Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2005

help build the wissahickon bowl

ive been riding the bowl for a year or so building/grooming/cleaning. if any freeriders or dirt jumpers are around the area check it out. i built the bigger hit up nasty. theres also a 4ft+ drop built off a fallen log into the bowl that im gonna dig out and build it to around 6ft+ with little double or roller at the bottom into a larger hit. it actually a pretty fun place to session when taken a little care of. i have all the tools needed to groom hidden in the wilderness. im gonna try to be there around 6 or so monday, wednesday, and weekend noon time.

[IMG]http://C:\Documents and Settings\Compaq_Owner\My Documents\My
    Pictures\Adobe\Digital Camera Photos\2006-07-05-0728-30[/IMG]

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    it seems that i dont know how to download pictures too well. if anyone is interested in building e-mail me madmavic@hotmail.com

Lev
    You Guys Riding?
    Yo where's the bowl?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    in roxborough off henry avenue across from the golf coarse. its on hermit lane which takes you down to a park/baseball field. go behind the first baseball field into to park. you'll see the big hit i built up. it's hard to maintain becuase a lot of locals party there. i usually bring a rake/shovels/wheel barrel and all the goods. if you ride the park from the main street side of forbidden drive you ride down the trail until you hit the big long cement trail/road on the left that leads you to that opera house. you'll see trail posts on your left follow them and take the most upward trails to hit the bowl. it more for freeride and dirt jump moves so you wont have fun on an xc bike. you need something huckable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    madmavic I live REALLY close to where ur talkin about I drop in around valley ave. Ill be around tonight... just got done a big ride today but I would like to go down tonight. Hit me up if you want to head down. Im emailing you now

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    sorry got in late but i will be there during the week sometime. ill keep this post going to see if more people are interested. if you went tonight you'll be suprised at how big and nice the bigger hit really is. i carved it out real nice on friday night so it should be virgin unless someone hacked it up.

Freshly Fujified

Not to spoil the party but

Are you grooming an already existing legal trail, building a new legal trail, grooming an existing illegal trail, or building a new, illegal trail? Just curious, as while it sounds great that you're being proactive about maintaining a nice area to ride, I'm pretty sure Wiss is (or at least tries to be) well organized regarding trail building and maintenance. I'd hate to see your efforts go to waste if that area is off limits to bikes.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The Friends of the Wissahickon (FOW) is in the process of redoing all of the trails as part of their Sustainable Trails Initiative. IMBA's Trails Solutions team is doing the planning and one members of the team mentioned, during a DVMBP meeting, that a FOW board member thought that it would be nice to have a challenge park for freeriding. I have no idea how much support there is for a freeride area on the board, but if you want to have such a facility you should get involved with the FOW or attend trail work sessions on Saturdays. Often FOW board members are at these trail work events. Talk to them, let them know that there is a constituency for a freeride park and that you are willing to help build and maintain a park.

mtbr member
    its an existing qusai legal area, I think technically it is an illegal area, but bmxers have been riding there for years, and it is along the only access trail from the Rochelle ave and Sumac st area.

I was there a few weeks ago and it was evident some one was working back there, looking nice!

Freshly Fujified

Gotcha

Quote Originally Posted by dwnhlldav
    its an existing qusai legal area, I think technically it is an illegal area, but bmxers have been riding there for years, and it is along the only access trail from the Rochelle ave and Sumac st area.

I was there a few weeks ago and it was evident some one was working back there, looking nice!
    Thanks for the clarification. Hopefully FOW will see the efforts to maintain the bowl as something positive.

Bob
    'If Wal-Mart sold parachutes, who would jump?' Frank Havnoonian (quoting his father) Drexel Hill Cyclery

wot no bike?
    Quote Originally Posted by madmavic
    it's hard to maintain becuase a lot of locals party there.
    Yeah they made a real mess there recently with the more-than-usual trash all over the place. F'ing Roxborough. Anyway, I think I saw you packing the jump on Saturday as I rode past for a trail ride -- it's looking good...

-p

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    yeah well i build and CLEAN TRASH there which is more than the FOW do. that place is a total **** hole if anything im bettering the park illegal or legal. people have been building back there for decades as well as other unknown/illegal areas throughout the park. i have been thinking about organizing some kind of event to clean but philly cops are to lazy/busy to bust the kids lighting bond fires and breaking glass bottles back there its almost not worth it. ALMOST. anyway ill be there tuesday to session around 5 or so. maybe ill bring a trash bag and throw that half case of warm flavorful natural ice premium malt beverage away along with the fifty ****ing blue plastic cups laying all over the place. and BTW, i have my little green permit wrist band.mmmmk?

mtbr member
    I wasn't bashing, keep on working, like you said if anything you are bettering that artea. and It pretty much goes by the way side during any trail work done by the Friends.

Inbred Homebrewer
    Settle down, Francis. Nobody's giving you a hard time - 'cept maybe CmC flexin' his inner fred^3. And all he really did was voice some concern over your wasting effort in an 'illegal' area, when there's plenty to be done elsewhere (i.e. in more frequently traveled 'legal' areas). Just be glad the real fredfredfred doesn't lurk here. He'd probably point out that bond fires only exist in 007 flicks, while bonfires are large outdoor fires lit to signal help or celebrate an occassion.

Whoah... where am I?

Jokes aside, keep on keepin' on. I've stopped on rides before to clean up the same cups/cans/etc.under the bridges, so I know what a thankless job it is. I even hauled an empty half keg out once - which was a monumental pain in the ass (but it made a top notch brew kettle once I got it home!). Like you said, 'legal' or no - you're tidying up an otherwise neglected area. Nothin' wrong with that.

yeah well i build and CLEAN TRASH there which is more than the FOW do. that place is a total **** hole if anything im bettering the park illegal or legal. people have been building back there for decades as well as other unknown/illegal areas throughout the park. i have been thinking about organizing some kind of event to clean but philly cops are to lazy/busy to bust the kids lighting bond fires and breaking glass bottles back there its almost not worth it. ALMOST. anyway ill be there tuesday to session around 5 or so. maybe ill bring a trash bag and throw that half case of warm flavorful natural ice premium malt beverage away along with the fifty ****ing blue plastic cups laying all over the place. and BTW, i have my little green permit wrist band.mmmmk?
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

Freshly Fujified

ummmm...yeah...chill.....

I agree with Stick, relax. Just testing the waters here to see if what you're doing is making sense for the riders at Wiss as a whole, compared to those who choose to just go off and do their own thing, regardless of legal/illegal, etc. As for maintaining and/or riding an area that's potentailly off limits to riders-that's up to you. Been there, done that and know the risks involved.

Best wishes in your efforts.

Bob

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    thanks for you replies and input to my thread. i'm more or less looking for a "legal" area to build. i have contacted the president of FOW in hopes to learn more about what can be done to make the bowl a clean, safe, legal, freeride/challenge area. anyway, ill be lurking tonight 6 to 7 ish if anyone dares to go beyond the legal limits. im bringing a few trash bags too. and to the guys who thought there post offended me, not really they were very insightful. sometimes i forget that even though that area is a total shithole, its still not a spot im allowed to groom, ride or build.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    hey everybody...

i just wanted to suggest thet another cool area for some freeride type building might be over behind the houston playground over on the other end of the park up near bells mill.

although the trails over there are currently illegal to bike there is plenty of room up there and i nice down hill right behind the roller hockey courts i could really envision a couple "sweet jumps" on! as of now there is nothing here and i don't think it would be a good spot to just start building but with a coordinated supported effort to build some freeride trails over there, it could really be sweet!

just an idea... as the BMX bowl in roxborouigh seems to be kind of limited by the small amount of ground it is on.

Freshly Fujified

Good on you

thanks for you replies and input to my thread. i'm more or less looking for a "legal" area to build. i have contacted the president of FOW in hopes to learn more about what can be done to make the bowl a clean, safe, legal, freeride/challenge area. anyway, ill be lurking tonight 6 to 7 ish if anyone dares to go beyond the legal limits. im bringing a few trash bags too. and to the guys who thought there post offended me, not really they were very insightful. sometimes i forget that even though that area is a total shithole, its still not a spot im allowed to groom, ride or build.
    No offense taken here, I hope I had some constructive points. Keep up the proactive work.

Bob

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by max-a-mill
    hey everybody...

i just wanted to suggest thet another cool area for some freeride type building might be over behind the houston playground over on the other end of the park up near bells mill.

although the trails over there are currently illegal to bike there is plenty of room up there and i nice down hill right behind the roller hockey courts i could really envision a couple "sweet jumps" on! as of now there is nothing here and i don't think it would be a good spot to just start building but with a coordinated supported effort to build some freeride trails over there, it could really be sweet!

just an idea... as the BMX bowl in roxborouigh seems to be kind of limited by the small amount of ground it is on.

where off of bells mill? im not familiar with the roller hockey courts you speak of. the bmx bowl has a sweeet table to session. it about ten feet high and twenty foot tranny. its carved out super nice as of a week or so ago. ive never hit a table as big as this you get 6ft+ air just shooting off it not trying.just a fun area show your skills. as far as bells mill theres a few places you could put a sick road gap.

mtbr member
    where off of bells mill? im not familiar with the roller hockey courts you speak of. the bmx bowl has a sweeet table to session. it about ten feet high and twenty foot tranny. its carved out super nice as of a week or so ago. ive never hit a table as big as this you get 6ft+ air just shooting off it not trying.just a fun area show your skills. as far as bells mill theres a few places you could put a sick road gap.
    I cracked a rib on that table a year and a half ago. Fnn times. my first cracked bone ever at 25years old. I saw the new lip and can't wait to get my bighit back up and running to hit it, it's kinda scary looking while on my surly 1x1.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I cracked a rib on that table a year and a half ago. Fnn times. my first cracked bone ever at 25years old. I saw the new lip and can't wait to get my bighit back up and running to hit it, it's kinda scary looking while on my surly 1x1.

yeah....ive hit it 20+ times built up and im still tweaked. before i built the lip you could clear the tranny without pedaling from the top of the hill. now you have to pedal a little. i ride a rocky switch with 7" front 6" rear its around 35-40 lb light freeride bike. it handles well. i could imagine an xc bike wouldnt take it very well. A lot of people get hurt off that table unfortunately. thats why the little one on the side kicks ass, to get the skills and confidence needed to nail the bigger one.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    hey i was wondering about maps specificly online ones. i know where the bowl is however i have a friend who moved to philly from india about two weeks ago and was looking for local freeriding i told him its about the closest we have at the moment to west philly but i was having trouble describing how to get there any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks and lets keep the bowl alive

and adressing another issue FOW is not affiliated with the bowl to my knolege. i happen to be good friedns with the trails initiative head D-berg or the godfather as some know him and he continues to tell me when i talk to him about it that what happens at the bowl needs to stay at the bowl. every time i tell him about a new stunt durring class he stresses that ouside of the bowl new trails should not be made, the reason being that if mountain bikers start creating new trails it will ruin our relation ship wiht the park and then even the bowl will be shut down. i understand that most of the people on this forum know this already but you never know and we dont want a few ruining it for all

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    i would also like to adress the question about building up by huston it is over off of henry ave if its where im thinking its right as you come across the bridge that is just past the andora shoping center its another heavily partied area ive been there several times with fow to clean up we even took down an shack that some party goers made out of shipping pallets the only issue i would see is the quick erosion of the jumps due to rain fall on the steep hill as well as glass every where mgiht i sugest someone investigating the abandon ski hill off of barren hill road it even has an old lift there and ive been up there just to ride down it and its short but its steep and with some jumps and berms could be great

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/4768328

The link above contains a track at Wissihickon in which myself and a friend stopped at the bowl and attempted some jumps. If you "play" the track with "Player", the bowl will be located at about time 3 hours, 20 minutes. The coordinates of the bowl (if you have a gps receiver) are 40.02189 Lat, -75.20276 Long.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004
    I wasn't bashing, keep on working, like you said if anything you are bettering that artea. and It pretty much goes by the way side during any trail work done by the Friends.
    Nothing really to do with the thread except that I ride Wiss. now and again....
    Dave,
    Just wanted to say that I dig that Avatar!

Eric
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast