mtbr member

How Much FS Travel for Michaux?

I've been racing Michauex on hardtails for the last few years but am getting a FS to make the rocks enjoyable (rather than wear me out!). For those that ride & race FS there, what amount of travel have you found to be a good balance between climbing & descending efficiency? And as I also asked in another thread, would the jump from 100 to 130mm of travel make a noticeable difference in stretches of long & level rock gardens?
    2014 Yeti Arc XO1
    2012 Seven ti 29er SS
    2012 Seven steel 29er SS rigid

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I don't think you're going to notice much difference between 100 & 130 mm. If you get into the 150/160 range then you're probably getting into different geometry, which in my opinion is much better than an xc type of geometry in Michaux. Once you learn to make full suspension work to your advantage you'll find riding the rocks & technical climbing much more enjoyable. I ride a 160mm daily in Michaux

psycho cyclo addict
    4" travel/120 mm FS (Turner Sultan DW-link) was great riding up there. I like XC geometry myself.

I have a an 80mm travel (more like 90 now since I replaced a defective seal) hard tail that I'd take up there except my 4+ decade old back would definitely be sore for a couple of days (even running 2.4F/2.25R tubeless tires near 20 psi).

Dinner for wolves
    Depends, in some degree, on the chosen wheel size.

I have only ridden Michaux once, so I will STFU now.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Thanks all! After much soul-searching & research I'm going with a 100mm since racing is still a priority for me.
    2014 Yeti Arc XO1
    2012 Seven ti 29er SS
    2012 Seven steel 29er SS rigid

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm going there for this on March 29th, and I can't decide if I should take my Bandit 29 or my fatbike. I guess it will depend on how conditions are.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Necro Pugs w/ Lefty PBR
    Surly Big Dummy

Spring! Spring! Spring!

How Much FS Travel for Michaux?

I think I should try to find 250$ ... that looks cool ...

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'll second your decision for 100mm, so long as you're still xc-oriented. I say this because, for me, there has been a huge temptation (and resulting failure) to take on bigger hits, drops, jumps; though, really, that 100mm is really there to help you keep your wheels in positive traction and motion.

Here's to you digging the 100mm!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    I think I should try to find 250$ ... that looks cool ...
    Do it! I figure at best I learn some new tricks from Harlan and the others, at worst I get a guided and catered tour of Michaux, which I've never been to.
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy

sr1
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Michaux @ its best is not really xc style riding , it is very technical with lots of drops . If you plan on riding the A lines you will want a all mountain long travel style bike. It is so much more fun ripping the good downhills and they climb really good to.

The White Jeff W

Re: How Much FS Travel for Michaux?

When I first started riding Michaux I had a 100mm xc bike and found it to be a little overmatched for some of the rougher stuff there, especially the atv trails. My bike was using all of its travel and bottoming out pretty regularly. It was just a matter of time before something broke. I was much happier on a slacker 140mm bike. (I ended up with a Yeti 575)

Not to say a 100mm bike or a rigid SS hardtail wont work there, but for my 200 lb self 140mm seemed to be the sweet spot.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by XJaredX View Post
    I'm going there for this on March 29th, and I can't decide if I should take my Bandit 29 or my fatbike. I guess it will depend on how conditions are.
    How often do they do this? The timing this month doesn't work for me, but sounds like something I'd love to do.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'm not sure, I only heard about it this year and its my first time
    Transition Bandit 29
    Surly Ogre
    Surly Big Dummy