Thread: IMBA PA Epic?

mtbr member

IMBA PA Epic?

Is there a such a trail. Now that fall's here, I'm itching for a 5-6 hr epic XC singletrack trail. Someone have a top two ...Raystown & Rothrock,?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I guess Epic is a relative term...

There is a really nice 28 mile loop at Roaring Creek. A longer loop at Rattling creek can be put together. Raystown has a nice 40 mile loop and then there is a 30 mile loop at Blue Marsh.

Once a year I like to turn the Blue Marsh loop into what I consider an EPIC ride and ride the whole loop both ways, that's like 62 miles and 6hrs.

Miles of trails in Rothrock if you can find your way...

Enjoy
    Mike

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Back in April Chriffer and I set out to Ride the R3 Epic in Rothrock SF. It was a great adventure full of fun and pedalling and lots of rocks. We even managed to mostly follow the actual IMBA R3 route, which I think nothing short of amazing.

I would *not* advocate that route as a great ride in the area though. Too much jeep road/doubletrack, not enough maintenance of those specific singletrack pieces.

Instead, I go look up the Stoopid 50 route and ride that. It was run this year, the trails are regularly used, and it's more singletracky than the R3 by-percentage. I have *not* ridden that route yet but it's on my List. I'm pretty sure that when I go do that I'm taking my squishy bike though. Make sure to get the Purple Lizard map for Rothrock before you go though, lots of terrific trail info on that map!

You have have a great 4-6 hour ride at Rattling Creek, depending who you are. Very satisfying. Loads of great trail. Plenty of hills. More than plenty of rocks.

Bald Eagle SF is another great place to get big distance rides in. With a good map/pre-planning you could have way more than 50% singletrack than double/dirt-road. Either way it's a great venue.

Raystown, IMO, if you're a fit/advanced rider, is not a 6-hour epic ride. The trail is too smooth and too fast! It's unabashedly fun though. I'm hoping to make it down there this fall again. I think hitting it once a year is reasonable.

If you could get some pointers, there also great trail to ride and spend time out down at Roaring Creek. My advice is to park at either end of the service road that goes through Weiser SF off either Hwy 54 (west side, near Number 1 reservoir) or 42 (east side, by Brush Valley reservoir) and work your way up and down the ridgeline and between the sides. Leave yourself either a downhill or down the dirt road finish. Note that the rode is about 8 miles of average-downhill going from 42 to 54.

There's gotta be more good spots, I feel like I barely know the region.

Post up what you decide, you may get participants. :P

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    There is a loop in Rothrock designated as an epic IMBA ride. I would check in at the Bicycle Shop in State college if you head up there. They have the Purple Lizard Trail maps and can help mark up a really good 6 hour epic ride for you.