mtbr member
    Nov 2010

How to connect the trails at the Wiss???

Ok, so I'm able to connect the trails going behind the Valley Green Inn starting from the daisy field bowl, all the way to summit(the road after the trail that crosses Wises). I know that if I bike up the street I can go into a park entrance and connect to another trail, but that just feeds down to forbidden drive. Are there any trails that keep you high up the slope?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    oh, and I've looked at the trail maps and it is not help to me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Ride up Summit, enter the trail as it seems like you've done, but do not bear right when the trail turns right. That dumps you on Forbidden. Look to your left and you'll see a trailhead. Keep left when you have options and enjoy. You will eventually wind up at Bell's Mill Rd. Then if you want to continue, make a right onto Bell's Mill, make your first right, and you're back on the trails.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by cicatrix
    oh, and I've looked at the trail maps and it is not help to me.

Maybe this will help?

http://connect.garmin.com/player/30332435
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by RepoMan2112
    Ride up Summit, enter the trail as it seems like you've done, but do not bear right when the trail turns right. That dumps you on Forbidden. Look to your left and you'll see a trailhead. Keep left when you have options and enjoy. You will eventually wind up at Bell's Mill Rd. Then if you want to continue, make a right onto Bell's Mill, make your first right, and you're back on the trails.
    Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    Woah, that is awesome, thanks a lot!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Sounds like you're good to go, but I forgot I actually have video of this trailhead coming from Summit.

http://vimeo.com/4280324 Go to 8:09 to see Summit. 8:58 shows where to turn left (and also what trails are in store for you over there).

Cheers!

mtbr member

question!!!!

I normally ride in the other direction, when coming up the hill after the golf course there is the rock ledge at the top hill. How the hell do you guys get up the section? You can see it in the video at 5:18 when you guys ride down it.

mtbr member
    I have yet to conquer that rock section. I can never get enough steam to power my way up.
    Pugsley, Bullit

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Ah yes, the "nemesis rock."

Here's what I do:

Pick a big enough gear so you can get speed. My preference is middle ring, 2nd largest cog in the back. This allows me to get momentum in the run up to the rock, and for me that's the first key. The second key is where to hit it, and I have a video showing the exact line I like.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/repoman...7604485039632/ (1:14 mark)

The 1:07 mark shows it even better. It's the middle spine, for lack of a better description. I find that it helps get up and over the worst of it and puts you in a good line to clear the rest. I aim for the spine itself, not the crevices on either side of it.

I'm not saying this is the best way to do it, but I did show it to a riding buddy who was never able to clear it, now he clears it regularly on that line.

Hope it helps!

mtbr member
    I'll have to try that method out Repoman, thanks for the tips. Gives me a good excuse to hit up the wiss!
    Pugsley, Bullit

mtbr member
    I hope to hit the Wiss again this Sunday. RepoMan2112 you make it look so easy in the video.

mtbr member
    I tried out the RepoMan method and cleaned that rock first time. Then I let out a loud roar, confusing my riding partner, who walked it.
    Pugsley, Bullit

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Glad it worked for you! Were you out last Sunday? I saw someone riding a Pugsley that day and wondered.

mtbr member
    Nice Map! When we used to ride there in the late 80/s/early90's.. we used to ride the other side of Bell Mills Rd (both sides of Forbidden Dr) and used to link up Ft Washington State Park thereafter... nice way to add some mileage..

mtbr member
    Nice, I was out Sunday as well I did not make it to the nemesis rock. My buddy fell near bellsmill climb and Complained about his thumb the for a little while, then fell again and then tells me he was done for the day. WTF I think we got about 8 miles in that day.

mtbr member
    I will be back this weekend.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you're good to go, but I forgot I actually have video of this trailhead coming from Summit.

http://vimeo.com/4280324 Go to 8:09 to see Summit. 8:58 shows where to turn left (and also what trails are in store for you over there).

Cheers!
    It is funny that the PMC ride went on the coil...

Don't get me wrong, I loved the coil and miss it but I still think it is funny.

mtbr member
    Glad it worked for you! Were you out last Sunday? I saw someone riding a Pugsley that day and wondered.
    Yeah that was probably me. Somehow I managed to go there a couple days in a row.
    Pugsley, Bullit