mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! HIgh Rocks/Ralph Stover Park needs help!

Greetings,

Do you ride at high rocks? If you do, then you know the condition of the trails are deteriorating and are in need of lots of tlc. I have been contacted by DCNR and they are outlining projects for restoration and change at the park. The Doylestown rock gym group/club has organized a meeting with DCNR that I have been invited to on Feb. 11th at 10:00AM at the Doylestown Rock Gym.

I am hoping to gather some fellow mountain bikers to participate in trail maintenance and to make our presence known so we are included in the process. Please contact me if you are interested in helping. I have not worked with DCNR before so I would also appreciate anybody with experience to accompany me to the meeting.

I think this is a great opportunity for us to improve this park, at least I hope so. And of course, if we are not heard, then this park could end up closed to mountain bikers.

Sincerely,
    Tony Shumskas

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Stover
    Greetings,

Do you ride at high rocks? If you do, then you know the condition of the trails are deteriorating and are in need of lots of tlc. I have been contacted by DCNR and they are outlining projects for restoration and change at the park. The Doylestown rock gym group/club has organized a meeting with DCNR that I have been invited to on Feb. 11th at 10:00AM at the Doylestown Rock Gym.

I am hoping to gather some fellow mountain bikers to participate in trail maintenance and to make our presence known so we are included in the process. Please contact me if you are interested in helping. I have not worked with DCNR before so I would also appreciate anybody with experience to accompany me to the meeting.

I think this is a great opportunity for us to improve this park, at least I hope so. And of course, if we are not heard, then this park could end up closed to mountain bikers.

Sincerely,
    Tony Shumskas
    Good luck Tony. The trails have been "deteriorating" steadily for at least the 17 years I've been riding there.

I'll help out whenever I can, but a 10:00 am meeting on a monday morning?

Not exactly convenient for those of us with day jobs, eh? Post back afterwards and clue us in on the details.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    If this is the place on old easton road, I may be able to come help. I work right next door and will try to come over. I

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I will let you know how it goes and yes deterioration is definitely a long term problem here for various reasons but something that can be improved. This park is off of Old Easton Road (611) just take a right if going North onto either stump Road or Dark Hollow Road and you can be at the park in few minutes.

I have flexibility in my job so making the inconveniently timed meetings is generally workable for me.

Look for my post tomorrow!

Inbred Homebrewer
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Stover
    I will let you know how it goes and yes deterioration is definitely a long term problem here for various reasons but something that can be improved. This park is off of Old Easton Road (611) just take a right if going North onto either stump Road or Dark Hollow Road and you can be at the park in few minutes.

I have flexibility in my job so making the inconveniently timed meetings is generally workable for me.

Look for my post tomorrow!
    Well? How'd it go?
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

High Rocks meeting outcome

The meeting was a good start. 3 staff members from DCNR and another 3 from the rock climbing community were in attendance along with me. The Bucks County Parks representative was unable to make this meeting, but I discovered that they had already attended a previous meeting and that they seemed to be interested in having improvements like DCNR. DCNR owns/controls about 15% of the park and the remainder is county. So I need to establish a relationship with the county.

While I am happy the rock climbing group has begun this ball rolling with DCNR, I think their main focus will be from the upper parking lot to the cliffs and all trails that pertain to the cliffs. So the need for mountainbikers to have the remainder of trails as our focus is great.

The main thing that came out of the meeting can be summarized as follows: The need for work is great, all stake holders are interested in having improvements, development of a comprehensive trail plan through a hired trail consultant is required and lastly there is a need to organize enough people to do the work and to generate funding. THIS IS NO SMALL TASK.

If you think you can be of help please respond and let me know where your interest may be.

Below is a follow up e-mail I sent to the attendees:

Hi,

It was nice meeting with each of you today. I feel very encouraged about the prospect of restoring the park trail system and also working with you on this project.

From the meeting today, I will work on the following tasks:

1. Contact IMBA
    a. Cost/availability to hire a trail consultant
    b. Pursue any available grant funding
    c. Sign usage information
    i. Kiosk
    ii. Trail designation
    d. Gather input from local IMBA Rep.
    2. Organize local Mountain Bikers for future work days
    a. Register each volunteer on DCNR volunteer sit
    b. I will start to contact local bike shops and outfitters like EMS to provide
    heightened awareness of the park’s dire need for help and to rally
    volunteers.
    c. With park permission post a laminated sign (letter size) on porta potty to
    get riders to sign up for work days.

Special concerns from today’s meeting:
    1. Users/Stakeholders:
    a. Hikers (climbers for cliff access, birders? (is there an active group?),
    tourists)
    b. Mountain Bikers: Riders are casual to serious athletes - riding should be
    considered Cross Country dependent upon trail consultant.
    c. Equestrian: local horse-back riding only
    d. Native environment
    e. DCNR
    f. County Park System
    2. Prickly Pear cactus is the only special plant of concern-on cliffs only
    3. Conservation of this natural resource means that we design a plan of action that benefits all the stakeholders.

From my perspective the work load requirement will be large and will likely need to be phased over numerous years. I think that working with other trail users is a great way for each of us to enhance one another’s experience in this beautiful park. It will be interesting to see what kind of volunteers we can assemble for the work load and I think it will be a fun rewarding experience for those of us that choose to get involved and make a difference.

I sincerely appreciate all the efforts of everyone who joined today’s meeting. Please feel free to add to any of my points listed above. I hope to have some information for you by the end of this week.

Sincerely,

Tony Shumskas

I'm more of a dog person
    Tony,
    I belong to the VMB mountain bike club and ride at High Rocks regularly. One of the VMB officers is a local IMBA rep. and I will be seeing him tonight at a meeting pertaining to the Blue Mtn. park project. I will mention the contents of this thread to him and see if he can do anything to help you/us (ie: contacts, pull strings, etc).
    Scott

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I will try to attend the meeting at the end. I posted a thread on VMB that you can check out under 3dogs4cats.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ed Hall Here,

Tony i've worked with IMBA in the past. Helped start PA Trail Hands an IMBA chapter. Mostly work with French Creak and Evensburg. Let me know what you need I am more than willing to help. I have a Shop in Harleysville and can get volenteers over to help emprove trails and also have alot of experiance working with parks to improve trails. You can contact me at work 215 513 7550.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Ed Hall

Bikeworks

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Keep posting thoughts/comments - High Rocks

I will be posting progress reports later this week. Please keep sending your interest and posting thoughts.

Everyone's input is relevant and important in this matter.

Thanks,
    Tony

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    tony,
    I've been talking to a lot of guys that are willing to put in some sweat equity time for the park. Just need to tell them where and when. Also my bud Matt says he would like to get envolved, he was the president of PATH at one point. So we have some guys with experiance in both the grunt work and behind the seen. Keep us up on whats going on. We are willing to help, just tell us what you need.

Ed Hall

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Ralph Stover was the first place I rode at when I moved to the states so I am more than willing to put in some hard work to get the place back up and running great. Let me know when you guys will be there working and I will do my best to get over.

Callum

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quick update:

I am currently working with the local govt. contact, fortunately a fellow mountain biker. I need to be sure that I secure his input and suggestions before taking the next step of organizing a meeting/work day. I hope to have more news soon.

Keep checking for updates.
    Thanks,
    Tony