Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

It's official (Reading shuttle day info)

2nd Annual Reading Ride Day!
    Hello everyone,

As the race season approaches we are all itching to ride and with this beautiful weather in play I am happy to announce the 2nd Annual Reading Ride day presented by Team Crash-or-win. Formally know as LoweRiders. It will take place on Saturday April 10th rain or shine. We will have two trucks this year (depending on the number or RSVPs) If we get the necesary number of people there will be a truck running both front and backside of the hill. The trails will be well marked this year and just as fun as ever. We have even added a few new features that I am sure people will enjoy. There will be Free hot dogs being given away up top.

We will be meeting at the Fire Tower at 9:00am
    Riding will go until 4:00pm
    Address is to the Pagoda, the Fire Tower is about 1 mile farther up the hill

98 duryea drive reading pa

We will be accepting $25 donations for shuttle rides.
    All donations go to promote the Crash-or-Win Race team in their adventures for 2010.
    Please rsvp to bry5006@psu.edu

Sponsors: LoweRiders Bikes and Boards, Derailedonline.com, Royal Racing, SixSixOne, Promotive Industries
    Team _________

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    okay, i've been convinced, i'm in.

I'll be heading down from Kingston.

i'll be working on building my skills to stay attached to my pedals all day long, to be sure (trying to finish converting from clipless to platform).

EMail sent.

Thanks for hosting. ;^)

trail addict
    Awesome. I had a great time last year.

I'll be putting the date on the calendar. I will RSVP as soon as I know I am a definite.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    I RSVP'd and am really looking forward to it!!! Going up to check it out this weekend.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Hey i tryed to RSVP, but the email didnt work for me. can someone give me a hand with this?

mtbr member
    didnt work for me either....

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Worked for me yesterday. He replied and everything.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Worked for me as well, emailed with Brian back and forth yesterday.

mtbr member
    Maybe there was a problem with the mail server. I know that email address is valid. I'm going up to check on the trail conditions this afternoon, and we'll get to work on them soon.
    Team _________

mtbr member
    Got it to work, thanks...went up there today from Baltimore...loved it had a great time...met some super cool local guys...great riding with ya!!!

Pictures here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/25184533@N04/

trail addict
    Quote Originally Posted by cableguy46
    Got it to work, thanks...went up there today from Baltimore...loved it had a great time...met some super cool local guys...great riding with ya!!!

Pictures here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/25184533@N04/
    Dude, those pictures are getting me so stoked to ride. My wife is OK with me going that weekend, so I should be RSVPing... don't know if anyone else from Bloomsburg is coming down with me yet.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Alright, i think it worked. see you all on the 10th!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    This past Saturday, I noticed for the first time some "please no bikes" signs on the trail just below the firetower (near the old stone fire-places, close to the stairs down from the parking lot, around where you'll see gravel on the trail). The signs must be really new, as I was there a few times on skis recently and I never noticed them. I hope they weren't in response to this event by someone looking for conflict and an excuse to further limit MTB's.

Please respect local rules and other trail users. You could encounter hikers, bikers, runners, horses, unleashed dogs, young children and senior citizens. PLEASE ride responsibly. And have a BLAST! The trails have been in great shape lately, with suprisingly little dead fall, considering all the snow we had.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Did they look official? Or just like someone trying to mess things up?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    They were professionally made and official looking. But I don't think they indicated by whose order the trail was restricted. It was just a short section of trail below the firetower, that ended on road up to the firetower. I wonder if some of the old stonework is historical or something.

If you look at a google map, the signs are in the wedge formed by Skyline Dr. and Spuhler Lane (the firetower road). I was following a trail with red dots (not red bars) painted on the trees when I encountered the signs. The off-limits section is short, probably only a couple hundred yards, IIRC. It can be easily avoided, unless that's where you were hoping to ride in the first place. Hope that helps.

Have fun. I'm usually all over the mountain on weekends. I'll give a shout if I see you guys.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I know exactly where you are talking about. Its the trail that starts right at the steps behind the tower. I heard that they wanted to close that section of trail off to bikes. I think it is only a few hundred yards or so like you said, only till past those stone grills(ovens) It has nothing to do with a response to downhilling. I think it does have some historical qualities and that's why they put the sign up and they also put some crushed stone down too, even last year the stone was down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Yep, that's the spot. The problem is that once you ride all the way out and see the first sign (heading south), you'd have to turn around and go back. Maybe we should put a new trail in there, from just before the first sign, down to the main red blazed trail. It could then tie into some of those windy mazes below the red.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Yes, I was thinking of maybe getting a trail from the tower parking lot more towards the north side and tie it in to that trail further down past the crushed stone. I haven't taken a close look at it yet!

trail addict
    RSVPed today. I'll be heading down as long as the weather isn't real bad.

mtbr member
    it looks like we'll be doing 2 trucks this year.
    Team _________

mtbr member
    Yo fellas, I am getting amped up for this Sat! Is everything still a go? We have a crew of about 10 coming from Philly that I know of, probably more. Where do we park? Thanks!
    bike = good

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You have to park at the firetower which is up the road from the Pagoda!!

mtbr member
    Everything is go, park in the gravel lot at the firetower ( at the top of skyline drive). Weather is gonna be perfect!! Tacky dirt and 60's.
    Team _________

trail addict
    Thanks guys, today was a blast. Conditions were the best I've seen in Reading. Two trucks made things a lot easier from our point of view. Best of all, I kept the rubber down all day and hit a few lines I never tried before!

Good luck with the racing season.

mtbr member
    What a blast it was today...thanks to all the organizers...the shuttles ran fast giving all of us tons of rides today...met a great group of fellow DHers...hope to see ya all again....I put some pictures on my flickr site from today...

LOVED THE BUNKER!!!!!

WHAT A GREAT WAY TO FINISH FOR THIS RIDER, DISEMBARKING THE SHUTTLE:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast