mtbr member
    May 2012

hornet nest @ moon lake

There is a nest on t rex? Heading up to pump track area. It is about 400ft before the long rock garden within view of the large rusty tanks up in the back.
    These are not typical hornets...they are what is known as an Asian giant. They are a relative new import species.
    What makes them danger is the fact they are considered the most aggressive and the most toxic. They can sting more than once. The venom is a mix of hemo & neuro toxins. What 1s cant sting you will spit venom in your eyes, just as dangerous.
    The nest can be mobilized almost instantly 4 an attack. Something as simple as a bike going by is enough 2 trigger an attack.
    They are very large and their nest is in a tree in a vertical split. Please be careful. Not to sound like an over reactive chicky, these hornets have known to kill people with as little as 8 stings. They also are non allergic individuals...if you have an allergy to wasps or hornets please be smart and carry multiple eppi pens and try to avoid that spot on the trail.
    Thank you

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Is this at the bottom of Trex?
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Agh, I can't navigate my way out of a wet paper bag, hopefully I can get this right. If not I have gps lat/long numbers.
    I head up via ledgeview, onto 8 (?) At the top of that you can either go left via service road, skinny, going up to bottom of watkins or you can go up the steep hill, rocky ledge to the top of the park. As your going up you hit and cross the blacktop drive. Head through, (you can see the big rusty water tank in the background. (As if you are going to the pump track) there is a large rock garden, the tree with the nest isaabout 400 yrds before you get to the rock garden. Large tree with the nest up the exposed center n there is a smaller tree tipped b4 it. You can not see the nest going in as it is on the back side of the tree.

Gps lat/long are:
    Lat 41.25545285
    Long; -76.0407922
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hornet nest @ moon lake-20130904_175730.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    May 2012

mtbr member
    Well that's both scary and dangerous. At the very least a sign should be posted.

mtbr member
    If its an invasive and dangerous species can't something be done about it?

MaverickMotoMedia.com
    kill it with fire.
    Maverick Moto Media Motorcycles, Mountain Biking & Social Media Mgt
    Facebook Twitter Instagram

mtbr member
    From what I'm reading some people confuse the European hornet with the Asian giant. Has the species truly been identified?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    There are marked differences between the European and Asian. Size and color of the Asian is very much different. Yes they are invasive. Entomologists finally came out about 2 yrs ago and said they have landed stateside. Prior to that it was a hotbed debate.
    I am familiar with this species as I had a few flying around my house this summer and from time spent in Japan.
    The 1s here wont be as big as what is pictured. That I believe is the queen. Though some in that nest are damn close to that size.
    They present a couple of problems for possible removal though and that is when 1 stings it releases the attack signal. Instantly. All of the nest will be out and on you before your able to blink. 2: they are not the typical hornet/wasp where the night time is nest down time. These nasty wee devil's remain active 24/7. The nest is built n run that way so it is more productive. Bad for us but smart if you think about it. But still. Its presents a challenge to get rid of them.
    I was through that section of trail last wk n they were not there. That tells me that the nest is both new and a satellite grouping. The larger nest is located somewhere else. I will try and make it up in to mark off a good size area around the nest quietly as I can so at least you get a heads up. I don't advocate bush wacking on trails but an exception has to be made. Hopefully the 1st good frost is enough to make them go dormant.
    You know its a big deal when im heading in that way while wearing my headphones and the buzzing can b heard over that. Its not so much hearing it that gets to you, its the feeling. You can feel the vibrations from them. Like someone is mowing the grass. It's not a good sound or feeling

Did you ever have ham?
    How can we rid da Moon of these unwanted guests?
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by RossJamis View Post
    From what I'm reading some people confuse the European hornet with the Asian giant. Has the species truly been identified?
    Ding ding ding winna!!!

I am in pest management and will bet that these are European Hornets.

Also aggressiveness is a little over dramatized here.
    The species has a tendency to do 'fly by's' but not sting.
    Yes, they will defend a nest if you disturb it and sting but they probably won't sting unless they feel threatened. Stings are painful and if you have a reaction it can be bad.

When nests are in areas where they are threatening the well being of people, I still have no problem getting within a couple feet, gently placing a tube in their hive, and treating it. I will get several fly by's but have never been stung.

That being said, unless you know what you are doing and are prepared to be stung I would not mess with them. If they are a few feet off the trail and you don't directly mess with the hive, chances are you will be fine. Just pass with caution because you don't know if other wild life has disturbed them.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Looks a little like Cicada Killer, but smaller. I love those guys. Welcome seeing them every August when they come up from the ground and do their thing.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

wounded knee
    Saw this section blocked off today at the Moon

hornet nest @ moon lake-cimg6323.jpg
    Sponsored by
    VETTA
    GoPro HD Hero Camera
    The Recovery Sock

mtbr member
    Nuke it from orbit, the only way to be sure