Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hidden Valley

mtbr member

Hidden Valley

From their website, looks like Hidden Valley is opening a bike park mid-August. They are calling it a "North Shore" downhill park. Pictures of construction...

http://www.hiddenvalleyresort.com/PhotoGallery.aspx

mtbr member
    I saw some pics the other day but they have added a few more now. It's cool that they are going to open up and I like built features, but I wonder why is everything so wide? I mean it's like a superhighway compared to the shore. It should be a good alternative/addition to 7 springs though.

mtbr member
    Agreed, you could drive a truck across those features. Hopefully there are some skinnies in there somewhere.

mtbr member
    Im sure its to make it rideable for most riders ($$) would thin out the crowds if they make it an advanced line only.

Quote Originally Posted by JustMtnB44
    I saw some pics the other day but they have added a few more now. It's cool that they are going to open up and I like built features, but I wonder why is everything so wide? I mean it's like a superhighway compared to the shore. It should be a good alternative/addition to 7 springs though.

long standing member
    Their effort is to be commended, but I have doubts about the "flow" of some of that stuff. For example, is this banked ladder even ride-able? The entry and exit angles just look "off" for it to be a carveable, high-speed turn..

I'm not really into skinnies, but I agree that some of those sections seem too wide. I mean, why not just put the trail on the ground?

I guess we'll see how it turns out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I think alot of it is rideable, I spoke with the Rental Guy at Speedgoats shop the other day, and these guys are really busting tail to get it done. It's wide because I hear it's fast, also those of us that are a bit more advanced need to realize that here in western PA, many good trails are not open to bikes at all, (Laurel Hiking Trail for instance, imagine if that was open start to finish for bikes, how great that would be) but we need to get more people into biking, and if it means wide north shore stuff, or more people on trails at 7 springs, so be it. We need the sport to grow, so 3 thumbs up for Hidden Valley, I can't wait to ride it.

Also I found some vids of it on you tube

Search Hidden Valley Jake one will come up

Master of Beat
    Looks rideable to me hes just going the wrong way

mtbr member
    Website says it's open now. Has anyone been there?

mtbr member
    Ugh, looks like they're running a shuttle (vs. a lift).

mtbr member
    Yeah I was really disappointed to see that. I can't imagine that it takes long enough to get down the mountain that you wouldn't be waiting a while between shuttles.

Seems really smooth so I was thinking maybe I could take a lighter bike and just pedal up taking a longer and less steep way up the mountain. I'll wait until someone rides it and can let me know

I honestly figured I'd give them a try before I saw this shuttle business. Now I'm doubting its worth the time when 7springs is so close by

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'll wait for someone else to guinea pig it before making the trip. As a side note, I at least give them props for going with Norco for the rental fleet, vs. the ubiquitous Kona.

mtbr member
    Well, for what its worth, I've been hearing from some locals that they only have very very low end Norco bikes. They did tell me the model but I can't remember it.

Nice no rass
    They have Norco 6's with X9 drivelines. Not low end by any means. There are also some mid level HT's. Their fleet is very nice for rentals. No big hit bikes, but they don't need them right now.

Master of Beat
    anyone ride this yet??

Nice no rass
    Nobody, it's not open/finished and guessing will not be this year. After this weekend the resorts are empty until ski season.

mtbr member
    Are you sure its not open? Website says it is.

What do you mean resorts are empty until ski season? I thought I heard 7springs bike park is open until the end of October?

Nice no rass
    Positive, I figured it was too when the website announced it weeks ago. Checked into it planning on riding last weekend. No dice, it's evidently not completed.

7S is open until October 26th and the crowds will be minimal after this weekend. It would not be in HV's best interest to try to draw riders now with only one trail open, it's simply too late in the season. Tourists numbers drop to almost non existent after this weekend until the slopes open. You may see a few here and there, but even the DH at 7S will be mostly pass holders and a few die hard riders from outside the area. That's why it goes to weekends only after September 1. The place is literally a ghost town until the lifts turn again for skiing.

mtbr member
    Cool.

I'll actually welcome the empty trails at 7springs after this weekend of the disaster that was the food and wine festival. Seems like they made it very clear that that weekend was for the festival and bikes riders were second class citizens. I wish I'd have known before I drove the hour and spent the 29$.

Nice no rass
    Hmm, I rode there Sunday and had no problems with the wine festival. This weekend will be a mess with all the Labor Day festivities and the 24 hr. race, but I'll still be there. After 16 years there, I know how to get around the clusterfk

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    I rode the "north Shore" area about a month ago. Not sure if it is/was officially open but since it is about a hundred or so yards from my back deck, it wasnt much of a concern.

Not much of a ride ride unfortunately. The wooden section was only a couple hundred feet long. There may be more now, as they have been working hard on it.

They also have some downhill trails in place that are decent. Were supposed to have a shuttle running on the weekends, but i dont now if that is actually available.

Definitely a nice start, but not quite ready for primetime. Hopefully by next summer.

Nice no rass
    Poacher!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Rass Goat
    Hmm, I rode there Sunday and had no problems with the wine festival. This weekend will be a mess with all the Labor Day festivities and the 24 hr. race, but I'll still be there. After 16 years there, I know how to get around the clusterfk

Interesting that you didn't have trouble. Glad to hear it too. I happened to arrive there the same time as several other guys and we were really given the run around. They kept sending us back and forth each person saying bikes weren't allowd to enter that way. There was a general atmosphere from the resort seeming to treat everyone I saw on Saturday like 2nd class citizens. Then the drunken yuppies walking around the lift areas wasn't pleasent either.

I talked to a few people who went on sunday and said they were given the same treatment, but eventuly the resort apologized to them and gave them free tickets.

I'll probably avoid it this weekend and then I'll be go every weekend I can after that to make the most of the riding season. I heard they will be redoing some of the trails next week. I'm hoping so as the berms are getting pretty worn down

Nice no rass
    Yeah, some of the berms are chewed. Some rain and shovel work wouldn't hurt.

Keep an eye on the Autumnfest schedule, some of those weekends can be fairly busy around the lodge depending on the events.

Rule of thumb, drive up to Tahoe to park & unload your bikes. Ride down and get your tickets at the lift. This way you don't have to worry about the events. You only have to push or ride about 100 feet up a slight grade to the entrance of the park from Tahoe. You won't be able to do that this weekend though, due to the 24 hour race.

Master of Beat
    Sweet thanks guys

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Rass Goat
    Yeah, some of the berms are chewed. Some rain and shovel work wouldn't hurt.

Keep an eye on the Autumnfest schedule, some of those weekends can be fairly busy around the lodge depending on the events.

Rule of thumb, drive up to Tahoe to park & unload your bikes. Ride down and get your tickets at the lift. This way you don't have to worry about the events. You only have to push or ride about 100 feet up a slight grade to the entrance of the park from Tahoe. You won't be able to do that this weekend though, due to the 24 hour race.
    Good advice, I have seen quite a few people doing this recently.
    06 Kona Stinky Deluxe
    08 Gary Fisher X-Cal
    01 Jeep Cherokee Sport, locked, lifted, and loaded

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast