mtbr member
    May 2008

Holland/Philly Area Beta

Heading down from VT tomorrow for a long weekend and looking for riding info in the area...conditions, riding spots, what bike to bring, etc.

Could do studded SS hardtail or fat bike. Could also just bring my cx bike if the trails are in the midst of the thaw/slush cycle.

Any info greatly appreciated!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    as soon as it goes above freezing everything is going to SUCK.

looks like friday morning would be your last opportunity to ride trails before everything thaws out. you might be able to ride most of the day friday since we got a hard freeze but as soon as it starts to melt we are done for a good while (unless your one of the seemingly countless a-holes who goes out and destroys the trails by riding them in the mud)

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Thanks for the info max. Not what I was hoping to hear but about what I expected based on your forecast. Looks like I'll be bringing the cross bike and exploring the local roads. And no worries...definitely not one of those a-holes! Cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    not meaning to imply you would ride muddy trails; just have to keep repeating the mantra because for some reason many people don't seem to get it.

weather should be nice so i am psyched to get out even if it is just on the roadie. it surely isn't as fun as riding trails, but when the weather is nice and the trails are crap you gotta do what you gotta do.

mtbr member
    I wonder how there are even trails in places like Scotland or the PNW where it rains all the time…

Video: Joe Barnes - 8 Wild Terns - Pinkbike

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    they are built with armoring to be all weather trails.

come out to a trail maintenence sometime and ask questions! all your questions can be answered and you'll meet loads of good people who spend summers cleaning up the mess of a-holes who make the ruts instead of being able to spend more time enjoying the park themselves.

in short, there are all weather trails but the wiss don't have those... so don't go out here when it is muddy. closest local option is mt. penn (but even there you gotta be careful as certain trails are not bullet proof like most of them are).

mtbr member
    Does helping clean-up after storm damage and trimming count as trail maintenance, or just building rock armored trials to IMBA code? I ride at more Brandywine SP than anywhere else, so where I go. You literally have no idea who I am or what I do…but I guess I'm an a-hole.

The issues with MTB access at the Wiss had more to do with conflict with other users, personal agendas and things like the PMBA President and Board members building rogue trails (I do enjoy irony) than any riding done in the mud.