mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Hickory Run State Park?

I was staying at a place near Big Boulder this weekend and was wishing I could go for a mountain bike ride all weekend. I'll be back up in the area again this summer and was wondering if there is legal riding at Hickory Run State Park? If not, what is my best option close by to there? Since I know a lot of you who post on here are from that area I thought this would be a good place to ask. Thanks!

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Glancing Aft
    I was staying at a place near Big Boulder this weekend and was wishing I could go for a mountain bike ride all weekend. I'll be back up in the area again this summer and was wondering if there is legal riding at Hickory Run State Park? If not, what is my best option close by to there? Since I know a lot of you who post on here are from that area I thought this would be a good place to ask. Thanks!
    Jim Thorpe

Lehigh Valley

Wilkes Barre

All have lots of cool guys and riding areas

Goggle;

"Jim Thorpe trails"

"Valley Mt bikers club"

or our sig line at the bottom has our info for WB area

There are also 2 "Stickys" at the top of the Pa forum with tons of stuff to look through.

Happy riding!

All trails at Hickory Run are off limits to mountain bikes. The same goes for Nescopeck State Park

Jim Thorpe and Mt Top are closest trail systems. You can get a trail guide for JT area at the bike shop downtown. Best option for Mt Top is to hook up with someone that knows the trails.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks guys. I figured thorpe would be the closest option. Just a shame since there's mass expanses of woods right near where I was staying, and it's always nice to just ride out the front door rather than drive to a parking lot...

Did you ever have ham?

Hickory Run State Park?

There are some great hiking trails in Hickory Run, don't know what the state's reasoning is for not allowing mt bikes. In the winter time, there are snowmobile trails! Anybody care to shed some light on this for me?

There is also the Lehigh Gorge State Park rail trail which goes for, I believe 20 or 21 miles, from just behind the grocery store in White Haven to Jim Thorpe. There are others on here that can provide more info about this ride.
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    There's the old MASS series course outside White Haven
    I'm the kind of person you need to keep your eye on or I'll wander off into the woods and forget to come back...

ganginwood
    Quote Originally Posted by crashplayer19
    There's the old MASS series course outside White Haven
    its called spin cycle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Aswell
    the 5th poster, ganginwoods, is correct

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ganginwood
    its called spin cycle.
    that sounds perfect. Anyone have a gps log of the old course?

mtbr member
    Good question.. I always wondered why the trails were closed to bikes.. If I recall, PA state parks universally closed all trails to MTBs in the 1980s and since they got little resistance from the biking community, have not revisited the decision unlike at other state parks.. that is my faint recollection.. I rode the trails about 10 years ago when I was in the area and they were great as I remembered them but definately overgrown...

mtbr member

Hickory Run and Nescopeck

Both of these parks are managed by the same person. Unfortunately, he's anti-mountain biking, so his decision affects all of us. His reason for not allowing riding in Nescopeck is that there are "endangered plant species". None of the endangered species are mapped though. I met with him a few years ago and discussed his issues with putting a mountain bike trail in the park and had no luck.
    There are over 10,000 acres of land between the two parks I think. It's hard to believe that there's that much land and no trail access for us. The next time you're in the area send me a message and I'll show you the great trails in Mountaintop.

Big Up... Chump
    May 2006
    If you don't mind me asking is there a map of the Mt Top trails anywhere I can download?

TIA
    Zap

Tough Guy Extraordinaire
    Zap,

There are several books with maps of this area or as someone indicated before, you can get one in Jim Thorpe. However, due to a ton of ATV activity and limited MTB activity the maps should be considered a rough guide at best. If onegear is willing to show you around, take this opp. Broad Mt is a huge area and it's easy to get lost!