mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Upset H0ly Sh!t, what happened to Francis Slocum

Hi Everyone. I lived in NEPA many years ago, rode Francis Slocum in the mid 90's. It used to be a great place to slam down a quick 90 minute ride with lots of cardio and technical hits.

Came back to visit a few friends and found a destroyed, half shutdown park. 30 minute ride at best. Was told by a ranger that bikers weren't allowed on half of the trails, only hikers. The other half have been dumbed down to a bunch of flat trails that my 3 old daughter can easily ride. All the techy sections are gone, the tails up the hard hills are closed, the log overs are gone. WTF?

On top of this, I was told by the ranger that it's a group of MTB riders that have made these changes. AND he said those same riders pushed to close 1/2 the part th riders.

This park doesn't get much traffic. Few riders a day at tops. Why would other MTB'ers be out to kill riding. Must me newbies.

If anyone knows them, please smash them in the head, tell them to learn how to ride, mind their own business, get into shape and stop being goofs. They clearly have too much time on their hands - maybe they should spend it riding and not being politicians.

Just shutup and ride already.

End of Rant. Guess I'll go back home to Philly where we have real parks with real trails, real rangers and real (good) riders that maintain them. Never thought I would say that about the city.

Wizard of the Trail
    Nice first post!
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Geist262
    Nice first post!
    I was thinking the same....

mtbr member

This is gonna be interesting.....

Actually, this seems more like bait to get Lee all riled up and should just be ignored. Funny name, though. And is that 3 wheeled bike a single speed?

mtbr member
    I guess he didn't talk to the Rangers that review the trail work and approve or decline it, hell, even the one's that help with the work and ride it. NEPA-great place to live and ride, going to the ghetto as we get more loud mouths from Philly-NY- and NJ in. If they don't like it- stay the hell out.
    "There is a road--no simple highway"

Wizard of the Trail
    Quote Originally Posted by tricofisher
    I guess he didn't talk to the Rangers that review the trail work and approve or decline it, hell, even the one's that help with the work and ride it. NEPA-great place to live and ride, going to the ghetto as we get more loud mouths from Philly-NY- and NJ in. If they don't like it- stay the hell out.
    And its not just with MT Biking either, its anything they do around here like hunting and ATVs
    There is no charge for awesomeness......or attractiveness.

Good rep does not wash out the bad, nor the bad the good.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Hal Jalikakik:

I guess your place is in Philly! Lot's of nice people there some NEPMTBA members also! As you know everything changes. When we formed our group there were new rules and changes at the park. Through PM Baker, the Rangers and the FSSP staff and our efforts we at NEPMTBA formed to help acheive more trials at Frances Slocum and maintain the existing trails. You should come back and ride the other parks and give them your professional review..................

Nice talk'in with ya!
    Last edited by NEPMTBA; 10-26-2007 at 08:49 PM.

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal Jalikakik
    Hi Everyone. I lived in NEPA many years ago, rode Francis Slocum in the mid 90's. It used to be a great place to slam down a quick 90 minute ride with lots of cardio and technical hits.

Came back to visit a few friends and found a destroyed, half shutdown park. 30 minute ride at best. Was told by a ranger that bikers weren't allowed on half of the trails, only hikers. The other half have been dumbed down to a bunch of flat trails that my 3 old daughter can easily ride. All the techy sections are gone, the tails up the hard hills are closed, the log overs are gone. WTF?

On top of this, I was told by the ranger that it's a group of MTB riders that have made these changes. AND he said those same riders pushed to close 1/2 the part th riders.

This park doesn't get much traffic. Few riders a day at tops. Why would other MTB'ers be out to kill riding. Must me newbies.

If anyone knows them, please smash them in the head, tell them to learn how to ride, mind their own business, get into shape and stop being goofs. They clearly have too much time on their hands - maybe they should spend it riding and not being politicians.

Just shutup and ride already.

End of Rant. Guess I'll go back home to Philly where we have real parks with real trails, real rangers and real (good) riders that maintain them. Never thought I would say that about the city.
    I didn't expect to hear back from you, but just in case you have computer access in Philly here's some correct usefull info to chew on:
    Are Your Trails in Jeopardy?

Your trails could be in jeopardy of being closed and you may not even know. In 2002 almost 1.4 million acres of "public" Game Lands was lost to open equestrian and mountain bike use. In mid 2005 the Allegheny National Forest, 513,000 acres in Northwestern PA, proposed in their mandated Long Rang Plan to limit equestrian use to only 12% of the land on signed trails only. Now the 2.4 million acres of DCNR (Department of Conservation and Natural Resources) State Forest and State Park trails are in jeopardy. Although marked with signs, most of the DCNR trails are "user generated" meaning the public created a trail that subsequently was marked and mapped for public use. As recreational use has increased these user-generated trails are not holding up in some wet or sensitive spots. Boggy areas have developed and erosion on steep trails is causing environmental impacts.
    Over the last 30 years environmental laws and regulations have been developed to protect our dwindling clean water resources and sensitive habitats. Those rules are beginning to be enforced on non-motorized, (hiking, biking and equestrian) recreational trails and rightly so.
    State and national budget cuts are affecting maintenance and repair of the existing trails and thus many trails with environmental issues are being closed or may be in the near future. Historically equestrians have not devoted much time to helping or learning how to assist the agencies. On the other hand horseback riders have been working a little on their own, trimming trails but not signing the volunteer forms the agencies require. These good intentions have caused environmental problems for the lands.
    What can be done to keep trails open and improve opportunities for access? The Pennsylvania Equine Council began a Trail Stewardship Program in 2002 to build relationships and awareness between non-motorized trail user groups and the state land agencies. There are many programs that raise awareness of trails issues and offer solutions to problems. For more info on these programs please go to pennsylvaniaequinecouncil.com or contact Bud Wills, PEC State Trail Chair and Gwen Wills, Trails Stewardship Program Director at gwwills@pennswoods.net or (814) 379-3759.
    Everyone can become part of the solution to our vanishing open space. Sometimes all we need to do is Ride Smarter!

With all that "mouth energy" you have you could convert that to this and do some good!
    Have you been Volunteering? Please Sign Up!

Cooperating with the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR), our State Forest and State Parks system, is vital to keep Equestrian Trails open. The DCNR participates with the Pennsylvania Equine Council’s Trail Stewardship Program and has asked us to convey the following information about requirements for volunteers.
    The DCNR Conservation Volunteer Program was established as a Department-wide initiative by the Conservation and Natural Resources Act, Act of 1995, P. L. 89, No. 18, Section 310. The program encourages active participants to help the Department carry out its mission of stewardship of the state forests and state parks.
    For our purposes, a Conservation Volunteer is someone who provides services without monetary compensation to an area administered by DCNR and who is not compelled by legal authority to provide these services. The Conservation Volunteer Program provides assistance to the work areas while providing volunteers with quality, outdoor-related experiences. It is a "value added" program that allows the Department to "stretch the budget." Volunteers serve in a supplemental capacity and work for the DCNR manager or a designated representative.
    Volunteer projects must be approved in advance and require an agreement that is signed by the DCNR manager and the Conservation Volunteer. The agreement contains the specifics of the project(s).
    There are two categories of volunteers. Category I volunteers are individuals or organizations who serve without compensation and are not affiliated with a compensating agency. Category II volunteers are individuals and organizations who are covered by Worker’s Compensation through their organization, agency, or place of work.
    • Category I and II Conservation Volunteers are treated as employees of the Commonwealth for purposes of automotive and general liability.
    • Category I volunteers are covered by worker’s compensation.
    • Conservation Volunteers must wear safety equipment and clothing as required by the participating Bureau. Field offices will provide their volunteers with the required safety equipment and clothing.
    For additional information, please visit the DCNR Conservation Volunteer Program webpage at http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/cons/ or contact your local state forest or state park (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/index.aspx).

And from NEPMTBA's website:
    [SIZE=3]As you can read from the above info we at Frances Slocum felt the pinch also as in years past there were social or user trails that were created by users and we rode them thinking they would always be there. The need to Sustain and Maintain was formulated and the park resources only allowed for some much to be included. This is where NEPMTBA a year ago stepped in and offered to assist in maintaining trails. "TO THE PERSON WHO QUESTIONED IN A VERY INSULTING MANNER OUR STEPPING UP AND BLAMED K. BAKER AND NEPMTBA FOR LIMITING TRAILS YOU ARE NOW CORECTLY INFORMED AS TO HOW, WHY, AND WHAT HAPPENED" It happened at a Statewide level not just at Frances Slocum. NEPMTBA is moving forward and will continue to promote, maintain, and assist the Park manager, Rangers, and Staff. We are way ahead of schedule with a 2 year plan to open more trails at the park. The correct way! I will expect the person who complained so viciously to be at "ALL' workdays and assist with this effort.

My friend Yelling, Bashing won't get you "ANY" Trails! So before you "kik" anyone you should offer to "HELP"
    Here's our email nepmtba@yahoo.com
    [/SIZE]

Last edited by NEPMTBA; 10-29-2007 at 12:45 PM.