tmb
    When in doubt- turn left
    Feb 2004

Help me plan a PA vacation...

Looking for some friendly advice. I've got some vaca to burn up in the 1st week of Oct, thought I'd come see what you guys have to offer. I'll be driving from the SE Mich area and looking to keep the drive time to the 5-6 hr range(State college or so), of course at $4/ gallon closer is always better.

Got about a week to work with, be bringing the singlespeed, roadbike, disc golf stuff and camping gear. I'd be willing to move basecamp once, maybe twice, if needed to see the good stuff.

Trails around 15-30 miles, road routes of 20-50, near by disc courses, scenic camping and Yuengling are all things that are at the top of my wish list. If there's a spot that hits them all.... bonus.

I've got an Edge 705 so if you've got something on motionbased, throw me a link and a quick description.

Any SSer's on here? Gear choice thoughts would be great too. I'm running 33x16 here.

Thanks
    T

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Maybe I mi-read, but 5-6 hours from SE MI won't get you to state college. It's 5 hours just to get to Erie. As a SE MI transplant to Erie myself, if you're looking to mtn bike, stay in MI...go to the UP or something. My experience has been the mtn biking stinks here (Erie area) compared to MI. Maybe down by Pittsburgh...haven't biked there yet, but sounds like there's more activity. Thing is, by the time you drive to PIttsburgh (8-9 hours for you), you could be in the UP.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    Huh? I used to drive from Detroit (Southfield, actually) to the Lehigh Valley all the time when I worked up there... took me 8 hours exactly, so State College should be totally doable in 6 hours.

tmb
    When in doubt- turn left
    Feb 2004
    Yeah, I got 6-61/2 hrs from the 3 different programs I ran the route on.

Mich's UP was on my list but it'd be a good 8-9hrs plus I spend alot lot of time up north, I need some fresh dirt. Thanks for throwing it out there though.

Anyone with thoughs on Rothrock? A camp spot with close trail acess?

I'm gonna do some digging, see what I can find.

T

Disc Golfin Mountainbiker

Moraine State Park

If you're looking for both Disc Golf and good mountain biking, you should sheck out Moraine State Park! It's only about an hour south of Erie. It has a world class Disc Golf Course and some sweet mountain bike trails. check out http://www.pfds.org/course_moraine.html I have some contacts with the locals that can show you around the course, or the webpage lists the course contacts, both are great guys and you might know them if you play disc golf around Ohio and PA.

Kennerdell is also not far from Moraine with some good trails.

I'm actually driving up to Midland, MI over Oct 11th weekend from Erie, or I could've met you to show you some places dahn 'er n'at.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    no good disk golf here in state college, one kinda course. but great riding, at least 4 -5 days no problem. as far as camping goes, depends on what you want, there is Greenwood furnace state park, has showers and all that, i think they should still be open then. Penn Roosevelt state park has primitive camping sites, or you could "reserve" one of the permited sites in the state forest for free, but that gets you a kinda level area and maybe a picnic table. you could also move for a couple days up to Black Moshanon state park and do a couple rides up there as well. we have ride descriptions on the local club website, www.nittanymba.org I can also shoot ya some garmin tracks of rides if ya want. if you like good microbrew, make sure and hit Otto's in state college for dinner and brew at least once. the guys at Mt nittany wheelworks or The Bicycle Shop in town can also point you in the right direction ride wise

tmb
    When in doubt- turn left
    Feb 2004
    Yeah, this is the info I'm looking for!

Moraine sounds like a good over-nighter on the way east, riding & disc. Maybe hit Kenerdell on the way home.

Penn-Roosevelt is my type of camping, I'll be hitting that for a few nights. Who needs showers anyways? I've got no one to offend but myself .

Maybe hit Black Moshannon for a few days after Rothrock.

nmba guy- I checked out the website, printed off all the maps but need to do some more poking around yet. I'll pm ya my email if you could be so kind as to send me some of your favorite gps tracks of Rothrock & Black Moshannon.

Otto's, duly noted.

Thanks a ton guys, my week is shaping up nicely. Now I just need to head over to roadbikereview and get a few road-route ideas.

I'm gonna need a vacation after this vacation.

T