mtbr member

I hate people who vandalize trails and nearly kill me.

Up in Whites Woods, in Indiana PA I was out riding today and went to take a corner onto a section of trail and someone had piled a ton of logs and rocks for some reason that I can't begin to fathom. And then dragged some even bigger logs onto the middle of the trail a little bit down from it. Certainly not the first time, and I can imagine it won't be the last time.

Went OTB but got away with just some dirty hands and knees, which could have been way worse, and certainly wouldn't have helped some recently fractured ribs.

So be careful out there guys. I didn't get to check out the rest of the woods but I wouldn't go ripping down anything without giving it a go over.

Be safe!
    "Solution to two of the world's problems: Feed the homeless to the hungry."

mtbr member
    Maybe it was just someone who read your signature.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    New trail features?
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Sorry to hear of your bad luck...

...but I too have found Stonehenge like structures that have usually been built by kids with who only knows what they had in mind structure!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    Ouch. Agree, the signature is stupid but ouch.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldManBike View Post
    It's a joke I heard some comedian say when I was much younger that I found humorous. There's no reason to be an ass.

Quote Originally Posted by joshhan View Post
    New trail features?
    No, it certainly wasn't new trail features, it very much seems like it was put there purely to cause anyone riding harm (again, it's far from the first time someone has done this sadly). Though it appears someone has been adding small things up there. Some of it is really fun to ride.

Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA View Post
    Sorry to hear of your bad luck...

...but I too have found Stonehenge like structures that have usually been built by kids with who only knows what they had in mind structure!
    Yeah, I saw what looked like some landing after a natural take off someone was building off to the right of the first trail that leads away from the picnic table/water pump area. It looks like they cleared it away though. I was kinda wondering how it would have been finished. They must not have been too determined to build it, it just sat there for weeks.

I'm actually going out for a ride later and plan on checking more areas for anything else dangerous.
    Last edited by cyrix; 04-17-2013 at 04:41 PM.

mtbr member
    It's been a while but I wanted to give out some more info, especially after I had a nasty crash yesterday thanks to slamming into a rather massive log someone had situated so it was up in the air in the middle of the trail. Got a sprained wrist and a dislocated shoulder.

I've been finding all kinds of screwed up things happening up there lately. I've found broken glass bottles jammed into trails with dirt loosely packed around them. I found some orange plastic or nylon rope strung across the trail tied to two trees.

Found quite a few sticks with pointed ends wedged into the ground in corners pointing upwards. Not to mention a ton of logs the other day drug into the middle of the trails. That's not even counting the destruction of trail features.

Don't go trucking down a single trail up in Whites Woods without giving it a once over. There's more crap I've found but that was the worst of it. Someone really does not like people mountain biking up there and is certainly trying to show it. Be very careful guys, and gals.

I'm thinking at this point it's time to try to contact the police about this. I've had enough.

http://i.imgur.com/NwhB0gb.jpg
    This one I just missed during a run. I was inches from it.

http://i.imgur.com/NqaVn7t.jpg
    This was what I hit that caused my injuries yesterday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Umm, you ran into that? Must have been going pretty damned fast, line of sight on that trail line looks to be about 60 yards or more. Looks kinda like deadfall to me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by musikron View Post
    Umm, you ran into that? Must have been going pretty damned fast, line of sight on that trail line looks to be about 60 yards or more. Looks kinda like deadfall to me.
    If I were coming from the back of the photo I would have seen it since it's pretty much all uphill that way. But I was going pretty fast, and it's right after a sort of small uphill left hand corner. Plus the rain and conditions didn't help much. For clarity, I was coming at it from the same side the pic was taking on. And it wasn't deadfall, it was drug up from the left side of the trail. All the other logs on the trail were a pretty clear indication it wasn't deadfall. Those trails were clear two days before.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Got ya, just looked like it was pretty visible and out in the open. I pictured someone with a case of bad target fixation plowing right in to it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by musikron View Post
    Got ya, just looked like it was pretty visible and out in the open. I pictured someone with a case of bad target fixation plowing right in to it.
    Nah, most of the trail you can see clearly ahead for a long ways, just a few corners are "blind" I guess you'd call it. This one right before this is one of those.

Went out today for a very light (my shoulder can't handle any fast stuff) ride and everything was cleared off. So thanks to whomever did that. I pulled the smaller ones I could off after the wreck, but couldn't move the larger stuff.

mtbr member
    cyrix = mr. s. kudrick? o buddy tell me its actually you!

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    It's time to contact the popo and the local land manager before someone gets hurt.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram