Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 46
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    314

    New question here. Group rides for beginners, old farts, and slow pokes

    Anyone interested in meeting for a group ride for beginners, old farts, and slow pokes? I would consider myself an "advanced beginner" and an Old Fart. If there are any others that would like to meet for an easy paced ride sometime? It would be great to get a small group together for a fun ride at various trails in the Southeast Penna area(Pennypack, Wissi, Middle Run/White Clay Creek, Del, French Creek, Fair Hill, etc). Maybe meet on Sunday mornings??? Anyone interested???

  2. #2
    Suburban Redneck
    Reputation: boxman12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    391
    I may possibly be interested in this. Sign me up under the "Slow Pokes" category, as I am fairly experienced, and by no means an old fart (depending on who you ask), but I am kinda slow since I don't get out much anymore.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: glorth2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    544
    Keep me appraised.

  4. #4
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,250
    Quote Originally Posted by XCBob
    Anyone interested in meeting for a group ride for beginners, old farts, and slow pokes? I would consider myself an "advanced beginner" and an Old Fart. If there are any others that would like to meet for an easy paced ride sometime? It would be great to get a small group together for a fun ride at various trails in the Southeast Penna area(Pennypack, Wissi, Middle Run/White Clay Creek, Del, French Creek, Fair Hill, etc). Maybe meet on Sunday mornings??? Anyone interested???
    Beginners, old farts, and slow pokes? Guess that's all relative to who you're riding with. If I'm free I'd join in.

  5. #5
    Suburban Redneck
    Reputation: boxman12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    391
    Any updates on the "Slow-Fat-Old Guy Club"?

  6. #6
    banned
    Reputation: punk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by boxman12
    I may possibly be interested in this. Sign me up under the "Slow Pokes" category, as I am fairly experienced, and by no means an old fart (depending on who you ask), but I am kinda slow since I don't get out much anymore.
    That's me exactly. I'm in, if it's within an hour of Lancaster.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    314

    Not much interest...

    Not much interest expressed thus far. Still hoping for others to chime in. If it stays dry the rest of the week, maybe a ride at Fair Hill might be in order? Does anyone know Fair Hill well and want to "guide" a few people? About a 12 to 15 mile ride? Any other sugestions?

  8. #8
    Inbred Homebrewer
    Reputation: Stick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by XCBob
    Not much interest expressed thus far. Still hoping for others to chime in. If it stays dry the rest of the week, maybe a ride at Fair Hill might be in order? Does anyone know Fair Hill well and want to "guide" a few people? About a 12 to 15 mile ride? Any other sugestions?
    I don't know Fair Hill at all, but I'd be interested in a group ride just about anywhere in eastern PA. I ride wissahickon, high rocks, french creek and blue marsh regularly. Thinking about going to Blue Marsh tomorrow morning if anyone's interested. It's a 30 mile loop, but I go at a liesurely pace (usually 3:30 - 4:00 to finish the whole thing) and there's an option of dropping a car close to the midpoint if anyone only wants to do half the distance.

    I'd like to start as early as possible, 'cos once the heat and humidity kicks in, it can be downright unpleasant at B.M.

    Anyway, let me know if anyone wants to meet there. Either post here, pm me, or email.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,266
    Quote Originally Posted by XCBob
    Not much interest expressed thus far. Still hoping for others to chime in. If it stays dry the rest of the week, maybe a ride at Fair Hill might be in order? Does anyone know Fair Hill well and want to "guide" a few people? About a 12 to 15 mile ride? Any other sugestions?
    I have been ridding fair hill since 1988 and would love to ride with some people down there. However, I am off to Vermont for and won't be back until the third week of July. I could do it anytime after that.

  10. #10
    Suburban Redneck
    Reputation: boxman12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick
    I don't know Fair Hill at all, but I'd be interested in a group ride just about anywhere in eastern PA. I ride wissahickon, high rocks, french creek and blue marsh regularly. Thinking about going to Blue Marsh tomorrow morning if anyone's interested. It's a 30 mile loop, but I go at a liesurely pace (usually 3:30 - 4:00 to finish the whole thing) and there's an option of dropping a car close to the midpoint if anyone only wants to do half the distance.

    I'd like to start as early as possible, 'cos once the heat and humidity kicks in, it can be downright unpleasant at B.M.

    Anyway, let me know if anyone wants to meet there. Either post here, pm me, or email.
    That's something I would love to check out sometime. But with my lack of time (tomorrow, anyway) and poor conditioning, I'll have to pass.
    As an aside, I'll be heading down to Wiss tomorrow at about 10:00 if anyone would care to join me.
    Enjoy the ride, Stick.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,266
    Actually, I am available for a Fail hill ride this sunday morning if anyone is interested.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: glorth2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    544
    Where is Fair Hill? I never heard of it and can't find it in the trail review section.

  13. #13
    Suburban Redneck
    Reputation: boxman12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    391
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgorth
    Where is Fair Hill? I never heard of it and can't find it in the trail review section.
    I've been wondering that myself.....................

  14. #14
    in the getto
    Reputation: toe-knee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    171

    fair hill

    fair hill is in maryland just past newark delaware of of rt. 273. so check the maryland trail reviews for it. check this web site for info http://www.chrisgroff.com/fairhill.htm . i love fair hill but it doesn't drain well and the horses are ruining it.
    it's a big sh*t sandwich and were all gonna have to take a bite

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,266
    Quote Originally Posted by toe-knee
    fair hill is in maryland just past newark delaware of of rt. 273. so check the maryland trail reviews for it. check this web site for info http://www.chrisgroff.com/fairhill.htm . i love fair hill but it doesn't drain well and the horses are ruining it.
    I was there last week and it was fine. There are some muddy spots, where the horses have been, but plenty of great ridding.

    I will be ridding with my wife at about 9:30-10:00 if anyone wants to join us. She has not ridden much since the kids, and hence her endurance is low, but she is a gamer.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    314

    9:30 am Sunday morning?

    Quote Originally Posted by anand
    I was there last week and it was fine. There are some muddy spots, where the horses have been, but plenty of great ridding.

    I will be ridding with my wife at about 9:30-10:00 if anyone wants to join us. She has not ridden much since the kids, and hence her endurance is low, but she is a gamer.
    It will be tough to get down there by 9:30 on Sunday morning, but I'll try. What route where you planning to take? I usually park at the Appleton Road lot.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,266
    Quote Originally Posted by XCBob
    It will be tough to get down there by 9:30 on Sunday morning, but I'll try. What route where you planning to take? I usually park at the Appleton Road lot.

    I will be at my Parents house which is 1 minute away from the Appleton road parking lot. If you can't make it down there this weekend, maybe we can arrange some other time.

  18. #18
    Suburban Redneck
    Reputation: boxman12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    391
    Anyone up for a leisurely Sunday morning ride at Wissahickon?

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    314

    I'll see you at 9:30

    Quote Originally Posted by anand
    I will be at my Parents house which is 1 minute away from the Appleton road parking lot. If you can't make it down there this weekend, maybe we can arrange some other time.
    I will try to be there at 9:30 @ Appleton Road Parking lot. Which trails do you usually ride there? How far do you expect to ride? I just got back from French Creek and I'm a bit sore(you know where). I hope I don't see another rock for a couple weeks! Make that months!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    30
    I'll be doing Wissahickon early on Friday/Sunday mornings from now till ? if anyone wants to join me. Still working on my conditioning, but if I keep becoming physically ill on the rides (like this past Saturday), the extra weight will be gone in no time, so my speeds will be better....................

  21. #21
    Inbred Homebrewer
    Reputation: Stick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    847
    Quote Originally Posted by evildead
    I'll be doing Wissahickon early on Friday/Sunday mornings from now till ? if anyone wants to join me.
    What time on Friday? I'm taking off thursday and friday, so I could probably ride with you this week.
    [SIZE="2"][/SIZE]"mmmm....Beeeeeeer." - Homer J. Simpson

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,266
    Quote Originally Posted by evildead
    I'll be doing Wissahickon early on Friday/Sunday mornings from now till ? if anyone wants to join me. Still working on my conditioning, but if I keep becoming physically ill on the rides (like this past Saturday), the extra weight will be gone in no time, so my speeds will be better....................

    How early is early? I try to ride at the crack of dawn - which is now unfortunately close to 6:45

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    30
    Well, seeing how I work until Midnight, the earliest I'll be there is 7:30. Gotta get SOME rest or I'll be more worthless than usual. Keep in mind also that I am still working on rebuilding my fitness base. So if you're a ripper/shredder, I ain't keepin' up! At the same point, I could use a partner to help me push my donut-infested limits. I've all but given up smoking, so that'll help down the road a bit, if not sooner. Actually, I felt pretty good Saturday, aside from the aforementioned purging episode. Plus, the new (correct size) mount is a big plus. I'll stop rambling now. It's late and I'm beat.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: glorth2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by evildead
    Well, seeing how I work until Midnight, the earliest I'll be there is 7:30. Gotta get SOME rest or I'll be more worthless than usual. Keep in mind also that I am still working on rebuilding my fitness base. So if you're a ripper/shredder, I ain't keepin' up! At the same point, I could use a partner to help me push my donut-infested limits. I've all but given up smoking, so that'll help down the road a bit, if not sooner. Actually, I felt pretty good Saturday, aside from the aforementioned purging episode. Plus, the new (correct size) mount is a big plus. I'll stop rambling now. It's late and I'm beat.
    Hey, I want to keep this bumped. Anyone up for a ride early this weekend? If anyone wants to try Jacobsburg you can head to my house (perkasie) and I'll drive the rest.

  25. #25
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    2,250
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgorth
    Hey, I want to keep this bumped. Anyone up for a ride early this weekend? If anyone wants to try Jacobsburg you can head to my house (perkasie) and I'll drive the rest.
    Maybe. What's it like there? Never been there. When were you thinking of going?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •