess i could call the # listed
    Nox build days are usually listed as an event on the site and cancellation due to extreme weather would probably be listed there. Like you said, you could always call the # listed if you have any doubt.

We have had perfect weather so far to build since late September but it looks like this Sunday we might run out of luck with ce and/or heavy rain. Long-range forecast for the following Sunday the 19th looks good though. We DO work in cold and wind.

Once the ground freezes up and we can't benchcut, do cribbing, or rockarmor creek crossings we will spend the rest of the winter corridor clearing brush along the remaining half of the trail system near the dam. Once things thaw in the spring we will resume earthwork and final grooming.

Trailbuilders are allowed to ride on trailbuilding Sundays to test built and nearly-completed sections of trail (and to start packing it in) so bring your ride. Trails, by state requirement are CLOSED the rest of the week until the official opening in the late spring.

Hope you can join us!
    Last edited by roxnroots; 12-07-2010 at 02:27 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by JFryauff
    I've been meaning to make it out the past few weeks, but it never happens...maybe this weekend
    This Sunday isn't looking good with ice and/or heavy rain which would cancel - cold and wind won't. The Valley Mountain Biker site has more info. We were meeting at the parking lot at Tower and Fink roads at the east end of the park about a half-mile off Rt. 611 But we've made enough progress that now we're meeting at Fink and Foellner roads by the gated park road leading towards the dam. This part of Fink is closer to South Park Road.

The following Sunday the 19th looks better weatherwise. Like I said in the other post trailbuilders are allowed to ride on build Sundays to test and pack in the finished trails (about half of what's approved) so bring your ride. The state isn't allowing any riding the rest of the week until the official opening in the late spring.

See ya there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX
    The relatively short sections of "fun" singletrack ARE there but kinda hidden in the woods. It'd be easy to miss them in warm weather because there's a lot of brushy stuff along the woods' edges that hides them from view.

BTW: Most of what you rode there WERE walking paths. I call their trail grooming the Central Park effect.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    any one riding there tomorrow ?

Rob