W.M.A.

Happy i live in PA

so im out west in san diego - met up with a cool guy from the socal board who took me to sycamore canyon...

man is it different out here... can you say DESERT... hot as a mofo and dry - no cover - riding in the blazing sun... i think there was one "tree" that i stopped under for a minute or two of shade. ill take hot and humid in the shade with a creek near by to cool off with over hot dry and dusty... with dry stream beds to ride through anyday...

just felt the need to share my experience and let you all know how lucky we are to have the incredible riding areas we do!

mtbr member
    San diego is a place you just have to be for a while to appreciate it, i was stationed at Camp Pendelton which is about 40-50 miles north of SD and we did PT and force marches all over that sucker. i hated when i first got there but it got better.

then a gain i was ten years younger and 40 lbs lighter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Todd, now that you mention it, it does seem like it might suck to ride out there. I mean it is after all, a desert. I remember going for a run or two while I was out there, but it was in the fall. the temps were mild, and I ran on the beach. That wasnt sooo bad.

BTW, What type of bike did you end up renting.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    shadowflag,

i don't know if la mesa cyclery is still in existence, (it was bought by bike usa at one point, i think) but if so, get the skinny on noble canyon and go ride that. i used to live for weekends when liberty meant a trip to the desert. i miss that ride more than any other i've done the world over. enjoy your stay. if you get bored, hit the trolley and head out to SDSU it's a gorgeous campus and i'm sure the people are too this time of year. don't waste your time with TJ, donkeys really don't hold any interest to anyone.

later,
    don

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    and hey, bigkieth, shed some insight on why pendelton always had good food?!?

we used to eat there all the time, our food sucked.

W.M.A.
    Don’t get me wrong… It was great to take it all in… I'm sure once you get used to the weather etc and know how to better manage the heat you learn to love it… and I am glad I got to experience it.

I got a beat up rockhopper hardtail… being that I ride FS all the time now that was another big adjustment for me – man does FS spoil you… oh its got baldass tires and brakes suck on it too – but I'm getting used to it – did a little urban ride today up to the beach, mostly bike path and road.

I did hear about noble canyon and that it was supposed to be pretty good – but I have no transportation to get there and tomorrow is last day that I have to ride (half day at that) before work begins… I was up near SDSU last night for a concert – from what I saw it was pretty nice up there

mtbr member

chow hall food?

Quote Originally Posted by bighitdon
    and hey, bigkieth, shed some insight on why pendelton always had good food?!?

we used to eat there all the time, our food sucked.

You must be talking about dominos pizza or jack-n-the-box. i was on main side along the back gate that chow hall was ok but it had to be because of all the people who stayed on that side of the base. oh and it was run by civilians.

and what do you mean by our food? where were you?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    bigkeith,

i was at ASW at the end of nimitz. i don't even know if it is there any more. but being an E-4 meant you ate what uncle sam gave you, and he gave us dog food, so we always headed to pendelton when we weren't on duty. if there were civvies there, that would explain it.

shadowflag,

glad you're having some fun out there. if you end up there again, try to hit noble canyon. you can do that mostly out of the desert, up around 5K elevation. i don't have any advice on the hardtail, except that now you're coming home to your FS.