mtbr member
    Sep 2013

High Rocks (Ralph Stover State Park) Trail Day

If you ride at High Rocks in Ralph Stover State Park, please consider joining us for our second annual Trail Day.

Here are some details:
    WHO: High Rocks climbers, hikers, bikers, bird watchers and anyone else who enjoys High Rocks at Ralph Stover State Park are encouraged to participate in the annual High Rocks Trail Day.

WHAT: We will be working on some specific projects as well as general clean-up and trail maintenance.

WHEN: Saturday, September 28, 2013 from 10am 1pm. Come for all or part of it. Every little bit helps.

WHERE: High Rocks Vista. Please carpool when possible. Parking may be limited so be prepared to park at Tohickon Valley and catch a shuttle to the High Rocks parking lot.

All volunteers who pre-register will receive an event t-shirt. You can get info and register HERE.

You can also find information on the FACEBOOK EVENT PAGE.

Also, if you frequent the mtn bike trails out there, please know we are trying to get input from the mtn bike community on what the needs are for that area. Some of this may or may not be addressed at this trail day but we do want to try and make a "big picture" plan going forward.[/SIZE] You can respond to this post or contact dana@doylestownrockgym.com. A member of the Mtm Bike community during the planning phase would be great.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Riding High Rocks today for the first time since before Sandy I would like to make this event. I've spent hundreds of hours building trails and Nox and would like to show this trail system some love. What specific projects are planned for this event?

Nox Trailbuilder
    Yo Mark! It's been a while since we built some trails together!
    How is High Rocks looking, got a trail report?

I'm going to try and make the trail day although I have another event to attend.
    I'd also like to hear what's planned for the day. Looks like we'll have a couple of the Nox builders there to help out.
    You may also want to hit the Warrington Eastern Mountain Sports store.... they've helped us out with builds on a few occasions as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hey Walt! Long time no see. Hope all is well. High Rocks needs a lot of TLC so I am hoping I can make this event.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I will be there. It's not going to be a mtn bike trail day, i'm thinking it will be more of a general clean-up and working on the trails at the overlook and the trails going down to the bottom of the cliffs. I moved to Ottsville 35 years ago and Stover Park has always been one of my favorite parks. Lots of great memories so i'm giving back.

walteR, csimkram. I'm planning on getting to the County parking lot at 9am and riding over to the state park. That Sunday is our 3 year anniversary of breaking ground building trails at Nockamixon. We need to have a party for the volunteers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I'm in.
    Last edited by markmisc; 09-10-2013 at 03:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hey folks...

Thanks for all the responses. Someone asked about projects and/or scope of the day. That is one reason I posted it here. While I do bike, I am mostly in tune with climber needs. We have some projects specific to climber access and DCNR has some ideas specific to the general trails. However, we don't actually know what the needs are for the bikers. We want to understand all the user groups as best we can, especially for long-term sustainability.

I invite anyone to get in contact with me or meet out at High Rocks to help us understand your needs. I am doing a walk through with the park service in the next week or so to determine projects for that day. Any input is greatly appreciated.

Also, register for the event at Doylestown Rock Gym - Pennsylvania's premiere indoor rock climbing gym so you can get your free trail day shirt and other goodies!

Thanks, Dana 215-230-9085x112 dana@doylestownrockgym.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks Dana. It's important to note that the biking/hiking trails also traverse land that is managed by Tohickon Valley Park (Bucks County Parks and Rec). not sure what direction (if any) needs to be taken in that regard. I'll try and make it to the event on the 28th.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Thanks Dougr! We are aware and that portion is being handled. They have always been supportive in the past. Our plan is to start at High Rocks and work out in both directions. We probably won't make it all the way to TV Park on this day. It is worth noting what needs to be done since the state folks are interested in long-term trail sustainability.

I just want to be sure that whatever we do is to the advantage of mountain bikers. For example, we have a lot of spider trails, especially after the hurricane. We don't want to designate one trail when it may not be a good line for bikers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    TRAIL DAY UPDATE

- Please check-in prior to starting any work. Not only does the Park Service need you to but you'll want to pick up your "snack pack", raffle tickets and other fun stuff. The information table will be located just inside the fence opposite the parking lot.

- Over flow parking will be at Christ Lutheran Church which is only 1 mile away on Dark Hollow Road. A shuttle will start at 9:45am and run throughout the day. If you know you are staying for the entire event then consider parking there regardless.

- Snacks will be provide but this year we are NOT doing bottled water in an effort to reduce waste. Water jugs will set-up for you to refill your own water bottles. DCNR is providing a water truck for non-drinking purposes but you can wash your hands, tools, etc.

- DCNR is providing most of the tools. Please bring your own garden/work gloves. We will have some on hand but not enough. If you choose to bring your own tools then please mark them. PLEASE DO NOT bring chainsaws or large power tools unless you have already been approved to do so.

- High Rock Climbers Coalition T-shirts will be on sale for $18. 100% of profit goes into the crag. We can only take cash; exact change is appreciated.

- Chubby's Dairy Barn is helping us out with some ice cream. A little sweet treat after a hard days work !

See you tomorrow! It's going to be a great day!