mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Hunting Season and Raystown?

Okay I rearranged my work schedule, checked the weather, got permission from the wife and my riding partner is available to make a run out to Raystown on Monday and Tuesday of next week (10/19 & 10/20) only to panic over hunting season. I am from Jersey and hunting is not allowed in the majority of trails we ride on regularly. Is Raystown open to hunting? If so are there times of the day it will be safe to ride or am I just screwed?
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    After visiting their web page it looks like hunting is allowed around most of the lake but I don't know when the season starts. Try contacting them for more info. Found this email:

Raystown.Web@nab02.usace.army.mil

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    awesome thans for info I will post what I learn
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

PGC is where to check

Here's the link:
    http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...a=460&q=161003
    The game commission doesn't make it too easy to understand, but it looks like the only thing that is in worth worrying about is its the first week of muzzleloader and archery for Deer. I wouldn't recommend being out there early in the morning. The seasons to avoid are Turkey and modern rifle (which starts the monday after Thanksgiving and goes for two weeks).

guy in the woods

Helmet Hunters

Hunters beware there's helmets in there.

That said the trails are largely (aside from Stony Trail) on legal and easily accessible hunting ground, so if you choose to ride please where blaze orange and lots of it. Otherwise as our neighbor from State College said Sundays are always clear.

Respect among users is the key to our local success and ultimately the health of all trails.

There are many game seasons most open by October 31st and most are closed by Dec 21st. However, there are archery seasons and several styles of flintlock/ muzzleloader rifle seasons that start as early as Oct. 1st and run as late as Jan. 23rd. If you are in the woods between

November 30th- Decemeber 12th: Ride a road bike...stay out of the woods

October 31st and December 12th: Absolute necessity to have blaze orange

Oct. 1st- Jan 23rd.: Good Idea to have proper colors; not necessity. Wear bright clothes at the very least.

Jan 24th-Sept. 30th: Ride however you like be it in that deer costume or not.

mtbr member
    Was just there this past weekend. Definitely hunters out, but not so many. I wore bright colors and made a lot of noise (ringing my bell). I didn't come across any myself, but other riders out said they had.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by whysinglespeed
    If you are in the woods between

November 30th- Decemeber 12th: Ride a road bike...
    Good advice. At least we'll never make it to the hunting grounds.