Thread: Hazleton area

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Hazleton area

Anyone ever go riding around the state game lands and various local municipal authority trails around the Hazleton area? I used to ride there all the time and will have some chances to do so again for a while and was just wondering if anyone still rides up there.

Andy B.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Which trails would you be referring to? Rails to trails? Broad Mtn? Nescopeck State park?
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    We used to ride the narrow ATV trails and singletrack around Eckley, Upper Lehigh, heading towards Beech Mountain, Sandy Valley. Old coal roads and logging roads and cutouts through the woods. I did Broad Mtn and Nescopeck a few times, but they weren't where we usually went.

I was just wondering if anyone still headed out those places. I don't mind riding by myself, but I find when a few people get together they tend to challenge each other a bit.
    Main Ride: 2015 Trek Superfly FS 9.7 SL
    Other bikes in the stable: '11 Pugsley, '97 Uber V conversion

Keep on Rockin...
    There is a great trail system about 30 min away towards Mt. Carmel.

Go from Hazleton to Aristes through Ringtown. The formal trail system stretches along the ridge and watershed valley of Aristes and Natalie. Look on Google maps and you'll see what I mean.

Once in Aristes the trail system is not hard to find buts its best to ask someone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I've ridden those trails around Eckley, Upper Lehigh and down over the sides towards Beech Mtn and Sandy Valley on my atv but never really considered riding them on my mtn bike. They just didn't seem worth it to me. I've never even seen anyone on them on a mtn bike.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    ...The formal trail system stretches along the ridge and watershed valley of Aristes and Natalie...Once in Aristes the trail system is not hard to find buts its best to ask someone.
    Sounds like you're talking about Roaring Creek watershed trails.

official map link

Keep on Rockin...
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Sounds like you're talking about Roaring Creek watershed trails.

official map link

That's it.

There are also trails leading off the south side of that mapped network - they are not listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Miker J View Post
    That's it.

There are also trails leading off the south side of that mapped network - they are not listed.
    Here's a more complete set of trails that I've developed. Still somewhat a work in progress. Link

To the OP...there's also Delano trails off Lofty Rd. Trails are unmarked and somewhat difficult to follow for a newcomer, most were made for MX. But fun. Link

trail addict
    hey jonz, your map is looking pretty nice there. I have been working off of what you posted 2 years ago (along with your indiana jones-esque map) and we have a lot of the same trails marked out. Mine isn't based on gps data, just memory, reference of terrain, and landmarks I can pick out from satellite pics.

When my computer calms down a little bit, I'll send it to you for comparison.
    You better just go ahead and drop that seatpost down to the reflector... the trail gets pretty rough down there.

Thnx, I don't have a GPS,but it was created by using my own trail knowledge, the DCNR map, Google Earth, Google Terrain, and Strava Heat Map all layered as image files in Adobe Photoshop. Next step will be some kind of trail legend, which will be interesting because a lot of the Natalie stuff is semi-nameless.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for all that info guys! I just went for a short ride on the east edge of Freeland because I was helping my mom make tomato sauce and only had a little time between steps. I have to do some more exploring out there and see if any topo maps or Google Earth show some of the trails.

mtbr member
    Andy, were riding reading tomorrow leaving
    Hazleton by 7am if ur interested.
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    My time is split between the Hazleton area and the Lehigh Valley. Currently I'm in the Lehigh Valley phase.

I just did the tubeless conversion to the rear tire on my Superfly, so I think I'll hit Jacobsburg later today to see how it feels. I need a tour guide for some of the other trails around Bethlehem and Allentown.

mtbr member
    Rode out towards Hazelton last week and had a blast. I had friend who knew the area a bit to ride with. Back to the grind in the ABE area again now.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Nice Weiser map.