Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Green Lane trail conditions

After the recent weather we have had I urge anyone that is considering riding Green Lane to think about the long term affects that just "1" ride will make. I realize that GLP is not in great shape at this point but I believe in the next few months a revitalization of the trails will occur. The county has begun to clean up post sandy and they have also started working on the wet spots on the blue trail as well as some small ravine work that we have completed. I know everyone is itching to get out and ride but until it freezes again or dries out we are only doing more damage. I spoke with the county today and they will be posting a similar message on their web page in hopes of reaching the equestrian community. Work days are in the plans for the near future and I will be posting dates and contacting everyone that responded earlier. Thanks

mtbr member
    Have they considered signs at the parking lots? I feel like reaching the equestrian community is at least as hard as reaching the mountain bike community, and if the last time I was out there was any indication they are doing most of the damage (its not all bad though, when the mud was frozen there were some free rock gardens around the softer spots )

Looks like it *might* be cold enough to freeze the next few nights. Hoping it will be enough to get trails rideable by Sunday. If not at least the perk trail is closeby.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I recommended signs at the trail heads as well however it sounds like they have done this before and they are constantly being ripped down. Some people will continue riding no matter what the conditions are mtbr and horses, the only thing we can do is educate them when we see them.

mtbr member
    Oof. This is why we can't have nice things.

I think I'll just ride from my house up to the park on Sunday and try to ride around the reservoir (starting with blue). That way if the trails aren't rideable I still get some good miles in. I'll post back how things look, just in time for it to get warm and mushy again

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I checked a few of the trail sections today and it looks like the cold weather has firmed things up again. We are going to try and get a ride in tomorrow around noon I will post a report on the trail conditions when I get back in.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Rode the some of the red trail today and the cedars off of knight rd. the trails were solid and very rideable. Just a quick warning to all the winter riders out there, be aware of areas where water pools up when flooded my brother went down hard on one of these spots today in the middle of the field before the trail head.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update. May try to hit green lane tomorrow. And I agree, seeing the ice beneath the snow can be difficult!
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    I got a ride in at Green lane yesterday and did just the red trail. Parked at the second parking lot down Knights road. Lots of ice and some big pools of water. While the Wiss was frozen and fast, Green lane is frozen and slow. When the weather goes up today and this week, it is going to be a complete and utter mess. When the horses hit, the trails will be totally destroyed.

mtbr member
    Anyone been out up there lately? Thinking of trying to get in a ride after work tomorrow but not sure how sloppy it'll be.

mtbr member
    I assume that green lane would be a total mess. Even when frozen, it was pretty crappy.

mtbr member
    Hmm last time I rode there it didn't seem that bad all things considered (only rode red + blue, didn't do much on the far side of Knight Rd). Things seemed to be in good shape except for the usual field sections that I've never seen *not* destroyed.

If I don't hear back I'll probably err on the side of caution and spin on the perk trail for a bit. But Betzwood was in much better shape than I expected it to be yesterday, so I'm hoping things have dried out a bit up in Green Lane too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I was not out to check on the trails this week but my guess is that they are still pretty wet since the slow thaw is on. On a brighter note we rode up at Bear Creek yesterday and it was great, we rode up to the top and returned back the same way. The bike was almost spotless after the ride which is a pleasant suprise for March. There is the possibility that we may try to get a work day together in 2 weeks I will keep everyone posted when I know for sure.

mtbr member
    Rode the Blue and Red trails last night, they were in great shape except for the usual wet spots (Blue trail near Ward Rd lot, low section of Blue near Hill Rd area, any field section with heavy horse traffic). Only rode the portion of the Red trail right along the reservoir due to time constraints but those trails usually drain pretty well because they're cut into the side of the hill.

Dogwood trail was in pretty good shape too, except for the usual muddy spot where it crosses the wider horse trail and some standing water on one of the rocky sections where the shape of the trail doesn't let it run out.

I would definitely stay off the wider horse paths through the fields in the near future, but I try to avoid them at all times really. In 7 years I've never seen them worth riding, always a muddy mess or they have 6 inch deep hoof prints baked into them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Road the blue trail from ward rd. to hill rd. and back I was surprised at how good the conditions were. The first section was messy as usual but I am hopeful they will address that soon since the stone is sitting there. From there out it was great. I do believe that our volunteer group will be best used in the ravines and technical sections cleaning up the drops and providing erosion control and providing water run off.
    More wet weather on the way but it was nice to get out today!

mtbr member
    looking to ride green lane sometime this summer, Where is the good spot to park?

Joe

mtbr member
    Both lots are off Knight Rd, one at Knight and Ward rd the other near 29 on Knight Rd. If you're going around the reservoir I think counterclockwise is probably the best way to go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    We got out for a hike and some trail work today as expected it was pretty wet. My 7 year old rode while we hiked and had a great time with the snow. I like starting at the 29/knight rd. lot and going all the way around however somedays we ride from the house and climb up to hill rd. and start there. Either way there are some trade offs, jammin I will keep you posted we are looking to start week night rides when everything dries out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TEAMGLP View Post
    We got out for a hike and some trail work today as expected it was pretty wet. My 7 year old rode while we hiked and had a great time with the snow. I like starting at the 29/knight rd. lot and going all the way around however somedays we ride from the house and climb up to hill rd. and start there. Either way there are some trade offs, jammin I will keep you posted we are looking to start week night rides when everything dries out.
    Sounds good, always looking for more people to ride with.

Joe

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Was out there today, Red and blue in good shape except the usual spots. There was a guy on upper blue clearing trees with a chainsaw, its mostly clear just a couple spots with trees down.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    We were out yesterday and rode the blue to the red all the way around I thought the trails were in excellent shape. The park has almost completed cutting the down trees and it sounds like they are getting help from some others. I am planning on getting a day together soon to work in some of the ravine areas to clean them up. As nice as it was it's ashame we had this rain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The trails have been in such great shape lately! Im so glad I live two miles away. And to thnk I wasted my time and drove to nox. that place is the worst. Keep up the good work GLP!

mtbr member
    Red trail & Dogwood were in good shape last night. The trails in the woods up on the hillside directly across from the Knight Road lot were in great shape too.

The section between Red Hill rd and Markley Rd on the other side of Knight was in pretty rough shape. Got out of there pretty quick but a few spots were real muddy, if/when it dries its gonna be tough going for a while because of the ruts.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Blue trail was good as well last night very few wet spots and almost the entire trail is clear with a few exceptions. Broke my chain not once but twice so it slowed us down a bit but it was a good night.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    The trail was pretty dry today, except for a few spots. I noticed the improved trail markers also which were a nice touch.

I rode the red trail and blue trail today and then jumped on the perkiomen trail to head back to Knight rode parking lot.

What section of the blue trail is off limits to bikes? I seen a sign for it after I crossed Hill road into the horse parking lot.
    Pedaling Gorilla

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    We rode yesterday as well and the trails were in great shape. The new markings are a result of some past confusion, we walked the trail one day with the trail supervisor and identified where we think the trails should go I am sure we may need to change a few spots but I think it is better then it was. The only section where the blue trail is off limits is from the hill rd. day use area along hill rd. until you reach the section where it crosses the road. I am also optimistic that this area will be open to bikes again in the near future.

Goforbroke was that you on the orange salsa?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast