Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

IUP/Pennsylvania

Looking for riders around the area, if any exist that is. I've been grasping at straws trying to find local riders. Seems the only "riders" I ever meet are people with fully wally world bikes who've never seen dirt.

Any riders see this get ahold of me. The trails are so lonely and cold

mtbr member
    I ll be at IUP tomorrow, I have a Heckler and a Chameleon no wally world bikes here. I might bring the chameleon to get around town tomorrow. Where do you ride at IUP?

Keith
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

IUP ride

Whites Woods by the College Lodge if you like to go up as much as down that is... Lot of short steep hills good for training. Hit me up coz I load the truck on Sat mornings from the stadium lot and take serious riders only up to Laurel Mtn or Roaring Run.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcornell
    Whites Woods by the College Lodge if you like to go up as much as down that is... Lot of short steep hills good for training. Hit me up coz I load the truck on Sat mornings from the stadium lot and take serious riders only up to Laurel Mtn or Roaring Run.
    I try to get up there at least 4 times a week or more depending on work and such. I've never ridden at Laurel Mtn or Roaring Run. What are they like?

Quote Originally Posted by keith13
    I ll be at IUP tomorrow, I have a Heckler and a Chameleon no wally world bikes here. I might bring the chameleon to get around town tomorrow. Where do you ride at IUP?

Keith
    There's whites woods, college lodge, blue spruce park, and I've heard there are some trails at at two lick dam, But I haven't really found anything yet out there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    If you ever get closer to Pittsburgh let me know. I just started getting back into it and pulled my old cannondale outta the closet. Let's just say that its seen its share of dirt.
    Jamie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 94M400
    If you ever get closer to Pittsburgh let me know. I just started getting back into it and pulled my old cannondale outta the closet. Let's just say that its seen its share of dirt.
    Jamie
    I ride the Ghost Town Trail sometimes. That's about as close to Pittsburgh I ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Laurel Mtn consists of a network of great rocky, root infested, twisty trails with nature/man made stunts built in. This weekend i'll be at 7-Springs for the race but the following Friday and Sunday I will be heading up to Laurel to ride. I also recomend 7-springs for the downhill course and the cross country trails.

mtbr member
    Hey how fit are you guys that ride Laurel Mountain and roaring run? I don't want to get too embarassed if I show up? I am living in Monroeville at the moment so I could definitely meet up for a roaring run ride and I really want to go check out Laurel Mountain !!!
    2007'ish Heckler and 2006 Chameleon
    If anyone needs the help of a prototype/custom machinist let me know.

mtbr member
    You owe to to yourself to check out laurel mt. I am very fit and usually spend the day doing most of the trails there. That said, there are trails that everyone can enjoy. I see some really serious guys there on high dollar bikes and I see beginners on wally world bikes all having a good time.

I think its one of the best rides I've been on anywhere in the US. Nice scenery and a good balance of climbs and technical challenges. The trails are nicely marked and pretty well maintained. There aren't any really long sustained climbs so if you encounter a climb you can't do, just push the bike up. The bigger challenge is the rocks. There are some trails that are almost entirely coverd in large rocks so if you are looking for techincal challenge you will find plenty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I've have to say Laurel Mtn is also my favorite place to ride. It's variety of trails and sites (Wolf Rock) make it ideal. Pack up the Camel Back with a lunch head out from the parking lot across from the entrance to the ski area and explore. Trail maps are available at the parking lot at the DCNR board. Can't miss it.

mtbr member
    keith id say im an avg rider. i live in plum and ride roaring run a few times a week. i usually ride a pretty casual pace with frequent breaks, though i have gone out on many intermediate rides and had no problem keeping up. let me know if your interested in car pooling a ride up there. im also planning to head out to laurel mtn in the coming weeks, though ive never ridden there. trying to find some people to get together and ride there too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bprush
    keith id say im an avg rider. i live in plum and ride roaring run a few times a week. i usually ride a pretty casual pace with frequent breaks, though i have gone out on many intermediate rides and had no problem keeping up. let me know if your interested in car pooling a ride up there. im also planning to head out to laurel mtn in the coming weeks, though ive never ridden there. trying to find some people to get together and ride there too.
    Count me in for Laurel Mt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dascro
    Count me in for Laurel Mt
    Ditto here. I know you're gone this weekend, but the following weekend I am all for it. When did you say you left from the Stadium lot?

mtbr member
    im looking to go to laurelmtn monday morning maybe around 9 or so from monroeville. anyonr interested let me know and we can figure out somewhere to meet. im trying to get a few people due to gas costs plus i also dont wantto ride in an area that big alone in cause of some sort of injury. i will also have a gps so no worries on getting lost. plus from what i hear the trails are fairly well marked

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Laurel Mtn 9-6-08

Anyone interested ? I'm healing from last weeks 24hr race but the neighbor is bugging me to take him back on the mtn. Truck will pull out early morning.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I ride at Yellow creek park. Nothing great but some killer hills. I have to push. It's pretty complex I rode there about 5 times If I went alone I would get lost.

mtbr member
    I'm heading to Roaring Run in Apollo Sunday with my neighbor. So if anyone will be out around there hope see ya.
    "Solution to two of the world's problems: Feed the homeless to the hungry."

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrix
    I'm heading to Roaring Run in Apollo Sunday with my neighbor. So if anyone will be out around there hope see ya.
    racing there tomorrow...never been there though.

what times you guys heading out, might have to throw the road and the MTB in the car on sunday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA
    racing there tomorrow...never been there though.

what times you guys heading out, might have to throw the road and the MTB in the car on sunday.
    I have to talk to my neighbor, but I'm wanting to leave at 11 am at the latest. We're not far from there at all. We want to spend at least 6 hours out there riding. We'll both be riding HT's. I'll be on a blue Hardrock and he'll be on a silver Trek 4300.

I've never ridden the trails but I heard they vary in extremeties. So I'm debating what equipment to bring. I don't know if a full face will be worth it or not, would you justify it for any of the trails out there?

EDIT: NVM...haha I completely tuned out "never been there though." Eh screw it, might as well bring it just in case.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrix
    I have to talk to my neighbor, but I'm wanting to leave at 11 am at the latest. We're not far from there at all. We want to spend at least 6 hours out there riding. We'll both be riding HT's. I'll be on a blue Hardrock and he'll be on a silver Trek 4300.

I've never ridden the trails but I heard they vary in extremeties. So I'm debating what equipment to bring. I don't know if a full face will be worth it or not, would you justify it for any of the trails out there?

EDIT: NVM...haha I completely tuned out "never been there though." Eh screw it, might as well bring it just in case.
    after riding there today... thisis what I can give you.

VERY technical riding,, made for a tough race course today. 15 miles and my arms and shoulders are way more sore than my legs.

some of the rock rides there looked pretty sick didnt hit them because I was racing.

Expect tons of rocks of all sizes, a good measuring of roots tons of quick up and down. Steep roll down, and slickrock on dirt uphills. the only thing I didnt like was the sidehills argh my 175mm cranks kept hitting the ground.

i wouldnt wear a full face there ever, lots of tech but nothing you go really fast on. and a full face riding some place you actually have to pedal sucks big time.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info.

We'll be out there around like 2-3 ish tomorrow.

mtbr member
    We made it down there, got to ride some really technical trails then whaddya know? The two screws holding my hanger on went missing somehow....

That was a shitty walk back to the parking lot.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hey folks, I live in Indiana, but don't attend IUP though I did gradumacate from there.

There used to be a shop ride fro the place on Philadelphia St around 5:00 on Wednesdays I believe.

I commute from Indiana to Blairsville a few times a week and ride SS up in Whites Woods when I can. If anyone wants to meet up sometime let me know.

mtbr member
    My bike is going to be in the shop for at least a week. If you're referring to the Trailz End shop on Philly street I'll ask him about that when I take my bike in for some repairs.

Not this coming monday/tuesday but the following I and my neighbor will be heading down to Roaring Run again to ride. If anyone wants to set up a ride down there get back to me.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    This week is looking nice. If I don't commute a day this week, I may sneak of for a local ride.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast