mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Help with Rothrock SF!

So i drove to state college from williamsport to ride Rothrock state forest. I picked up a purple lizard and headed to the area the guy at the bike shop told me bout. I went in the tussey mt side and drove up the fire road, passed the left hand corner with the turn around loop and parked at the first yellow gate on the right. Where lower tr and shingletown gap tr meet the road. I rode down the road to Bald knob ridge tr. Took this all the way to the top (actually walked most of it) then rode all the way along the ridge (stayed on BKR the whole way), dropped down jaunt tr that ran into lower tr and back to the truck. Im hoping that i just picked the roughest, rockiest trail out there because if all the trails are like this i dont know how you guys ride there. The rock gardens were so bad for me i ended up walking so much of the trail, even a lot of flat trail. The rocks were all short enough to get over but tall enough that they would stop your bike dead if you didnt get it over it. Is this normal riding at Rothrock? Im from asheville nc and ride pisgah a lot so im used to rocks and roots, but this trail was almost unrideable for me.
    Are there other trails out there that people recommend? A loop perhaps or even a general area? I usually try to get in at least 10miles and would not be opposed to any length longer than that if anyone has suggestion. Thanks for any help in advance, and i look forward to riding some more trails out there.

Photocodo

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    I don't want to name the obvious, but Allegrippis is not far from Rothrock. Pretty flowy trails there.

mtbr member
    above post is right, other than that, welcome to pa biking!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    You either misunderstood the directions you got, or just got bad intel. Heading up Bald Knob on that trail is crazy, even hiking it is a tough task. Once you got to the top and went a ways along the ridge, you should have seen a trail off to the left - Greenshoot. It's fun gradual downhill that has some rough rock gardens at the end. Actually the lower Greenshoot trailhead is right where you entered Bald Knob off the road. Maybe you were to head up that way?

Rothrock trails are generally slower more technical than other trails. Every trail will have rocks. It's just unavoidable. Sounds like you just had a rough start to a ride which carried through the whole ride. It takes some time to understand the trails to put together a ride that combines flowy downhill sections, slow rock crawling, meandering singletrack, and gravel road grinding. Don't give up on Rothrock from that one ride. Search or post here for route suggestions.

I've ridden quite a bit in Pisgah. It's great with the elevation and shear mileage of trails available. Rothrock is just as good, although it is significantly smaller. Just takes some time to get to know the area.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Help with Rothrock SF!

Thanks wi1trackrider. Thats kind of what i figured. The rocks on the lower sections looked more worn down so i figured that ridge may not see as much traffic, and for good reason. I felt towards the end of the ride that i was starting to get the hang if those rock gardens, seems like you really just have to power through them. Guess its just a matter of trail selection and learning a new style of riding, both of which im happy to do. Thanks for the help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Help with Rothrock SF!

Also are there any areas that i can camp out of my truck for free? In pisgah you can pretty much park in any pull off and sleep there without getting hassled by rangers. Is it like that here or are there certain areas that would be better for that kind of thing? Or is it not allowed at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by photocodo View Post
    Also are there any areas that i can camp out of my truck for free? In pisgah you can pretty much park in any pull off and sleep there without getting hassled by rangers. Is it like that here or are there certain areas that would be better for that kind of thing? Or is it not allowed at all?
    You can primitive camp in most State Forests for one night without a permit, but check the DCNR website for rules. For vehicle camping you're supposed to get a free permit through DCNR. I've only primitive camped, so I can't really say how much of a hassle getting the permit is. And this applies to State Forests only. State Game Lands and State Parks are totally different.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yeah definitely check state regs on camping. I want to say primitive camping is allowed throughout, but there is a minimum distance camp must be setup off a forest road or property/private cabin. You won't see what you do in Pisgah with camps being setup along the sides of the forest roads every 100 yards. Also there are designated wilderness areas in the forest that are off limits to biking and camping. They appear to be well signed. Basically just have to do your homework.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Check out www.nittanymba.org and www.mtbproject.com , www.happyvalleybiking.com here you can find ride loop sugestions

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    If you really want to get the lowdown, why not sign up for the Rothrock Trail Mix in june?It covers most of the trails in that area.

2 wheel drifter
    The ranger office is very responsive with getting you camping permits in short order - there are a number of vehicle, permit only camp sites scattered throughout the forest. I would also recommend the Penn Roosevelt campground, which is well situated for riding Roth Rocks.

And that place is actually pretty mellow from a rocks perspective, nowhere close to Michaux.