mtbr member

greenwood furnace camping and riding...

this coming weekend (july 24-27) and was wondering what kind of maps are necessary. will be camping with my brother who doesn't ride anymore, but planning on getting there thursday PM to get some riding in before he comes up. generally ride by myself and was wondering if i could manage with just the stoopid 50 race maps. looks to be relatively thorough and it is definitely more than i'm used to from riding at my 'home' trails in michaux, where none of the best trails are mapped! any heads up will be helpful, especially it there are some trails that i just shouldn't miss.

i have ridden in the area only once and that was earlier this year at the PA/imba meeting at the scout camp in early may. i believe the area we rode was coopers gap, and looks like a fairly epic loop can be made to include this area from greenwood. i'm more likely to stick to no more than 20-30 miles at most.

thanks in advance,
    jim
    The wheel of Ka turns and the World moves on.

psu cycling
    Jun 2007
    ... you should call Mt. Nittany Wheelworks and look at purchasing a Purple Lizard Map (I think they're updated with Cooper's Gap and it'll show all the trails near the furnace). If nmba guy finds this thread he'll definitely have better info than me.

Prez NMBA
    Jul 2005
    yup, all the way from Durango, but found it.
    the purple lizard as written does not have most of the new stuff in coopers (unless the new version came out in the past week or so) but the boys there could fill it in for you. I would just go to the www.nittanymba.org site and copy the maps from there, they can get you around. From Greenwood, head up Rag Hollow road, take a right out of the campground on 305 and its the dirt road up about a .25 miles or so. Take that back to the big gate at Spencer trail but climb up Sassafrass, the single track just to the right of it, the stoopid also headed up there. The better ride is to take a right at the top then a quick left on Kettle rd, backwards of the stoopid, take Sassafrass again on your right across the flat and down the other side (that is the stoopid hike-abike the race goes up) Cross the road at the bottom and head down through lewistown contingent. At that point you need to head up the road to your left and at the bump out/ gate on the right you have the option of going out long cut, the single track to your right, then up deer tick and out beautiful or go to the left and start up sand hole extended, staying to the left at the intersection with sandhole and climb up Shittaka. both will end up putting you on Chicken peter ( although the map still shows shittaka going all the way to kettle road, its re-routed to where chicken peter "kisses" coopers gap road). After chicken peter you can pick your pain depending on daylight. either head left on coopers gap road, the right on kettle (big climb) and back down sassafrass or you can head right on coopers to Chestnut, go in at the second camp on your right, then the trail is on the left. climb up to lingle valley and take that down to bear gap or all the way to conklin road and route yourself back to kettle again then up to sass, then back the way you came, an awsome downhill. cant really give you milage off the top of my head and depends on how fast you climb but they would be in the 3-4 hour range for the average joe.