mtbr member

Hazleton rails to trails - trail a bike test ride

Tested out the trail a bike with my 3 year old today on the Hazleton rail trail. The trail a bike was sitting in my basement for quite a while, and I can't believe it hasn't been used more. My son had a great time on it, until he had a meltdown just before it was time to head back toward the car. It worked great but you have to watch it around turns because it leans quite a bit.

Nice trail too. The first 4 miles is complete from RT 93 to Berylium road. There are spur trails of double and single track, that the trail a bike isn't quite cut out for. Phase II construction will start soon from Berylium Road to Eckley Miner's Villiage. The trail will eventually extend to the Lehigh Gorge. It's where I was introduced to mountain biking long before it was anestablished rail trail.

A few pics:

Ran into this little critter

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Just wait until he figures out he can 'steer' you by wiggling around back there. My 5yo son was doing that one to me this afternoon at the local rail-trail Enjoy!

mtbr member
    What age did you start him on it? I think moving forward i will stick to paved roads that have quicker access to our vehicle until he gets used to it. We were about 3 miles from my car when the meltdown occured. It was a looooong ride back!

Did you ever have ham?

Hazleton rails to trails - trail a bike test ride

I have never been down there on a bike, but I have hiked through there before. I always stop to see how bad my balance is on those crazy balance beams that are spring mounted down there. I love the pics of that fawn...so cute!!!
    Waging war on my pedals every chance I get!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by koval79
    What age did you start him on it? I think moving forward i will stick to paved roads that have quicker access to our vehicle until he gets used to it. We were about 3 miles from my car when the meltdown occured. It was a looooong ride back!
    We started when he was 4, but it was more about when I felt he would be able to maintain some focus back there than it was age, and even with that I only started taking him on public roads this year (and only 1-2 mile road distances so far) because my concern is more about him getting distracted and losing balance more than anything else. On a rail-trail he may break a bone or something, but on a road well....cars are the problem obviously. I guess what I'm saying is its more up to the kid and how they react than it is age. I've seen 7 year olds I wouldn't want to pull on a road just because they are everywhere...just my .02. Its amazingly fun and satisfying to have them back there, though. Picnic rides are a major hit!

Rolling on 650b
    Nice pics. I can't believe how big he is already!

mtbr member

Rail TRail...

....nice pics....especially like the shot of the fawn....we used to have an Adamstrailer Cycle years ago....kids loved it...but they quickly graduated to their own bikes....the Burley Trailer prior to the AdamsTrailerCycle was used much more....
    There are two paths you can go by but in the long run........