Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: hunting season

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

hunting season

we all know that hunting season is now here, how about we start a list of places you can ride during the day during hunting season with out getting shot.

I'll start:
    Moon lake

anyone know of other places? is hunting allowed at MMC or Roaring Creek?

the reason i ask is because i have days off during the week and both kids are in school now so i can ride!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Seven Tubs

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Mt. Penn, Reading PA

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Dave:

Moon Lake... yee haa if it doesn't close again...LOL
    any RailTrail...LOL
    the Dike in Wyoming Valley( but don't rule out getting shot)...LOL
    Blue Marsh?
    MMC limited hunting?
    Merli Sarnoski Park?

Correct me if I'm wrong on some of these...

NEPMTBA
    RID'IN BY OSMOSIS

mtbr member

blue marsh????

Dave:

Moon Lake... yee haa if it doesn't close again...LOL
    any RailTrail...LOL
    the Dike in Wyoming Valley( but don't rule out getting shot)...LOL
    Blue Marsh?
    MMC limited hunting?
    Merli Sarnoski Park?

Correct me if I'm wrong on some of these...

NEPMTBA
    RID'IN BY OSMOSIS
    i'm thinking about heading to pennsy around the christmas holiday break. will there be hunting in blue marsh at that time? i'm coming from jersey, i think blue marsh is about two hours, is there any other place i should consider w/o getting shot during the holidays.

ps: my only experiece with pensy mtb trails is at wissahickon and i actually was trail running that day
    wissahickon pix last winter

mtbr member
    Merli Sarnoski - no hunting
    Moosic Mtn (MMC) - hunting, I believe, is with permission only, however it borders State Game Lands

mtbr member
    in the valley there's
    jordan park
    bear creek
    south mountain bethlehem
    just a head's up - wear bright colors anyway - i've seen people hunting at every one of these "safe" spots and i'm sure all your other local spots see elmer fuds poaching as well
    without hops the world stops

mtbr member
    Francis Slocum is rideable, although during Bow season the hunters will be in the woods early in the morning for a few hours, probably 'till around 10ish and may return later before dusk, so riding there during the day is fine. According to the ranger we talked to last night, hunting up there has been light, so you should be fine, but respect their time, just ride a bit later!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Dave:

I already got the email from Jeff on the Mt Top guys coming to the mOOn, will you be joining them?

NEPMTBA
    EPIC RIDE LEADERS

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I was ther tuesday and will probably be there friday, thanks for all the info i sure hope they don't close the moon again

mtbr member

hunting

not sure if it is legal hunting...but i have seen many....hunters on many occaisons at Blue Marsh....especially on the south side of the lake....those woods are full of game and hunters.....careful..
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by slowdave
    I was ther tuesday and will probably be there friday, thanks for all the info i sure hope they don't close the moon again
    Dave:

You know we have a large hat full of rabbits at the mOOn. We'll just pull another one out...LOL Or at least we will have a secret handshake...LOL

We're not like other groups who stop rid'ing, we're just getting started in this fall season at the mOOn and it's epic as we have more trails this year than last. XC skiing is coming also. Bring on the white stuff... burrrrrrrr

Prolly see ya Thursday at Jeffs if your there. I'll prolly join Ted and head up to the Mt Top tomorrow. .. Ride Ride Ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    lee working until; 7 pm so i can't join tonight

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

quote=slowdave]lee working until; 7 pm so i can't join tonight[/quote]

OK Dave:

We'll catch up soon, maybe we can include the Burma in our mOOn Epic fall ride series.

NEPMTBA
    CHEESESTEAK BUFFET is NFS

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Bavington (aka Hillman State Park, aka State Game land #117) is closed to hunting on Sundays. Think that goes for any state park or game lands.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member

no hunting jersey on sunday (for now)

from what i understand there's no hungtiung in new jersey on sundays, at least for now anyways

what about lake ralston, hunting there? that seems to be the best trails in pennsy from what i hear

mtbr member
    everywhere is closed to hunting on sundays, except for crow hunting, but i dont think many people hunt crows.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffSkisMontana
    not sure if it is legal hunting...but i have seen many....hunters on many occaisons at Blue Marsh....especially on the south side of the lake....those woods are full of game and hunters.....careful..
    The Blue Marsh area is full of hunters. Most of the trail system is open to hunting. I think they stock pheasants there, too. Certain times of year it's teaming with pheasants that seem out of place. They'll run down the trail in front of you for quite a ways before they figure out how to get out of the way. It's pretty comical actually.

The hunting community has organized 3D archery events. They hollow out areas in the woods on either side of the trail to enable 3D archery shoots where they shoot ACROSS heavily traveled trails. I stumbled upon one of those one day and felt lucky to get through it alive. Wear lots of orange during hunting season! And keep your eyes open for hunting activity!

mtbr member

end of hunting season

when does the hunting season end?

not to get off topic, but here in jersey we have too many canadian geese. they used to migrate now there here year round, and they're a problem for air traffic (caused a plane to crash in hudson earlier this year), and they're a general nuissance. I run in the county park, and it's there stopping ground, I don't mess with them, as they're big and powerful especially when there in flight

btw: i think there still is no hunting season in jersey on sundays

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    tduro, maybe i'm slow but how can hunting/archery NOT be a "3D" thing?

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

3D -- that's funny!!!!!!!... LOL

Practice hunting with foam replicas with replaceable midsections of wildlife...

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    tduro, maybe i'm slow but how can hunting/archery NOT be a "3D" thing?
    Yeah, I know. I didn't name the event. I just read it on a sign and figured I was the only one that didn't know what it meant. I'm guessing it's because they use 3-dimensional targets (i.e., life-like deer statues in different positions), rather than 2-dimensional round targets facing the archer directly. I could be wrong.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by tduro
    Yeah, I know. I didn't name the event. I just read it on a sign and figured I was the only one that didn't know what it meant. I'm guessing it's because they use 3-dimensional targets (i.e., life-like deer statues in different positions), rather than 2-dimensional round targets facing the archer directly. I could be wrong.
    Those arrows are 3D for sure.........

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Rocky Ridge and Lake Redman in York both allow archery only...if you see a guy in a tree on trail 6 at Redman, give a wave, it's probably me (and no, I won't shoot you unless you spook away a deer!)

mtbr member
    Anyone know if there is any hunting going on up at Lackawanna State Park.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast