Thread: Harrisburg area

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Harrisburg area

Hey all I will be working in the Harrisburg area for the next5months or so and I will be looking for some trails to hit around there.I will be staying right by the bass pro shop ,just to give you an idea where I'm at. Thanks john

banned
    Apr 2009
    Mt Gretna is up there, but I would go to York trails in Central Pa., 15 minutes down 83 South.

go to Rocky Ridge (most fun trail ever!) look for Youtube videos on these--here you DO NOT need a map (impossible to get lost)---see the map on Yamba website below.

also check out the lakes (Redman) also there..

here are the 2 local trail organizations (with the trails they cover)----the boy scout retreat will be free to ride this year (Camp Mac)---outside of Lancaster.

YAMBA.org - The York Area Mountain Bike Association - York, PA

Susquehanna Area Mountain Bike Association - SAMBA

---I'd also say get to Philly (go to the WISS!!!!) that is an hour and a half from where you are on the turnpike...

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    Michaux

https://plus.google.com/117679937830...ut?gl=us&hl=en

Rattling Creek

https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=Xl

Tuscarora Mountain

Raystown

Rothrock

I know a bit all over the place, but none are too far from H-Burgh, and all are pretty damn awesome.
    Climbing Builds Character

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Thanks for the replys. I go home on the weekends so I was looking for something close to ride in the evenings after work,of course that would after time change when there's more time.

mtbr member
    I'll second the Rocky Ridge recommendation. I used to go between Harrisburg and York all the time for work and stop in for a little ride time and that is a good park for an hour or two of wandering. Do make sure to bring a helmet because it does live up to its name
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Harrisburg area

Swatara is a good option that is just north of Harrisburg. Not technical, but plenty of fun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    ----

10' Cannondale Alloy Flash 1 29er
    11' Salsa El Mariachi SS Rigid

steel is real...heavy
    Nov 2005
    Swatara is probably 35 min from you as is Rocky Ridge. Important to know if you are doing after work rides.
    South Central PA

mtbr member
    if you decide to hit Swatara, shoot me a pm i will join you.
    "foot to pedal, wheel to dirt, there is no substitute for the act of riding "

mtbr member
    Michaux is incredible!! You really should take the time to check it out. PM me, I would be glad to show you around.

mtbr member
    Swatara is literally 8 minutes from my place.

It is NOT a technical place at all, but you can get yourself a nice off road workout, no question about it. If you're looking for more "fun" mtb stuff, all of the other places are more technical.
    I love being able to just go out to Swatara and chew up about 10 miles in just over an hour. (I'm trying to get back into shape, so I'm slow, I know).

Legal nights rides there at Swatty Tuesdays at 6:30. Sometimes a bunch of us get together at 5:30 instead. Thursday nights at 5:30, there is a ride at Gretna usually.
    I haven't been out for a few weeks, and I haven't checked the conditions of the trails since the snow.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Sounds good guys I'll keep you posted ,maybe someone can show me around this place.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Jcomer View Post
    Sounds good guys I'll keep you posted ,maybe someone can show me around this place.
    For Swatara just make all rights at every intersection or all lefts at every intersection. That'll show you 95% of the trails there and you can't get lost. About a 9 mile loop or so either way. If you got a lot of time, run one lap all rights and another all lefts.

mtbr member
    All rights is the fun way to do it, I think. Not a fan of all lefts for some reason. Ah well.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    There's some trails off of the Greenbelt also, you could ride to those trails. There was a thread here on the forums regarding the trails. I only did a bit of exploring one day with some buddies and don't think we found everything based on what I read.

Lots of poison ivy when it's in season.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hey shaggy would that be down behind the bass pro shop? I seen some kind of riding trail the other day when I rode by. Really haven't had time to explore with the way this weathers been,the only thing I've done was hit the bass pro and planet fitness.