Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shrinking Clyde Rider :-)

Hazleton area MTB regulars?

How many of you ride in the Hazleton area on regular basis? I try to get out to the Broad Mtn as much as possible. Most of the time I end up riding by myself. If anyone is looking for someone to ride with, mostly after 5pm during the week, let me know. I am not singling out the Broad Mtn., I would be willing to ride anywhere between Mtn Top and the Broad Mtn.

My experience:
    This is my second year riding. I have a moderate riding ability and willing to try most trails.

^ The Trail Starts Here ^
    Hey:

How about next Wed night after work. I can be in Hazelton at around 5. I have to make a trip out there.Got any other trails other than BML. Done that a milloin times, still good though.

Let me know where we could meet up at. I know where Harrys u pull it is

LOL!
    [SIZE=3] Proformance Cycle[/SIZE]
    proformance58@cs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Proformance Cycle
    Hey:

How about next Wed night after work. I can be in Hazelton at around 5. I have to make a trip out there.Got any other trails other than BML. Done that a milloin times, still good though.

Let me know where we could meet up at. I know where Harrys u pull it is

LOL!
    As of now the BML is the best trail that I know of closest to Hazleton. I am still exploring other trails in the area. I may have found a potential trail that consists of 4 miles of rails to trails and maybe another 4-5 miles of power line trails. Totaling approx. 10 miles one way. I hope to find out if this trail is worth while this wekend. I will keep you posted. Either way I am deffinately down for a ride next Wednesday.

tturbotom:

I know some trails out that way, but where are you located? In Hazelton proper or on the outskirts of town? There are many rail/trails there! How many miles do you plan on riding?
    Have you ever ridden the Lofty tunnel and rail/trail?
    proformance58@cs.com

I work in Hazleton next to the Pocono Market Fair. Lofty as in the town just south of McAdoo? I have never heard of the Lofty Tunnel and rail/trail. If you want to ride there that would be cool. I am always looking for somewhere new to ride. On average I ride 10-15 miles depending on the terrain. I don't mind doing more or less though.
    Last edited by tturbotom; 05-24-2006 at 08:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I live in Bear Creek but work in Hazleton. I may be down with an after work ride sometime. Let me know and maybe we can set something up for next week.

Guys:

This is the Lofty Tunnel. We will be getting Wet as soon as the ride starts. There is a spring running out of the tunnel it never dries out. There are lots of trails in that area. Most were made by Quads so finding single track will be far and few. Tamaqua has lots of trails there too.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Guys:

This is the Lofty Tunnel. We will be getting Wet as soon as the ride starts. There is a spring running out of the tunnel it never dries out. There are lots of trails in that area. Most were made by Quads so finding single track will be far and few. Tamaqua has lots of trails there too.
    Where it that? That looks like it would scare the crap out of my kids.

I don't mind getting a little wet.

During work today, I was on rt 209 west of Tamaqua and noticed a lot of trails that branch off of the rail/trail that parallels rt209. Are these any good?

Guys:

The Lofty Tunnel is in the small town of Lofty. If you sneeze you missed it. The Tunnel goes under Rt 81. You drove over it many times and probally never knew it was there. The Rail/Trail on the other side goes to Brandonville, then Catawissa. It's been abandoned for years and many people use it. The Rail/Trail also goes in the other driection away from the tunnel. We don't have to ride through the tunnel.

The trail along Rt 209 near Tamaqua Is a Rail/Trail also.It is about 5 miles long. There are so many side trails in that area it boggles my mind!
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    tturbotom, we have a great group of riders in the Drums area very close to Hazleton.
    Normally ride every Sunday AM, trails varry on location.
    PM me for phone# and we can hook up. Going out tomorrow 7am if you can?
    Lee...what can I say we need to get together.

Joe:

I'm ready to go!

Weekends are out for this and next week, then I'm free from Motorcycle Fever. I cut some new MTB trails again tonight. Can you ride at night before it gets dark. Do you have light for your Kayak? LOL! Where ya been? I did a ride with Taco at Mt Top 2 weeks ago at night. It was so cool there was a Full Moon (not mine)., The trail was great! I rode and pushed the singlespeed and he even waited up for me. Gotta buy that guy a Christmas card and some beers!
    proformance58@cs.com

mtbr member
    yeah nights are OK, but not Wed. No lights...

Quote Originally Posted by jkad
    tturbotom, we have a great group of riders in the Drums area very close to Hazleton.
    Normally ride every Sunday AM, trails varry on location.
    PM me for phone# and we can hook up. Going out tomorrow 7am if you can?
    Lee...what can I say we need to get together.
    I live in Lattimer. 7am is a rough start time for me, but for curiousity sake where will you be riding. Maybe I could try to make it. REMINDER this is year two for me, I am not race ready.

I did a brutal 12 mile ride yesterday of mostly technical single track. I bit off a little more than I could chew.

PM sent

mtbr member
    Hey Tom, looks loke we will have a good group for Sunday See you at Balliets for 6:45AM
    you have my cell if you're going to be late.
    Hope to see you then.

Sorry I couldn't finish the ride today. As much as it sucked, at least it happened early in the ride. Here is the damage on my week old bike.

mtbr member
    That does totally suck...at least it happened in the brginning as it was easy to walk out.
    Hope you get it fixed, and we'll try it again. Also had 3 flats this morning and about 5 ticks ! Keep in touch. You may want to contact Steve for next weekend, I'll be kayaking

Sounds like I started a bad trend this morning. I was really looking forward to checking out those trails. I will have to bike fixed ASAP. We shall try this again.

My bike is all fixed now. I was able to locate a derailleur hanger at Blue Mountain Sports in Jim Thopre. Now I need to find out if the shop that got the bike from will warranty the broken hanger, since it was only a week old and it broke under normal conditions.

I am going for a 15-ish mile ride tomorrow (May 29th) at the Broad Mtn Loop. Any takers? Time debatable, but not too early.

No Gansta Lean here.
    Feb 2004

If I am correct....

Guys:

Right after I graduated from Pharmacy School... 1994...my roomate from college (who grew up in Mahanoy City, PA) had me drive my new '94 Toyota-Runner through there. Had to go over a BIG berm of shale to get to it. It was like it was raining inside of the tunnel. Had to have the wipers on!
    NOT THAT a couple of the old "grenade" bottles of Yuengling had anything to do with it!
    Wow! What a blast from the past!
    EWR-HE-148-11-4-97
    Microbeer's Better!

UPDATE: The shop I purchased my bike from replaced my hanger under warranty. So now I have a spare.

Yesterday I was out exploring some trails between Humbolt Ind and Tomhicken. The ride actually started at a ATV trail off of rt424. I found some trails that connected to the Humbolt Ind Park. From there I crossed rt924 and tried to follow some trails that parallel I-81. I was trying to get to the park/ride lot near the Hampton Inn. I encountered a stream/river that I couldn't cross. So I ended up following a trail that led me to Tomhicken. Next time I will start at the park/ride and see if I can find a connecting trail from that direction. Anyone up for some exploring next week or already know the trails in this area.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    single speeds fix derailleur problems

Thanks Steve and the gang for showing me the trails in Mt Top today, I like the pace. Sorry I had to skip out early. The ride back was pretty cool, a little technical in some spots, but overall very fun. I like the bridge that goes over the large fallen tree, I look forward to cheking out the rest of the trails out there. Maybe some day after work :-)

Anyone up for a ride early tomorrow morning (7/8/06). I have to be back home by 10am, so it needs to be somewhere realitively close to Hazleton (within 30 min drive to the trail). I was thinking of going to the Broad Mtn since I haven't been there in a while. I am up for other trails though, but not the ST off of rt437. The last two time I was out there I got poison ivy, EEK. Once I get some long pant riding gear I will go back out there, until then NOPE. Anyone? Anyone?

mtbr member
    How are you getting Ivy Ya must be riding SLOW, or falling alot.
    Kidding...How about Sunday morning??? Call me 578-9717
    Joe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast