mtbr member

How bad is the Wiss? How long 'til dry?

I know it drains well but this has been a bad week. Wondering if this coming weekend is out. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    i would think it's out mostly because of how many trees seem to fall across the trail after storms of this magnatude

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I was hikin back there today and its a MESS. Lots of tress and leave piles on the trail. Most of the trail had water runnin down it. BIG RUTS on most of the stuff that I saw. Some places the trail has washed out and its compltely different back there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroc0o0l
    I was hikin back there today and its a MESS. Lots of tress and leave piles on the trail. Most of the trail had water runnin down it. BIG RUTS on most of the stuff that I saw. Some places the trail has washed out and its compltely different back there.
    Thanks for the heads-up! Sounds like we may have to look to Belmont this weekend.

As and aside: In the three years I have lived in Philly, mother nature has affected the trails so much more than us biking folks ever could. It is amazing how much the trails change after these massive rain dumps. Guess it keeps things interesting out there

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by stymie
    As and aside: In the three years I have lived in Philly, mother nature has affected the trails so much more than us biking folks ever could. It is amazing how much the trails change after these massive rain dumps. Guess it keeps things interesting out there
    word.

-scoon

Inbred Homebrewer
    As and aside: In the three years I have lived in Philly, mother nature has affected the trails so much more than us biking folks ever could. :
    Nonsense. It's all due to me & Fe riding there in the rain last sunday.

Have a good weekend. We're heading to upstate NY tomorrow morning.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

Trail eater

sigh......

its times like these I wish I had a road bike.

As for wiss, Im giving it a miss. Till then Im going to tear up Belmont now knowing that there are miles more singletrack past the carpark at montgomery road/ave
    Climb like a goat, descend like a banshee

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    how is the drainage at belmont? i was planning to show up tonight.

Trail eater
    Quote Originally Posted by lanceh
    how is the drainage at belmont? i was planning to show up tonight.
    I have ridden out there after down pours which soaked wiss right thru however belmont appeared to have drained well. Ofcourse there were parts that were muddy but in no way a comparison with wissa. Mind you we have had some serious rain in the last few days but I bet it will be still rideable.
    At the very least, check it out and report back to us. We'd all appreciate it alot

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    if it stays dry for the rest of the day i'll give it a try. although, looking at weather.com makes me think i'll be doing a road ride tonight. should have brought both bikes to work with me.

mtbr member

Middle Run

i'm going to try ti get down to Middle Run/ White Clay in newark delaware. if anyone is interested let me know so that i wont change my mind.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zeroc0o0l
    ****. I was just getting used to the last big change.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    Nonsense. It's all due to me & Fe riding there in the rain last sunday.

Have a good weekend. We're heading to upstate NY tomorrow morning.
    I was going to mention names, but I thought I'd play nice You and those HUGE tyres, it's only a matter of time before FOW comes after you!

Have a good trip upstate, we should try to do something the following weekend

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkeith
    i'm going to try ti get down to Middle Run/ White Clay in newark delaware. if anyone is interested let me know so that i wont change my mind.
    Hey Keith, have you got the On-One back on the trails? Hope so!

I'd love to head down to Middle Run some time, sounds cool. Just a question of logisitics, what is the average time door-to-door for a ride down there (ie: driving time + riding time)?

Inbred Homebrewer
    Have a good trip upstate, we should try to do something the following weekend
    Sounds good. Sorry for dropping the ball completely last weekend re: Barley Creek Summerfest & the trip to Camelback, etc. Just figured that, given the weather, it probably would've been a washout anyway.

My apologies...
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    Sounds good. Sorry for dropping the ball completely last weekend re: Barley Creek Summerfest & the trip to Camelback, etc. Just figured that, given the weather, it probably would've been a washout anyway.

My apologies...

No worries, I kinda got confused about the dates myself. We have been scooting out when we get a chance, and when there is a break in the weather, which basically means we have not really ridden that much!

I spoke to Chip earlier, and suggested we all get together next weekend for some festivities, weather permitting

mtbr member
    Hey Keith, have you got the On-One back on the trails? Hope so!

I'd love to head down to Middle Run some time, sounds cool. Just a question of logisitics, what is the average time door-to-door for a ride down there (ie: driving time + riding time)?
    its about 45min from my door to the trail if i95 is good to go. note i live in north philly and i jump on 95 from Broad and Vine

Trail eater
    Quote Originally Posted by bigkeith
    its about 45min from my door to the trail if i95 is good to go. note i live in north philly and i jump on 95 from Broad and Vine

bigkeith, it will take stymie 45min to get out of bed, 45min to shower and then 45min to launch a..............
    do you really want to ride with him? He is going to kill me after this thread but I thought I would give it a try anyways
    Stymie you suck
    Oh yes, its ON

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    ok, rode belmont today and it was in really good shape. this is only my 2nd ride there so i can't really comment on how the trails normally are. considering that the race course was laid out at the lowest portion of the park it was quite impressive how good the trails were.

i on the other hand sucked ass. god, 6 hours at marysville on saturday is gonna suck.

edit: i meant to add that when i got back to the car i looked at my computer and it displayed 6.66 miles. funny considering the only other time i've ridden belmont was on the hell ride. i'm seeing a pattern.
    Last edited by lanceh; 06-30-2006 at 06:08 AM.

PVNEMBA vee pee
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by electric mustard
    its times like these I wish I had a road bike.

As for wiss, Im giving it a miss. Till then Im going to tear up Belmont now knowing that there are miles more singletrack past the carpark at montgomery road/ave
    I love your screen name. Luckily for me, I just picked up a Trek 5200. They (and I think all of their carbon roadies) are on sale during the Tour. The shop was nice enough to let me pick mine up early. However, after doing some sick hills today, I was crying for my granny.

- Chris

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    me, i wouldn't ride wiss this weekend...

but IF it stays dry till saturday belmont should be pretty good to go! the stuff we rode last night was pretty dry but they did keep us off lots of the more muddy stuff.

i hope to get out for a long one at least one day this weekend i gotta get some miles in for a long b!tch of a race i am doing later this month.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by electric mustard
    bigkeith, it will take stymie 45min to get out of bed, 45min to shower and then 45min to launch a..............
    do you really want to ride with him? He is going to kill me after this thread but I thought I would give it a try anyways
    Stymie you suck
    Oh yes, its ON
    And that's on a good day

mtbr member

Wiss Fine (Friday)

Rode there today and the trails are in rather good shape. Few trees down here and there, but for the most part dry.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Francine
    Rode there today and the trails are in rather good shape. Few trees down here and there, but for the most part dry.
    Good to know, thanks. Did you ride both sides of the creek?