Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: hunting season

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

hunting season

heads up all hunting season starts Saturday with archery and progresses from there, soon the woods will be filled with gun fire

mtbr member
    time to bust out the orange helmet
    Pugsley, Bullit

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I just went and made a calendar from the PA info so I could maybe remember to not schedule big/important bike rides on Saturdays until it's safe to do so. *eek*

Rolling on 650b
    Looks like night time is the right time to ride now. Yea lights!

mtbr member
    Yes, please remember to stay out of the game lands during hunting hours. Remember, us hunters (not to mention revenue from gas, timber and mineral extraction) make it possible for the land to be preserved.

Dinner for wolves
    Firearms and public recreation...as wholesome a combination as stool and sex acts. As a non-hunter, there is no greater buzzkill than hunting season. The possibility of being hit by a poorly aimed 30.06 round while riding my bicycle kills my ride before it begins. The thought of sharing the woods with shooters totally petrifies me. When will we come to our senses as a society and ban this kind of anti-social bull$#!+. Talk about an obsolete and self-indulgent activity that puts personal enjoyment above the safety and consideration of your neighbors...
    Last edited by buddhak; 09-30-2010 at 11:12 PM.
    Responds to gravity

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    buddhak, i feel your pain, and i'm NOT a hunter, but the should get their time in the woods too. It's not like we only get six months of the year to play or anything like that.

I'm sure a notable number of people hunt strictly for recreation - just like sport fishermen, but notable numbers eat what they kill and do it that way for good reasons.

FWIW, i've never gone on a hunt, but I figure my military rifle training would come in kind-of handy should I ever need it to find meat to put on the table!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by buddhak
    Firearms and public recreation...as wholesome a combination as stool and sex acts. As a non-hunter, there is no greater buzzkill than hunting season. The possibility of being hit by a poorly aimed 30.06 round while riding my bicycle kills my ride before it begins. The thought of sharing the woods with shooters totally petrifies me. When will we come to our senses as a society and ban this kind of anti-social bull$#!+. Talk about an obsolete and self-indulgent activity that puts personal enjoyment above the safety and consideration of your neighbors...
    pretty high level of paranoia. perhaps you ought to live and let live.

mtbr member
    Good points bear, you are a reasonable person.

Quote Originally Posted by buddhak

Whoa! Guns don't suck, ignorant people suck. The PGC is virtually self-funded through hunting license sales and revenue from resource extraction. Where do you think the source of funding comes from to preserve the game lands. Not the state general fund.

Anti social? some of my best memories growing up are of the cameraderie and friendships I have gained through the sport of hunting.

Obsolete? How else do you suggest we manage wildlife and forests? You should be thankful that you have hunters to help preserve the land for recreation. No group does more for conservation. we are about 800,000 strong in PA

I will spend most of Saturday in my tree stand, BOW and ARROW in hand. Hopefully I am lucky enough to take a deer which I will drag out of the woods and process in my backyard while cracking a beer and toasting to you.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by koval79
    Good points bear, you are a reasonable person.
    Now, don't be spreading things like THAT around. :^)

ride more
    Mar 2007
    I wear bright colors and I return fire.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    As bear said, hunters deserve their time in the woods and without them we would probably be hitting deer every hour out on the trails. i just ride on Sunday's in the game lands out at Bavington now. Everywhere else I ride, are county parks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Oh jesus chill with the anti-hunting BS. Ride on Sundays and ride other places during the week.

I also am pretty sure where I ride the land is called "state gamelands" not "state mountainbiking lands" so I am cool to abide by the rules.

mtbr member

Thanks for the heads up.....

Quote Originally Posted by slowdave
    heads up all hunting season starts Saturday with archery and progresses from there, soon the woods will be filled with gun fire
    I will be riding Moon Lake for awhile on Saturdays. BTW - Enjoying the SIerra Nevada Tumbler you gave me....mmmmmmm Autumn Brown Ale!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Dinner for wolves
    Quote Originally Posted by rallyrcr
    pretty high level of paranoia. perhaps you ought to live and let live.
    It's not paranoia. Just an honest expression of my frustration at having my peace of mind and sense of safety in the woods disturbed by gunfire. But you are right, live and let live...
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member

Columbus Day...

....is there hunting on Columbus Day? Also, lets share a few areas that are OK to ride on Saturdays during Hunting season.....so theres Moon Lake County Park in Luzerne County.

btw: we went kayaking early saturday morning on Nescopeck Creek....just after the old back entrance to Beech Mountain Lake bridge....just around the bend....we watched a decent size buck swim across the fast moving creek...and leep onto the bank.....really quite a site....
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffSkisMontana
    ....is there hunting on Columbus Day? Also, lets share a few areas that are OK to ride on Saturdays during Hunting season.....so theres Moon Lake County Park in Luzerne County.
    7 Tubs SHOULD be hunter-free as it's also a county park.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by krazcustoms
    7 Tubs SHOULD be hunter-free as it's also a county park.
    As long as you stay in the park boundaries, I would not go crossing the rr trax!

Is there hunting in the State Parks - I'm thinking of Francis Slocum?

What about Army Corp properties - thinking about a day-trip to Raystown Lake. :^)

Of course, all the lift-served DH biking is good. I do plan to enjoy that through October!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffSkisMontana
    Also, lets share a few areas that are OK to ride on Saturdays during Hunting season
    Merli

Quote Originally Posted by bear
    Is there hunting in the State Parks - I'm thinking of Francis Slocum?
    Parts of Slocum are open to hunting. The same is true of LSP, French Creek, and other State Parks.

My 2cents, FWIW: I'll continue to ride everything except Gamelands (which are explicitly off limits during hunting season) right up until the start of rifle season.

Related to safety: as someone who grew up archery hunting, it's highly unlikely that one has a reasonable shot at a anything but a clearly identified target, and no more than about 60 yards away, standing still, and with a clean open shot. It's just not possible to fire off a bunch of shots at a unknown moving target with a compound bow. Hunting accidents with guns are rare, hunting accidents with bows (involving anyone but the archer) are pretty much negligible. Wear bright colors and ride on.

Related to respect for hunters: there are over 1.4 million acres of State Game Lands scattered across PA that are completely off limits to mountain bikers during hunting season. Personally I'm fine with that - hunters pay for for the right to hunt there, whereas we're freeloaders. However, State Parks and State Forests are year round multi-use public lands; there is no state regulation closing these lands to non-hunters user groups during hunting season.

Did you ever have ham?
    I just take comfort in knowing that if any hunter bags me, I will surely be a state record...LOL!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Also, lets share a few areas that are OK to ride on Saturdays during Hunting season.....so theres Moon Lake County Park in Luzerne County.

Mt. Gretna/Governor Dick and Mt. Penn/Antietam are both supposed to be hunter free.

Gives me PEACE of mine
    Amen brother well put. Being a hunter and a biker I see both sides. where orange and ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by jonz
    Parts of Slocum are open to hunting. The same is true of LSP, French Creek, and other State Parks.

My 2cents, FWIW: I'll continue to ride everything except Gamelands (which are explicitly off limits during hunting season) right up until the start of rifle season.

Related to safety: as someone who grew up archery hunting, it's highly unlikely that one has a reasonable shot at a anything but a clearly identified target, and no more than about 60 yards away, standing still, and with a clean open shot. It's just not possible to fire off a bunch of shots at a unknown moving target with a compound bow. Hunting accidents with guns are rare, hunting accidents with bows (involving anyone but the archer) are pretty much negligible. Wear bright colors and ride on.

Related to respect for hunters: there are over 1.4 million acres of State Game Lands scattered across PA that are completely off limits to mountain bikers during hunting season. Personally I'm fine with that - hunters pay for for the right to hunt there, whereas we're freeloaders. However, State Parks and State Forests are year round multi-use public lands; there is no state regulation closing these lands to non-hunters user groups during hunting season.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    jonz: we need a web page or sticky for this "safe to ride during hunting season info" - this same deal happened last year, and I'm betting every year. Maybe I'll troll a bit to see if I can't build up some info and maybe we can start a clean thread and get it sticked. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Mt. Penn doesn't allow hunting, and has some of the best technical single-track, obstacle courses, downhill, jump lines, crazy log rides, and most awesome XC, AM, FR, DH, and whatever other 2 letter acronyms you can think of - probably over 40 miles worth!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast