mtbr member
    Jan 2008

How is Bear Creek?

Me and a couple of riders were talking about riding up at Bear Creek on Sat. April 11th. We have heard there is alot of fun technical riding there and want to try some new places to ride. We like AM, aggressive XC riding. My friend told me today, someone told him there is still snow up on that mountain and its unridable. Does anyone know if this is true and if there are requirements to ride here and what type of riding is here. Some info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Bear Creek is extremely technical. I think AM is the best way to describe it, really. The rocks there are punishing. Makes French Creek look like a bowling alley. I went there in February to just check out the lodge (I'm getting married there) and there were still guys mountain biking (and the hill was in full out ski mode, thousands of people there skiing/snowboarding). I'm not sure if they were supposed to be there, but the managment is very MTB friendly, so it doesn't surprise me. I would at least call ahead and see if they're open for MTB... and if they are, make sure you stop in at the lodge and sign the waiver at the front desk.

Enjoy the Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyDean
    Bear Creek is extremely technical. I think AM is the best way to describe it, really. The rocks there are punishing. Makes French Creek look like a bowling alley. I went there in February to just check out the lodge (I'm getting married there) and there were still guys mountain biking (and the hill was in full out ski mode, thousands of people there skiing/snowboarding). I'm not sure if they were supposed to be there, but the managment is very MTB friendly, so it doesn't surprise me. I would at least call ahead and see if they're open for MTB... and if they are, make sure you stop in at the lodge and sign the waiver at the front desk.
    Punishing says it all. We rode it last year, and I was on my rigid 29er and got pretty beat up. Endo'd 2x on the rocks. The numerous rock gardens on the Red trail are tough, but if you're into AM you'll enjoy it. I recommend wearing pads.
    08 Redline D440 29er

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Its good technical riding, but you need to be prepared for it. Choose good lines and its not as punishing, but it will test your rock-garden skills, thats for sure. They ask all riders to pick up a trail pass and sign a waiver at the front desk, so please be sure to do that to make sure the management stays friendly to MTB. Thanks!

mtbr member
    If there is snow, it shouldn't effect much of the trails. They go around the mountain and only really touch the slope part at the top. I rode it last year for my 1st MASS race and overheard a lot of the racers say that Bear Creek was the most technical of the series. Be prepared for some serious rock gardens. Overall, the trails were a blast.

Here is a link to their website which has a web cam. Doesn't look like much snow left. I would ride it.

http://bcmountainresort.com/winter/

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Its open and ridable- I rode Tues and Thurs last week

mtbr member
    Yeah, what they said. It is rocky and technical. One of my favorite places to ride. I did the Mass race and a pre-ride.

The pre-ride was a blast, since you could catch your breathe before hitting the descents, some of which a a little bit rough .

PM me towards the end of the week when your plans firm up.

I am hoping to ride with a friend of mine and will try to convince him to head up there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've ridden there several times and hadn't found the trail's to be of extreme difficulty,and the tech and rock sections weren't stellar,but were fun.depending on your tech riding skills they could be challenging enough to test your abilities.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by readingracing
    I've ridden there several times and hadn't found the trail's to be of extreme difficulty,and the tech and rock sections weren't stellar,but were fun.depending on your tech riding skills they could be challenging enough to test your abilities.
    That's because you're used to the Mt. Penn trails. BTW, I'm loving all the newly cleared trails there, and I suspect you had something to do with it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    True...I sure did,and keep exploring I'm positive you haven't discovered them all yet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by readingracing
    True...I sure did,and keep exploring I'm positive you haven't discovered them all yet.
    You're probably right. But I think I know where to look. A year or two ago I tried following some trails that were badly overgrown and clogged with fallen trees. I've noticed signs of recent travel in those areas and can't wait to check it out. Thanks for all the great trails!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thank-you all for your feedback. We didn't get up there this Saturday but plan on going there in the near future. Maybe the 25th or the 2nd of May. This sounds like just the type of riding I like, technical. I have discovered a very tight, rocky, new trail to ride(try to ride) at Mt. Penn /Antietam. Seems very new.Not long but, an alternative way down to the bobblehead trail Taking a right from that stone cellar at the top then a left. It was so techy and tricky and dangerous I don't think I would ever be able to ride it but I could guess who made it and would like to see it done by them. Thanks again for all the awesome trails here!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    That one of my more recent runs,but there are a few others that are by far more tech with absolutely no room for era.just trying to do my part to keep on challenging the AM crowd.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkerkonadawgdeluxepaul
    Thank-you all for your feedback. We didn't get up there this Saturday but plan on going there in the near future. Maybe the 25th or the 2nd of May. This sounds like just the type of riding I like, technical. I have discovered a very tight, rocky, new trail to ride(try to ride) at Mt. Penn /Antietam. Seems very new.Not long but, an alternative way down to the bobblehead trail Taking a right from that stone cellar at the top then a left. It was so techy and tricky and dangerous I don't think I would ever be able to ride it but I could guess who made it and would like to see it done by them. Thanks again for all the awesome trails here!!
    I think I know where you mean, but from which direction are you approaching the stone cellar when you take the right? That's a 4-way intersection. And which one do you call the "bobblehead trail"?

BTW, I'll be riding there Sat. morning, and am hoping for some guests from VMB and PMBM. If you're interested, come join us.
    Last edited by tduro; 04-15-2009 at 05:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hey guy's that trail is called Stone Henge.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Full trail description, Topo map, and satellite maps here-

http://bikevmb.com/node/4179

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I hosted the last race of the season last year there, and yes, the back side of the cross country trail was basically a rock field...competitors on 29'ers had an advantage there and 26'ers had to dismount. Nice ride, but technical. Line selection is key. Really nice location.