Suburban Redneck

How's Thorpe these days?

Just like the title asks....................How is the riding up there? I'd been hearing about trail closings, shootings, mountain lion attacks...................ok, trail closings. Looks like we're getting a cabin up in Blakeslee, so I thought I'd finally get a chance to check it out. Any particular trails a first-timer should check out?

Thanks.
    I'm not big-boned, I'm a Clyde.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

What do you ride?

There are rail trails, doubt you want that. Deer Path, American Standard, Broad Mt Loop are all great!

Stop in Blue Mountain sports bike shop in downtown and ask.

Enjoy

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Pick up your Mach issue of "bike magazine"They have listed "50 great trails", one for each state.Jim Thorpe-twin peaks got the nod for Pa.Short description of the trail system follows the headings.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Jim Thorpe

Deer Path and American Standard are closed. Not sure if they are being watched. Just another case of bikers being on the short end of the stick. Twin Peaks is nice. There is also a lot of trails above the switchback but you have to watch for atv's, dirt bikes, etc. Funny how horses never do any trail damage.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I was chased out of AS this past August by some inbred-looking trapper with a gun who was driving a mid-90's red Jeep cherokee on the access roads. Watch out for that guy, he looked like he was on the edge. Personally, I like the ridge better anyway so its all good.

Grand Poobah
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dankilling
    I was chased out of AS this past August by some inbred-looking trapper with a gun who was driving a mid-90's red Jeep cherokee on the access roads. Watch out for that guy, he looked like he was on the edge. Personally, I like the ridge better anyway so its all good.
    That was Cletus.

He thought you were pretty.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 64mtnbiker
    Deer Path and American Standard are closed. Not sure if they are being watched. Just another case of bikers being on the short end of the stick. Twin Peaks is nice. There is also a lot of trails above the switchback but you have to watch for atv's, dirt bikes, etc. Funny how horses never do any trail damage.
    Are they closed because they are in State Game Lands? If so they are not actually closed, you just need a valid hunting license - to the best of my knowledge.

my church is the woods
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant
    Are they closed because they are in State Game Lands? If so they are not actually closed, you just need a valid hunting license - to the best of my knowledge.
    Yes, they are on SGL's. No offense, but the topic usually stirs up a shitstorm when it's brought up here. use the search feature if you want to read it all. For the sake of everyone concerned, and due to the behind-the-scenes progress being made with regards to re-opening access, I'd rather this topic die-off.

Suburban Redneck
    Thanks for the input. I ride a KHS full-susp with 4" travel f+r and discs. Keep in mind, I'm just getting back on it, so I want to work my way up to the harder stuff.
    I'm not big-boned, I'm a Clyde.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    American Standard is on private property. I think Kovatch is the owner. Blue Mountain Sports is very informative on most trails. We were up and rode the Broad Mountain Loop last weekend and it was alot of fun but since then they have got a lot of ice and was told it is all iced over. Do check before you go.