mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Hardtail 29er Tire Selection

I'm looking for a relatively lightweight, fast-rolling, and grippy tire setup for PA trails. I ride a 2006 Gary Fisher Paragon on a variety of terrain, from the flowy tracks at White Clay, Swatara, and Allegrippis, to the rougher stuff at French Creek and Roaring Creek.

In the past, I've used Bontrager 29-3 (the rear-specific version both front and back) and Nevegals (again, front and back). What I'm finding with the Nevegals, however, is that the 06 Paragon frame, especially in the rear, is not suited for tires with this much volume. With the wheel even slightly wobbled, the side knobs rub quite a bit. I'm open to keeping with the Nevegal up front, because I paid for it and because it works well enough. But really I'd like some insight on some other high-quality tire setups for this region (think 3-season riding). Any advice would be much appreciated.

eci
    Hope this helps out a bit

Tire Opinions - 29er, NEPA

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    big fan of the Continental Mountain Kings. I got the 2.2s and they feel very fast and have far better grip than my Specialized The Captains did

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I'll add to the couple of words I had in that other thread. The Continental X-King I really like as a rear tire for sure, and and depending on terrain/style maybe a front as well. I've only ridden the UST casings, but the Protection tubeless casing looks really nice. They run a bit narrow for their marked 2.2 or 2.4 sizes.

You didn't say if you wanted tubeless tires or not. I'd say Conti X-King or Schwalbe Nobby Nick if you aren't comfortable with a micro knob like the Ikon, AKA, Racing Ralph. An Ignitor wouldn't be a bad choice either.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I've become a very big fan of my Maxxis Ignitors for PA riding. I recently went back to my Nevegals and was feeling grumpy about them [of course, they are on my backup wheelset, in fairness]. I typically run higher pressures (tubed): 35+. If it is particularly slippery and I can force myself to ride slower/more gently, I'll kick down to 32 or so.

A friend commented that Maxxis stuff tends to respond well to being "slammed" over into the corners. Some of the transition knobs can be weak, but once you get onto the shoulder knobs proper, they will bite. Just a thought (hope I'm remembering the right conversation).

Best,
    Mark

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    Quote Originally Posted by Feanor76 View Post
    ...Maxxis stuff tends to respond well to being "slammed" over into the corners....
    yeah, gotta think of it like setting and edge when downhill skiing / carving parallel turns, particularly on icy crud.

just remember, lean the bike, not the rider. :P

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    My Salsa came with Conti X-King (non tubeless version) and I found them to be only good in hardpack smooth stuff. Ive since gone to Nobby Nic 2.35 tubeless and they are great for rocks, roots, etc.

banned
    Apr 2009
    Pa trails are made for NOBBY nic up front and Racing Ralph in back. For faster set up use 2 Racing Ralph's (like i do), for rougher trails go with 2 Nobby Nics (or even Hans Dampfs.)
    Last edited by 247; 12-13-2012 at 09:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    the schwalbes are nice but wear out way to fast for such an expensive tire.

i say schwalbe front only unless you don't mind spending 70 buck every 3 months on a new back tire. but they are FANTASTIC for those three months.

if you want to try a schwalbe at a budget price try a rapid rob. it was a great cheap tire but i basically turned it into a semi-slick in 2.5 months.

i like the corssmark in the summer and the ignitor in the winter out back. roll pretty well grip well and last a bit longer than the softer tires. up front i go with whatever is big. currently a specialized purgatory is doing very well up there. before that i had an ardent but felt like the sideknobs wore a little to quick and eventually made cornering pretty squirrley long before the center of the tire was worn out.

banned
    Apr 2009
    the schwalbes are nice but wear out way to fast for such an expensive tire.

i say schwalbe front only unless you don't mind spending 70 buck every 3 months on a new back tire. but they are FANTASTIC for those three months.
    VERY TRUE!! I just rotate my front and back until they both get too bald...

But I have tried 10 different tire combos and have found Nothing better (and for the toughest trails in the Country in Pa.--it's best to have what gets the job done!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    related thread
    4x tires (hans dampf evo snake skin + many others) ~$140 shipped bike-discount.de
    http://forums.mtbr.com/where-best-de...de-816053.html

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'll second Nobby Nics. Avoid pavement rides, though...otherwise the wear isn't too bad compared to other tires.

The Nobby Nics are awesome tires....saved my buddy's and mine asses at the seven springs race when the trails went to ****. I had run a conti mountain king in the rear for the first half of the race, and switched over to the Nobby Nic halfway through....the traction difference was night and day - no comparison.

And I saved both our asses because my buddy's bike broke and he ended up putting in half his laps on my bike. I love my bike - it took all the abuse and asked for more.
    Oh noes. I'm going to drink the Kool-Aid.

mtbr member
    Schwable "Racing Ralph" with the snake skin if you are in the gnarly rocks. I've had tires without snake skin wear through the rear side wall before the tread was gone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    try tioga psycho genius. they have been working great all season around bald eagle state forest and allegrippis. kenda small block eights are super fast around swatara and raystown. i rode those for a while on my rigid bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2003
    I love my IRD Fire XC's. Panaracer for some reason sold the mold to IRD, who makes them. They are really nice for PA, good in the mud, they roll nice, and the sidewalls are strong. They are also easy to set up UST. I loved them on my 26'er and never understood why they didn't continue to make them....but that's what I like, I run the IRD in the back and an Ardent in the front.....it works for me.

There are many opinions on tires, and really it's going to be a personal preference. I've seen guys with the Ralph's, and Guys that love the Ignitors, the Adrents, Kings, Small Blocks, and the Nevgals. But really you're going to have to try one and see how you like it....you will know when you find the right one. You'll feel confident and fast....and good luck to ya.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Geax Saguaro or WTB Nano 29"
    Spinnin' & Grinnin'