mtbr member

Health Advisory on Schuylkill and Wiss Following Fish Kill

Article text of article:

The City of Philadelphia is issuing a health advisory after a fish kill on the Wissahickon Creek.

City managing director Pedro Ramos announced that a health advisory is in effect for the Wissahickon Creek and the Schuylkill River after a highly toxic discharge killed fish near the Upper Gwynned Township waste water treatment plant, ten miles north of the city.

"The Upper Gwynned Treatment plant first noticed fish kill Wednesday afternoon and alerted the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection, which in turn alerted the City of Philadelphia. The DEP also alerted the US EPA."

The DEP says no dead fish were detected more than three miles from the plant. Ramos urged city residents not to swim, fish, boat, or have contact with river water until further notice. He also says do not allow pets into the water. City and state scientists are testing the creek and river far beyond the fish kill area.

Philadelphia decided to issue the advisory as a precautionary measure. Water intakes along the Schuykill were closed Thursday as a precaution as well. The city expects to update this situation early Friday afternoon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    wonder if they've posted any signs around the devil's pool?

mtbr member
    I guess the "Devil" in "Devil's Pool" is actually human waste.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    hopefully not!

Quote Originally Posted by lanceh
    wonder if they've posted any signs around the devil's pool?

mtbr member
    Good news! It wasn't human waste it was cyanide!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    i can verify there have been kiddies swimming in devils pool everyday since this outbreak... i see them daily on my commute home and wonder if there parent know/care that they are playing in water with doodies and cyanide in it???

mtbr member

Nerve Agent Byproduct/Waste

I've read that it's "OK" to dump chemicals in NE rivers. A nerve agent waste byproduct has been dumped into Delaware River and classified by media as not being anymore toxic than "liquid Drano". Just try googgling Dupont nerve agent delaware gap. More of mankind's deception, gives me nausea just thinking about it. .