Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Freshly Fujified

It's project time

Is there a gene inherent in cyclists that tells us we must constantly building something? I recently completed (or so I think) the customization on my Ibex, which I use for tooling around the paved paths with the kids:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...34751#poststop

And now I just bit the bullet on this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEBI%3AIT&rd=1

It's gonna be a budget build, as I already have the wheelset (from the Ibex) and I'm eyeing up a set of LX cranks ($70/shipped and I already have the BB) and I'll throw a Magura Asgard fork ($220 shipped) up front. The rest will come in time as I find deals.

I think I need counselling.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    i got that gene but i never have mony or space to do what i wanna do

and btw, bling ibex

Freshly Fujified

Money? Space?

Quote Originally Posted by aggiebiker
    i got that gene but i never have mony or space to do what i wanna do

and btw, bling ibex
    Who said I have the money or space? Like I said, I need counselling.

Glad you like the Ibex.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    when you find a good doctor let me know, before my wife Throws me and my bikes out of the house.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    That IBEX of yours is SWEET. BTW, I'm in the same boat, I've been spending the last week trying to convince myself NOT to buy another bike. I'm not sure it's working.

3 "fiddy" for short
    Quote Originally Posted by le0p
    That IBEX of yours is SWEET. BTW, I'm in the same boat, I've been spending the last week trying to convince myself NOT to buy another bike. I'm not sure it's working.

This is your mind speaking, BUY THE BIKE, I say, BUY THE BIKE le0p!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    i got 12 bikes in the basement with me right now. and one girlfriend upstairs.

i've never heard one complaint from the former, and i've heard millions from the latter.

pretty simple choice, i'd say.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    So I guess thats why I have not heard anything from you about those wheels. If you ever want to go out riding agian send over a pm

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Call_me_Clyde
    Is there a gene inherent in cyclists that tells us we must constantly building something? I recently completed (or so I think) the customization on my Ibex, which I use for tooling around the paved paths with the kids:

I think I need counselling.

Bob
    I think I'm in the same boat.

Building two hardtails, upgrading parts on the full suspension & restoring my 90 Schwinn hardtail. Wifey won't be too happy when she see's I just purchased an X9 RD, XGen front, E13 Bash, cables, tires & grips today. Most off ebay too

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    yeah, i've been a ghost on the trails the past month and a half. if you need to get ahold of me, call the shop. i'm there most days. i can still do most things that don't involve prolonged standing or a lot of walking.

Freshly Fujified

Brown Santa just arrived

And he dropped this off. I also got the cranks for it today. More stuff to come as I hunt out more goodies. It's gonna be about $400 to get this bike done, but I think it's gonna be one hell of a budget build. We'll see....

BTW. I'm no weight weenie. Is 3 lb 13.5 oz light?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Call_me_Clyde; 07-19-2006 at 06:30 PM.

ride hard take risks
    The Ibex Trophy weight's 3.8 so 3 should be good

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dogonfr
    The Ibex Trophy weight's 3.8 so 3 should be good
    3lbs 13.5oz isn't 3#. That's reasonably light. And I have bike building issues as well. Things I want:
    A freeride bike
    A fixie road bike
    A full suspension XC bike
    A rigid 29er SS

Gaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! Too expensive!!!!!! ARRRRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I'm thinking about getting an IronHorse 7point..... drool. Then there's this guy selling a fixie locally. I can get that. Then I get to do the 29er myself maybe. The FS will be a bit later... Damn, I'm gonna be one broke SOB.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    3lbs 13.5oz isn't 3#. That's reasonably light. And I have bike building issues as well. Things I want:
    A freeride bike
    A fixie road bike
    A full suspension XC bike
    A rigid 29er SS

Gaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! Too expensive!!!!!! ARRRRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I'm thinking about getting an IronHorse 7point..... drool. Then there's this guy selling a fixie locally. I can get that. Then I get to do the 29er myself maybe. The FS will be a bit later... Damn, I'm gonna be one broke SOB.
    Snot nosed kids!!! Get a real bike like a Versus not a IronGiddyUp & your too young to be broke when you dont pay rent or any major bills. I love your list, IwantIwantIwantIwant, sweet. What am i going to do with you HAB!!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I caved Just bought one of these (Frame only) to build.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Snot nosed kids!!! Get a real bike like a Versus not a IronGiddyUp & your too young to be broke when you dont pay rent or any major bills. I love your list, IwantIwantIwantIwant, sweet. What am i going to do with you HAB!!!
    Eh, I was kinda kidding, I'll prolly get the freeride bike, but that's it. I don't have much to pay by the way of bills, but I don't have a full time job either.......

And you can't tell me you don't secretly want a big stable full of bikes.

Freshly Fujified

Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by le0p
    I caved Just bought one of these (Frame only) to build.
    Very nice job caving there, Leo. I trust this WON'T be a budget build??

Fill us in on the components.

Bob

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Very nice job caving there, Leo. I trust this WON'T be a budget build??

Fill us in on the components.

Bob
    Well, it's going to be as budget as I can make it while still getting a solid build. Alot of it is still up in the air but so far, I've specced out an X.9 RD/shifter (w/ SRAM Cassette), Race Face Evolve XC Crank, and FSA Headset as definite.

For the fork, I'm looking for something 140-150mm, probably a Pike, Travis (or Nixon), or AM SL. Still looking around here, lot's of options.

For wheels, I'm torn between using the wheels on my IBEX (ritchey/singletrack), which are more fitting on this bike than the IBEX, and buying burlier wheels for that bike, or just getting a new set here.

Brakes, just waiting for a deal on something hydraulic, probably Juicy's.

Everything else, I'm just watching for deals. Trying to keep it under $2K total, but it's going to be close.

"El Whatever"
    And he dropped this off. I also got the cranks for it today. More stuff to come as I hunt out more goodies. It's gonna be about $400 to get this bike done, but I think it's gonna be one hell of a budget build. We'll see....

BTW. I'm no weight weenie. Is 3 lb 13.5 oz light?
    You bike ho' did it again!!!!

Congrats, bro!

If you guys haven't noticed... this guys here (Bob) has the innate ability to snage sweet stuff at ebay for crazy low deals.

It reminds me of a paint scheme I had on a bike years ago... man, that brings me memories.

Keep us updated with the build.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    i don't know anything about leader but just looking at the font it's written in makes me wanna listen to some KISS

Freshly Fujified

Too funny

Quote Originally Posted by lanceh
    i don't know anything about leader but just looking at the font it's written in makes me wanna listen to some KISS
    Let's just say their forte isn't graphics design!! The frame is pretty nice. I believe the top and down tubes are hydroformed. My guess is they go to someone like Giant or Merida (sp?) for their frame production. I bought this based on how much I like my 626S full suspension rig. (I'm cheap!)

Bob

Freshly Fujified

Parts are on their way

Well, I ordered the final bits and pieces over the weekend. Looks like we're going to have an LX drive train, BB 7 brakes, Selle Italia saddle, Truvativ bars, Planet X seatpost, WTB Tyrannoraptor tires and Atac Alium pedals. I went WAY cheapo on the fork in order to keep the cost around $500.00 (My target was $400, but I went with better derailleurs and brakes). Hopefully I won't regret that decision. I should have everything here in the next week or so just in time to begin the build when I come back from camping. Ironically, I'll be taking the bike out for it's first real ride at Ricketts Glen the next weekend as I meet up with some friends for yet another couple days of camping.

Bob

mtbr member
    So what did you get for a fork?

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtails Are Better
    So what did you get for a fork?

Freshly Fujified

You had to ask...

I purchased a Suntour Duro D for $60.00 shipped off ebay (New bike take off including spacers and Cane Creek Aheadset). It's dual coil and has 32mm stanchions. This is a huge gamble, as it may be $60.00 wasted, but I couldn't pass it up. Hopefully it will be good enough for the XC type riding I'll be using this bike for. If not, back to the original plan of buying the Asgard.

In the end, dog's fork may very well have been a better choice. More to come (including pics) as I start the build.

Bob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast