poormtnbkr
    Sep 2007

How swank is Swain?

I am just wondering if anyone has been to Swain mountain bike park. I have seen some reviews mentioning alot of mud but they were all refering to the same weekend. They are in their first year and seem to have quite a few black diamond trails and some nice features. It would be great if anyone who has been there could give me some feedback. It looks to be about three hours from Erie and hopefully worth a trip.

Its located North of Olean, NY and South of Rochester, NY.
    Keep Your Scene Tight!
    Grow your trails long not wide.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    just got into bradford / olean area and was wondering the same thing. might be willing to go and check it out sometime tho.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

swain

Swain is pretty fun. Good mix of trails, flows well, some steep, some not so steep. The wood built stunts are kinda sketchy, you might want to check it before you blast it. Some looked to be in dis-repair. Only negative thing right now is its rained just about every othere day here in CNY. The 2 times I've been to Swain have mostly been mud fests.

poormtnbkr
    Sep 2007
    Well, I would love to help out a place in their first year but its starting to sound like I should go with 7springs all things considered. Next year I am really going to try and support all the closest resorts with at least one visit. Thanks for the replies guys. Keep updating this thread though if things dry up or improve in any way. It should be good for the resort or anybody who is interested in Swain.
    Keep Your Scene Tight!
    Grow your trails long not wide.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Swain is a very small area. I use to ski there as a kid because my grand parents live on the main road about 4 miles up from swain. They live by dalton and are half way between letchworth st. park and swain.

The mountain bike trail is ok, but nothing spectacular. You are probably better off riding in letchworth.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

swain

We're talking lift service downhill freeriding. Not xc. Maybe you wanna go to Letchworth for xc, but you probably don't wanna ride there on a 40+ lb freeride rig. Two totally different animals.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    We're talking lift service downhill freeriding. Not xc. Maybe you wanna go to Letchworth for xc, but you probably don't wanna ride there on a 40+ lb freeride rig. Two totally different animals.
    Sorry my bad. Misread your post. The downhill park is pretty fun. I've been there a couple of times. Hopefully they have improved some of the structures. They looked a bit rocky the last time I was there.

Overall though it's a nice little downhill ride. I think Seven Springs in PA is the best I've seen close to NY area though.

Have fun. That section of NY state is gorgeous!