mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Group rides and trail suggestions NW of Pittsburgh?

I'm heading to Shippingport on Sunday for 6-8 weeks for work, will be staying with my Aunt in Mars. I'm looking for someone to ride with and/or suggestions for trails to check out. Not sure of my schedule yet, but I'm willing to drive a ways for a good ride.

I found the PGH meetup ride, will try to make a few of those rides, and found a couple bike shops to check in with.

Hermit
    Not a bad place for a rider to be. There are three trail systems within about 15 miles! Bavington (aka Hillman St. Park), which is south down route 18, is a nice bunch of trails in an undeveloped piece of state park land administered by the PA Game Commission (least that's what I heard). There's at least 10 miles of trails out there, from way flowy to hilly and more techy. You should be able to find a map online.

Beaver Creek State Park is northwest, up in Ohio. The trails there are slowly being developed, so the groomed mtb mileage isn't that long. But there is a wide range of riding, from flowy to very technical. Some of the trails (along the creek) have been pretty much ruined by rogue equestrians, who have a 20 year history of poaching and wrecking the hike/bike trails. Still can be fun if it's been dry out lately.

To the southwest, in the WV panhandle, is Tomlinson Run State Park. These trails aren't used as much, and I'm not sure of the maintenance level this year. But if you like hills, this would be a good place to find some.

Also a bunch of trails in P'burgh if you want to head to the city. Check with PORC for other riders:

PORC Pittsburgh Mountain Biking, Western Pennsylvania Mountain Biking

Good luck and have fun.

Steve Z
    Pedaling when it's dry
    And paddling when it's wet

My insignificant blog:
    http://swampboy62.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    AWESOME response, thank you!

mtbr member
    Just as a reminder, Pa Archery season starts on Oct 5. and with it in the following weeks some rifle and muzzleloader until 2 weeks after Thanksgiving.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Bavington is a great place, lots of twisty trails, nothing too techy. North Park is not far from Mars, enough there to keep you busy all day. If you like rocks, Moraine State Park is a short drive north on I-79. Only about 10 miles of trails, but tough enough it feels like 20. Wear armor if you have it. Don't know about Swampboys Ohio and WV suggestions, never been there, but they are not far from Shippingport. There are a few more places within 30 min east, and some others further away. I know a lot of folks rave about Frick, but it's in the middle of the city.

Wise reminder from BlackMoBomber, too. Bavington is shared State Game Lands, lots of hunters there in season. Limited archery hunting is allowed in North Park, never had a problem there.

Dave

Edit: Bradys Run is over that way, too. Haven't ridden there, but have seen some videos that looked pretty nice.

The White Jeff W
    Bring your bike to work & hit Brady's Run Park. PM me if you want a guide.
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Racoon Creek SP has 17 miles of bike trails that can bee lolipopped or figured 8ed to increase mileage...mostly flowy dbl track with some forest roads and some easy some technical single track

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Roaring Run in Apollo and Deer Lakes Park should offer up some pedal time, too. Deer Lakes is real close to Mars...<15 miles away

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    p ,Jeffpm sent. thanks all, that should keep me busy

The White Jeff W
    Yup there's no shortage of quality riding in the area
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Great ride at Beaver Falls, thanks Jeff!

The White Jeff W
    My pleasure. Glad you liked our little park.
    No moss...