mtbr member

How much snow in Philly?

Looking to ride Sunday or Monday. Possible?

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by onegeargood
    Looking to ride Sunday or Monday. Possible?
    Sure it's possible but, based on what I've seen so far, you might want to throw on some studded tires. The snow isn't deep, but what is there is kind of sitting on top of an icy crust. You can ride 'on' it, rather than 'through' it at this point. But, depending on how many times the temp cycles above & below freezing between now & your ride, it could get a bit too slick for comfort.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

Freshly Fujified

Stick's right

Temps have been very low, and won't he heading north of freezing before Tuesday. Whatever is left of the precipitation will basically be ice on the trails.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    yeah but the type of ice that grips... not the slidey stuff.

i think you'll have a blast and there is no need for studs. you might not have full on traction but i bet there is enough to be out enjoying yourself!

last night it went from being kind of fluffy to just king of having the consistency of concrete.

i am planning to ride thats for shizzle... and there are no such thing as decent 29er studs so i'll be out puttin my normal tires to whatevers out there.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    yeah but the type of ice that grips... not the slidey stuff.
    Totally agree that it's the grippy, crunchy kind right now... I only meant that by monday, all bets are off.

Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    and there are no such thing as decent 29er studs so i'll be out puttin my normal tires to whatevers out there.
    DIY, man! Not only are they great fun on icy trails, but you can use 'em to ride on frozen creeks, streams, etc. Opens up a whole new world of possibilities *if* it stays cold long enough.

Coulda used 'em here last saturday!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    yeah it would be nice to have a set but they have to suck for the 99% of riding you do thats NOT on pure slick ice...

i got a set for my commuter and break them out for a week or two a year. they pretty much work as well as other tires in 99% of conditions but RULE on hard slick ice. you hardly ever need them but when you do, it is almost impossible to ride without them....

Inbred Homebrewer
    [QUOTE=max-a-mill]yeah it would be nice to have a set but they have to suck for the 99% of riding you do thats NOT on pure slick ice...
    QUOTE]

Not really... if the trail is reasonably snow-covered between the icy spots, you'd never know they were there, and even on dirt, mud, rocks etc. they aren't horrible - just noisy and a little slow.

The one commercially made MTB tire that I have (IRC Blizzard) has tiny little studs that are virtually unnoticeable except when you need them. My homemade set uses much more aggressive screws that can be a minor drag in the wrong circumstances. But, like you said, when the conditions are right: it's the only way to roll!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    Coulda used 'em here last saturday!
    Who is that handsome brute down by the lakeside??

Trail eater
    Quote Originally Posted by stymie
    Who is that handsome brute down by the lakeside??

I will have to own up, that handsome brute is me

Im telling ya, we should have tried to smash the ice by throwing one of those boulders off of the bridge. Thats would have been awsome
    Climb like a goat, descend like a banshee

crouching tiger

For the love of God!

STYMIE! why'd you have to go post the brutes ugly mug for?

It's not enough I have to see it every day, now it's in my face here...

Stick, when are you getting Mr EM out of my hair again?
    "Medicine used to be simple, ineffective, and relatively safe. Now it's complex, effective, and potentially dangerous". Sir Cyril Chantler

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ms Mustard
    STYMIE! why'd you have to go post the brutes ugly mug for?

It's not enough I have to see it every day, now it's in my face here...

Stick, when are you getting Mr EM out of my hair again?
    Well, I figured it was better than my ugly mug

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Who's ready for spring? Me!!

mtbr member
    So do you think it's worth driving 1 1/2 hours to ride? If there is traction I'm willing to make the trip.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    There was definitely traction to be had today in most sections I rode. In my opinion, the best was on the Henry Ave side between the golf course and the new trail. On the other side of the creek, it was a mixed bag. The biggest problem for me was breaking through the top layer of crust and sinking into snow with an almost sandy consistency.

The heaviest traveled trails with a compacted path were the best for traction, though in many spots the upper layer was frozen enough that you wouldn't break through.

Here's a post I made today about the trail conditions over at phillymtb.com including pics and a more in-depth writeup.

If the conditions tomorrow are like today, I'd say it's worth it if you're looking for a snow ride and don't mind pushing the bike at times. If I had to guess, I'd say I was on the bike 90% of the time. I did not ride the section from the monster at Bells Mill to Wises Mill. I rode up Wises Mill and hooked left to the new section and rode out to the golf course, then cut to Kitchen's Lane and finished at the trail that goes up to Springside School where I parked, so there's quite a bit of trail I can't speak for.

Hope this helps anyway.

mtbr member
    Great post. Thanks for your help. I usually park on Kelly Drive and ride in from there. I'm really itching to get on the bike.
    Thanks again.

mtbr member

Good job! Top notch Community Service!

Nice post and pics Repo! Thanks

Inbred Homebrewer
    Nice post and pics Repo! Thanks
    So...uh... does that mean you wanna ride tomorrow morning?? Shoot me an e-mail if you're up for it.

wot no bike?
    You must have gotten out earlier than I was able to on Saturday, because by the time I could get out of the hosue (mid-afternoon), the temps were 35-39F and I was sloshing all over the place on the trails, no good. This was on the very south end of the west wide (near the bowl). I wound-up just doing a pedal to the Inn via Forbidden Drive and back while I was out. Then again I was running Exiwolfs...

-pete

mtbr member
    So...uh... does that mean you wanna ride tomorrow morning?? Shoot me an e-mail if you're up for it.
    I would have liked to ride Sundee, but after seeing Repoman's pics, I thought better of it. If this week's warmer weather doesn't turn everything to slush, I'm up for a ride this weekend. I believe Mr Mustard has some new bits and pieces I'm sure he wants to put through their paces also.

Inbred Homebrewer
    I would have liked to ride Sundee, but after seeing Repoman's pics, I thought better of it. If this week's warmer weather doesn't turn everything to slush, I'm up for a ride this weekend. I believe Mr Mustard has some new bits and pieces I'm sure he wants to put through their paces also.

I went to High Rocks on Sunday. Beee-oo-ti-ful day for a ride. I started later than I'd have liked, but still managed to stay on the bike and ride 90% of the trail, up & down hills w/o much difficulty. Conditions were great. Only a few spots where the snow was too deep or soft to climb through.

mtbr member
    I went to High Rocks on Sunday. Beee-oo-ti-ful day for a ride. I started later than I'd have liked, but still managed to stay on the bike and ride 90% of the trail, up & down hills w/o much difficulty. Conditions were great. Only a few spots where the snow was too deep or soft to climb through.
    Oooh, nice! Care to predict trail conditions for Saturday?

Inbred Homebrewer
    Oooh, nice! Care to predict trail conditions for Saturday?

Heh, I'm a fool to try. Haven't seen the forecast for the rest of the week, but I'd say if we want to try a ride - our best bet is going to be EARLY saturday morning. Even then, it's a crapshoot. If my back yard is an indicator, it'll be very slick in spots - unless it stays well above freezing all week long. Then? A mix of mud, slush and ice.

I'm going to get a night ride in at some point later in the week. I'll keep you posted.

If you & the mustard man want to crash at our place friday night in preparation for a pre-dawn ride, we could do a little tire-studding over a pint or six and get you two set up right.

Take it to e-mail, eh?