mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Hunting question

Might be riding at Nox or White Clay on Black Friday. Does anyone know if either of these areas allow hunting that day?

mtbr member
    Nox allows hunting, though I don't think rifle season opens until the following Monday so you'll probably be OK if you wear orange. There is a notice on Lake Nockamixon Mountain Bike Trails - Home asking us to stay off the trails on that Monday.

White Clay I'm not sure about - I remember seeing signs during hunting season that say trails are closed during hunting season (except on Sunday) but I think that is *only* during shotgun season (details on seasons here Deer Hunting | Delaware Hunting & Trapping Guide | eRegulations.com). I think this only applies at the possum hill section (bryan's field, david english, whitely farms, cart road, etc...). The wildlife sanctuary (middle run) and judge morris sections are always open except for special hunts.

Long story short, both should be rideable - but wear orange to be safe.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    I think the only thing in season right now is small games. Of course that all changes after thanksgiving.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    bear(notBear) season is bow today and rifle tomorrow in PA, not sure after that

VMB
    I'm pretty sure Nox is shotgun only, at least it used to be... Be safe out there regardless!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Nox's website (posted above) will typically specify the days that bikers are not allowed. Other days, during this time, wear orange. As far as I understand, just because you are allowed to ride doesn't mean hunting isn't going on, but they've set aside certain days for hunting only.

mtbr member
    What you are allowed to hunt and when you are allowed to hunt varies from county to county.
    Ask me about Evansburg State Park
    Trail days. 3rd Sunday
    of the month.

mtbr member
    regulations are relatively uniform across the state, but there are minor differences between Wildlife Management Units (WMUs), Not counties. WMUs are based on geographic units.

WMU map:
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=619923&mode=2
    Click on each WMU for a more detailed description. Nox is 5C.

Seasons:
    http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...bag_limits_pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2010
    To add to the aggravation of determining PA hunting seasons, you -also- have to consult a separate table for waterfowl (e.g., ducks):

Waterfowl

Annoying as hell that while today's technology would support it trivially, there is no simple: "I want to bike, hike, hunt, xyx HERE --> what is in season". Of course, the real holdup is organizational/political/financial, not technological.

Best,
    Mark

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by slowdave View Post
    bear(notBear) season is bow today and rifle tomorrow in PA, not sure after that
    The differentiator is that the hunting season is for "black" bear and not "grey" bear.