mtbr member

Hubbard Polar Plunge!

Thanks to all who came out and took a jump in for a great cause. Also thanks to the spectators who watched and helped with this event again.

This is the third year for the plunge. The last two have been a way to raise money for the ARC of Lackawanna County. Josh Grabowski decided to make this part of his senior project last year and the Grabowski's wanted to keep it going this year too. Last year $1,600 was raised for the ARC. www.thearc.org/

This year John figured a price of $5 per spectator and $10 per plunger (Those crazy enough to do it!). This year Hubbard Bike Club and the Grabowski's organized an event beyond expectation. Two well known local bands were there to keep the spirit alive. Jack Bordo and Friends were there as was Earthen. There were hot dogs and fries along with coffee, hot chocolate and all sorts of appetizers and desserts. A big thanks to all who brought food, helping hands and fun to the event. Thanks to the Grabowski's for hosting this event again.

A special thanks to some of Hubbards finest who went up on Saturday and cut through 8" of ice and made an area of 20'x30' for everyone to jump into be safe. FWIW, within 22hrs of the ice being cut, the surface refroze 1.5" thick. Rule of thumb- at 0* water should freeze 1"per 24hrs.

The morning started off at 2* at 7am. The temperature went up to 13* by 11:30 as I needed to jump in and leave. The water temperature was 38* (If you think pool water is "cold" in the summer it's usually 80*+). John wanted to get his jump in also so he could get everything else set up. Though before John and I jumped in, Karen (Johns wife) had done it first! Well channel 16 and 28 were there to get John and me on camera. Afterward they interviewed me and several others about WHY we do it. I had to go up to Elk mtn. to ski for the rest of the day (patrol).

The ARC was there and even had some participants involved. As always, a good and safe time had by all.

This years total was $2,600!

Here's a vid http://pahomepage.com/content/video/?cid=123141

Ttyl, Fahn
    Last edited by LarryFahn; 02-01-2010 at 02:52 PM.

Did you ever have ham?

Hubbard Polar Plunge!

Great to see lunatics helping out a worthy cause! Seriously, great job folks!!! Two big thumbs up!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    Hard corps folks, lovin the photo's of the event. Who was the brave gal who took the plunge more than once !! Kudo's to her , brave soul !
    2010 Surly, Curry "Pugs"
    Surly, Gray "Pugs" R.I.P.
    2010 HARO, Mary SS
    Kona "Deluxe" roadbike

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Some pictures from the plunge.

Here are some pictures from the day. Enjoy.

Chris
    WVMTBA
    Wyoming Valley Mountain Bike Association
    www.wvmtba.com

mtbr member

Nice Going!

Looks like a huge success and a fun! Really cool to see so many familiar faces in the pics and on TV.....morning news...evening news....bravo! Thx for the great post and pics. Dive On!
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........