mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Green Lane Trail Day

Next Saturday November 30th we are going to have a trail maintenance day at GLP for anyone that is available. Our goal is to do some general trail clean up, removing branches , blowing leaves and clearing drainage areas for the winter. Depending on the number of volunteers we will spilt up and try to get the entire loop done so that we are good for the until spring. We will meet at the Hill Rd. Access at 8 am and work until around 11 if anyone is interested we will ride afterwards. Please contact me with any questions or if you are available.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks again to those who turned out yesterday! We were able to clean up the area the county wanted us to work on and also re-route a sketchy section on the red trail. Our plan is to clean up a few more areas in the near future including some work on the orange trail. Looking forward to a bigger work day next spring!

Thanks

mtbr member
    Sorry I didn't see this post, would've tried to make it out. Rode red/orange yesterday and they were good, red got a little muddy as the morning wore on.

What kind of work is planned on the orange trail?
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I walked the orange last week with the county trail supervisor and looked at some of the areas that were rerouted after the storm last year. The trail above the parking lot is fine however the other side lost some of its flow with the reroute and after showing him the areas they are planning on cutting some of the trees to open up the old routes. We have been riding most of those trails but it just doesn't flow right now.

My brother rode the red and blue today and said the blue was a little muddy as well as a few red sections, hopefully the warm weather will dry it up a little.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Good time clearing trails. Let me know when you wanna clean up orange. Love that trail but would love to see it flow better. Maybe a warmer day next time??

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Keep the trail days at GLP coming! I had to deal with a second thanksgiving Saturday and couldn't make it. I'd be up to help on any of the trails, I have a 20" chainsaw if need be to remove any problem trees. I'm not against doing trailwork in the winter, I'd rather do it that way and save the warm for riding!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ferguson65 View Post
    I'm not against doing trailwork in the winter, I'd rather do it that way and save the warm for riding!
    I like the way you think! Nothing like a little hard work to warm up on the cold days anyways.

mtbr member
    I ride there with Ferguson once in awhile, I'd be down to help if I can.
    13 Banshee Rune, Pushed Fox 36Float RC2, I9 Blunt35's

T1 barcode, pitchfork's, Hazard light's and profile's

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I am down for doing work in the winter as well so I will try to be more proactive I just didn't know if there was an interest. I will try to prioritize some areas to work on, I think the first may be the blue section that was just reopened. I agree let's use the nice days for riding! I am planning on riding around 3:30 tomorrow, we will be heading out from the green to red and the the cedars if anyone wants to join.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    When you get some ideas on dates, or what work needs done where post it up! I have much more free time in the winter as opposed to summer. I'm only 5 minutes from most of the trailheads, long as I don't have any plans short notice isn't an issue.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I would like to help but my Saturdays are busy with kids' sports. What section of red was rerouted and what blue section was reopened?

Are there any plans to remove down trees on some upper blue sections? Some areas are still in bad shape from the storm last year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The section of red that we rerouted is above the switchbacks on the honeysuckle , there was a shelf there that was off camber and getting smaller. For the safety of everyone we thought it was best to go around it. The section of blue that was reopened is from the Hill rd parking lot to the equestrian campground above the main park. That section has been closed to bikes since the mid 90's, opening it was huge because it helps extend the loop.

As for the upper blue trail, the goal is to have one loop that goes around the lake for visitors to use without confusion and works well for mapping purposes. We currently have the blue trail dialed in pretty well except for the new part so I think we may be able to start getting some work done on the sections you are talking about. The park is ok with us using the loops like the upper and lower blue but they are only going to mark,map,and maintain the main trail. Again the purpose of this is to avoid confusion for visitor that are on the trails for the first time. As for the chainsaws we are not currently allowed to use them back there however when I have made request to get things cleared they been pretty good about it.

The trails will be a muddy mess this weekend from the freeze thaw and now the rain, we were out yesterday and it was already questionable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TEAMGLP View Post
    The section of red that we rerouted is above the switchbacks on the honeysuckle , there was a shelf there that was off camber and getting smaller. For the safety of everyone we thought it was best to go around it. .
    That section was REALLY narrow when we rode there about 3 weeks ago. And it looked like someone had low sided it very recently. Not a good spot to go off the trail but thats part of the challenge, though the trend seems to be going toward more equestrian friendly smoother trails, hell, they paved the blue going in off Ward road up to first ravine.

I'm into keeping the trails maintained, making the flow better, but I'm disappointed with what they did to the beginning of the blue.

On that note...........Anybody else notice the tree that was recently taken down by a beaver on the lower blue?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    After careful consideration last year the section off of ward going into the blue was stoned for drainage purposes. That area was a constant muddy mess that was out of the control of the county and needed to be corrected and the stone was the easiest way to do that. The plan is by no means to create groomed trails but keep the trails as accessible as possible throughout the year.

We may get out and do some work on the red tomorrow since riding is out of the question.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    My wife is out of town, if you are planning to work in the AM I am free. I'll Pm you my number

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TEAMGLP View Post
    The plan is by no means to create groomed trails but keep the trails as accessible as possible throughout the year.
    Thats good to know. I knew that section got sloppy, but the fix kind of had me worried there could be more of the same to come.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Another productive day today in the cedars, we were able to open a new cut across the top near 29 that should keep us out of the mud this winter. Thanks again to the locals that have been helping out, the more hands we get out there the more productive we are! I will continue to post days when we will do more work, usually days when it is to wet to ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Dan, nice to meet both you and Darren yesterday. Hopefully we can continue to make progrees and make GLP an even better place to ride.