Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004

Greenmountain Cyclery presents Fisher/Trek Demo Day

And man did it put me in a pickle.

I've been riding 26" wheel bikes for years. Recently started downsizing the 26" fleet to make room for a new big wheel brother. I've ridden everything from carbon 26ers, DH 26ers, DJ/Park 26ers, all kinds of bikes with the conventional wheel.

None of them rode as good as the two 29ers I rode today.

Camp Mack was great. Lots of varying terrain. I've done work days but never rode there. Rode with a local who really knew the trails and pushed me hard on the demo bikes.

Gary Fisher 2009 Superfly 100 and Superfly (hardtail). I didn't feel unstoppable, but they aren't big hit bikes either. I did however really enjoy climbing for the first time in long while. Especially once I was tired I felt like I could still put the power down, where as I always seem to get hung up on rocks and roots on the smaller wheels.

Riding the Superfly hardtail really made me reconsider what my next bike will be. Not necessarily in that this poor college student is going to run out and buy a Gary Fisher, but more in that now I'm trying to find something to match it's geometry...and that's hard.

Also rode a Trek Scratch. Fun bike, with 6" front and rear, but I've left my downhill freeride stage.

So I know I want a 29" wheel bike...now comes the hard part of building one for less than $600. I've got wheels and components, but the fork and frame are the most expensive part!

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    if you think those are nice 29ers you need to find a way to swing a leg over a couple models of the Niners, IMO. Not dissin' the GF, just sayin' you need to have a more broad experience.

Particularly one of the steel models.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Fisher makes a Steel 29er too. The Ferrous 29 http://www.fisherbikes.com/bike/archivemodel/470

Soma make good priced frames too. http://www.somafab.com/juice29.html

Chris
    WVMTBA
    www.wvmtba.com

Ride da mOOn Moderator
    Love the GFs...........

.................. but the EMD is also nice!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    My wife just recently bought a HiFi Pr0 29er and what you said about climbing is so true.It climbs way better than my Turner (sorry to all the Homers out there) . Being new to the
    29er thing,I thought they weren't supposed to climb as well....but in my case that's wrong.The bike also really improved my lousy downhill skills..it just rolls over stuff.Cool !
    Good thing my wife just bought this thing Ha !

mtbr member
    I ride a Soma Juice Rigid up at camp mack all the time and love it. My SC BLT is just overkill there the Juice climbs up everything and asks for more. Being rigid it takes a bit more out of ya, but its still pretty comfortable. You can get a brand new Soma Juice Frame and Fork for around 500 dollars. If you want to try one out I can take it to Cycle Works in wrightsville and leave it there for you to try. Jason can get you one pretty quick. Its a size Med.

Killer of Chains
    Feb 2004
    Ferrous is too expensive and Soma isn't any different than what I am looking at for a better price.