mtbr member

Info on blue marsh

What kind of riding is there at Blue Marsh? I have never been there but plan on going as soon as the weather will cooperate. Can someone give me some info.... types of riding, where to start from, etc. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Blue Marsh is an ideal XC ride. It consists mostly of rolling singletrack type terrain. There are a few good climbs and descents. The whole loop is around 30 miles or if you
    cross over on Church Road, it's about 24 miles. Everybody has there preferences on where to start from, but I prefer to start at the Stilling Basin and ride counter-clockwise.
    The key during Summer months is to bring plenty of gels, snacks, and water(<100oz.).
    One downside is, it takes awhile to dry out. Usually by late May-early June the trails are
    pretty well dry. Check the Army Corps. of Engineers website for more info. Feel free to email me for more info or if you want to get together and ride.

mtbr member

Have a look here:

Blue Marsh: detailed trail map

Blue Marsh Enduro October 27, 2007

Quote Originally Posted by tybrackman84
    What kind of riding is there at Blue Marsh? I have never been there but plan on going as soon as the weather will cooperate. Can someone give me some info.... types of riding, where to start from, etc. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Great place to ride if you don't like technical,a few good climbs,some nice woods single track.French Creek and Antietam lake area are much more challenging.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Antietam lake??

Quote Originally Posted by readingracing
    French Creek and Antietam lake area are much more challenging.
    Never heard of Antietam Lake. Where's this trail system located? Is there much there?

(Sorry for the hijack!)

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Never heard of Antietam Lake. Where's this trail system located? Is there much there?

(Sorry for the hijack!)
    no problem i'd like to hear about it too.... and french creek or anywhere else anyone has info on

thanks for all the info so far!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I think reading racing means MT.Penn there is a lot of trails on both sides of the mountain I have been there 3 times now but was with others that know which way to go.

mtbr member

Bm 08

Keep an eye out in the PA forums. I will be posting a spring 2008 Blue Marsh Enduro for anyone interested. It is looking like mid-May (maybe the 10th). Those that went last year had a good time. Too bad our fall ride rained out in October........

Quote Originally Posted by tybrackman84

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by trekmike
    Keep an eye out in the PA forums. I will be posting a spring 2008 Blue Marsh Enduro for anyone interested. It is looking like mid-May (maybe the 10th). Those that went last year had a good time. Too bad our fall ride rained out in October........
    FWIW, I think there is a race on the 10th at French Creek.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Antietam and Mt Penn have epic technical single track,with some fireroads.also a network of freeride and DH runs.Reading Racing has an agreement with the city of Reading who owns the property.They have givin us the authority to oversee mtn biking and the trail systems on the property.and they want to encourage more outdoor activities in the area.there are no trail maps,but some trails are marked,working on maps in the future.I just recently finished two trails,with more slated in the future.if you want to come out to ride just contact me and we can set something up.

mtbr member
    readingracing and bankofdad can you please give me some info on antietem and mt. penn ....................thank you very much

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Well tybackman84 do you know where the pagoda in reading is? on either side of that are trails and at the bottom of the mountain side is antietem lake /pond and parking area.I would say french creek is more technial then MT Penn as some call it but not like blue marsh.French creek has rock gardens, water bars on the hills that are built up with rocks that make it tricky climbing or decending,Blue marsh has little technial just a lot of climbs that will zap your energy,MT Penn has rocks here and there log crossings, climbs because it is on a mountain, nice fire roads,a stream crossing might be more just have not rode all the trails yet, there are trials that are for down hill racing and there is a video posted here a week or so ago of some free riding,also MT Penn is in between french creek and blue marsh.Others should be able to tell you more.

mtbr member
    Sounds like bankofdad and readingracing pretty much covered everything about good Berks County riding. I personally love Mt. Penn, it has a little bit of everything, I have been riding up there since the early to mid 90's and haven't found anything else that's more fun, I may be a biased opinion though beings I only live about 3 miles from it and can ride there from my house. The best way to find your way around Mt. Penn is to hook up with someone that rides up there and knows the trails but the most common starting points are Rotary Park and the Antietam Lake parking lot, which is really muddy and wet right now. Good Luck and have fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

I love french creek and downhilling up on Mt. Penn

Yep ,I am a beginner. I started riding my KONA in Feb. of 07. I bought a downhill bike at the end of Dec. (05 Giant Faith 2) I am just starting the downhill runs at Mt. Penn. French Creek is the best place to ride in Berks county. In my opinion only. I dont know all of the xc rides at Mt. Penn/Antietam. I would like to go with someone who does know . I live sooo close when I leave my house ,on my bike , I can be up at the tower in about 25 mins. I have ridden up there a little. I have been to blue Marsh alot this past year and I do like it there. If you go now have fun its really muddy. There is alot of climbing involved. I am not the best rider out there and havent rode the 24 mile loop yet but I will attempt it this spring. I am not ready for all 31 miles yet. French Creek is very fun technical riding and it has some really fun descents. It does drain well and is not as muddy as Blue Marsh. Go out 422 east ,turn right onto rt. 82, left on 724,right on rt. 345, go about 5 miles ,on your left at the intersection of 345 and shed rd. is a little parking area. Two trails lead from there across the street on both sides. You can download a map at the French Creek state park website. Have fun.