Delirious Tuck

Harrisburg area Labor Day Weekend Rides...

Hello!

Wife and I are coming down for the weekend from CT to visit family and bringing the rigs.

Looking for rides going out Sat or Sun. We're regularly at Mt Creek on weekends and on trail during the week so up for anything.

If nothing happening, let me know what folks think about priority, and suggested loops (directions/time/mileage) for:

Swatara State Park
    Rattling Creek
    Greenbelt
    Michaux

We typically hit Raystown but figure it'll be a zoo this weekend.

Happy to return the favor of guiding or suggestions if you're up in CT or New England area.

TIA - The Friar

VMB
    There is a group of riders from the Lehigh Valley area toying with the idea of riding at Rattling Creek. Not sure which day, Saturday or Sunday, but if/ when a decision is made I'll let you know.
    Kris

banned
    Apr 2009
    go 20 minutes down to York, make a left to Mt Zion Exit on route 30 and GO TO 'ROCKY RIDGE!!!'

Delirious Tuck

Harrisburg area Labor Day Weekend Rides...

Rocky ridge or Rattling creek suggested loops or Parking lots? We did Gov ***** but didn't have the right loop or maps and got to good stuff at very end of ride.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    my favorite Rattling loop at the momemt goes like this

- park on lot off Lykens Rd/SR4013 (east end)
    - cross 4013 and ride Stone Cabin to Rugged and back (counter-clockwise) as a warmup
    - cross 4013 and take Lykens Rd a brief stretch down to Doc Smith
    - Doc Smith out the other side and briefly up Lykens Rd to Fawn Kill
    - Left onto Preserve Line
    - Right onto Shale Run
    - Left onto Grimm's (or the forest rd) up hill
    - Right onto Luke's
    - Right onto Wolf Pond
    - Left onto Matter out to the hang glider launch area, take a break
    - Rock's Ridge all the way to Matter/Shreffler doubletrack (have fun playing on Rock's Ridge)
    - right onto Matter/Shreffler (doubletrack)
    - hard left onto Matter singletrack
    - don't miss the 90d right taking Matter to Preserve Line
    - hard left onto Preserve Line doubletrack back up a bit
    - right onto Shreffler
    - right onto Dry Run
    - left onto Rattling Creek
    - left onto Lykens Rd
    - right onto Hop Back
    - back to parking

I have a couple year old map copy of the Ratting Creek trails you can d/l if you need it => over here

smartass
    Here's a good resource for Rattling Creek. I like the loop in the direction they recommend: Rattling Creek - IMBA Epic Mountain Bike Trail, Lykens borough, PA

Rocky Ridge is too small to be worth it, same with Swatara.

mtbr member
    Rocky Ridge may be small, but has a lot to offer if you want to explore it.

smartass
    Rocky is a really fun place to ride, I ride there a lot. But compared to some of the options he listed - Michaux, Rattling Creek, Raystown, it just doesn't have as many miles of trail.

I consider it a good place for an after work ride, and I got the impression he was looking for something longer.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Rocky Ridge has 20 miles of marked (and unmarked trails)--I heard that from the Ranger there..

But this is the Most Fun Trail I have ever done.. Right when you come into the park I make that left (or right) into those 2 parking lots. The one to the right is trail 5 (and 5a, 5b, 5c, and the unmarked trails between those)---and those are smoother singletrack heaven there!! But the trail to the left also (it looks like most start there an ride it around)----but Impossible to get lost here, not crowded at all (rarely see mountain bikers there, especially on trail 5)---

But for technical flow (and fun)--this trail is hard to beat. here is map on website:

Yamba Forums ? View topic - The "Official" Un-Official Map of Rocky Ridge County Park

------------------And for those who say it is not long enough (ride it backwards also!!)--that should be 40 miles easy (and more fun riding both ways....)

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Hey guys....trying to work with Williamstown water authority about expanding the system at RC to the east. There is a potential of more than 25 more miles of riding if it goes through. Mike is hoping to meet with the Authority in October and propose a plan to them. Weiser extends almost to the west end of Tower City, so there's a possibility of some new trails in the future at RC. Water Authority could pose an opposition as they were raped when select clear cutting was done. Fine pretty good from DEP, so they may be a little leery of trails being built with water runoff and sediment issues. Also trying to get the OK for some improvements to existing trails, like a switchback set up coming out of deep hollow. Let's hope for the best.

Delirious Tuck
    Thanks for the suggestions. Thinking of Rattling Creek or Rocky Ridge Saturday. Sunday maybe try the greenbelt. Just looking for a quicky local to Harrisburg.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4