Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Thanks. Was thinking of hitting just the red with my son. May give it few days to clear.
    Ended up hiking around the park instead and was surprised to see many people out -from horses to bike riders. The single track was in pretty good shape. The "field" areas were pretty crappy.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I am usually the one that post about staying off the trails when it is muddy like this , however if anyone is looking to spin the tires head over to the new orange cut by the park. Riding the red and blue right now will surely damage the trails until we get a solid freeze. The orange trail on the gas line side that we cut this fall could afford to be torn up a little and it actually isn't a muddy mess right now. I rode on Saturday and did a little work building a monster log over that was needed and it was dryer then I thought it would be. As a new trail cutter/builder I am learning quickly that I need to consider both directions of travel and also lengthen my straight runs. The section that we did in there is ok but I am already considering some reroute areas.

Looks like Ferguson and I are going to get out on Tuesday morning to do some layout work on a new cut near hill rd if anyone wants to join us. The plan is to meet at the hill rd lot at 9.

Thank you to the local crew that has been diligently clearing debris when needed! We are definitely a small crew but everyone serves their part.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TEAMGLP View Post
    I am usually the one that post about staying off the trails when it is muddy like this , however if anyone is looking to spin the tires head over to the new orange cut by the park. Riding the red and blue right now will surely damage the trails until we get a solid freeze. The orange trail on the gas line side that we cut this fall could afford to be torn up a little and it actually isn't a muddy mess right now. I rode on Saturday and did a little work building a monster log over that was needed and it was dryer then I thought it would be. As a new trail cutter/builder I am learning quickly that I need to consider both directions of travel and also lengthen my straight runs. The section that we did in there is ok but I am already considering some reroute areas.

Looks like Ferguson and I are going to get out on Tuesday morning to do some layout work on a new cut near hill rd if anyone wants to join us. The plan is to meet at the hill rd lot at 9.

Thank you to the local crew that has been diligently clearing debris when needed! We are definitely a small crew but everyone serves their part.
    Thanks for the heads up. Yes, while some trails were fine, many were way too wet to ride. With that said, the sheer number of riders - from bike to horse - surprised me!

I never would have thought the orange trail would be ridable. Thanks again for all your work!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I hiked out on the blue today for a short distance and it is definitely not in any shape to ride. Tomorrow ferguson and I will be on foot to look at some trail options leaving from hill rd. Around 9.

As far as the Orange is concerned please ride the gas line side of Snyder rd as the other side will be a mess. The new trail that is marked with the Orange tape is so fresh that getting some tracks on it while it is wet will help to break it up a little. Looks like we may get some freeze this week and hopefully firm everything up a little

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just a heads up I met with the trail supervisor today and hiked a new section trail that we marked off of hill road and he was happy with our plan. The trail is marked with orange survey tape and creates a loop from hill road to swinging bridge. I am planning on blowing the trail off tomorrow if I can beat the weather and that should make it a little easier to see. Feel free to ride it when you can.

On a side note today we stumbled on a section that was recently cut with a chainsaw, there were a large number of trees cut and a log over was built in the area. The supervisor was not happy and is interested in finding out who is doing the cutting, obviously he knows it is a mtb rider with the log over. Please contact me personally if there are any areas that you feel need to be cleared and I will let the park know, we are not permitted to use chainsaws on park land.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I was able to get out this am and beat the weather and get the new section blown off. The trail should be easy to follow now and hopefully start getting some use. To access from hill rd ride the blue trail from the lower blue towards the top where it crosses the entrance road. As you make your way up you will see orange surveyor tape to the right, if you follow this it will take you along and upper trail towards swinging bridge rd. Hopefully we will get some riding weather in the near future.

mtbr member
    Anyone been out since it got cold? Was hoping it'd be good and frozen for a ride Sunday morning if the forecast holds true.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    Anyone been out since it got cold? Was hoping it'd be good and frozen for a ride Sunday morning if the forecast holds true.
    Not ridding but went for a hike. The Red trails was frozen solid.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I may try to get out on the red this afternoon, I will let you if I get out

mtbr member
    Rode today, mostly great. Some spots with a lot of leaves under the snow were tough (mostly on upper blue, hemlock and the bit of red behind the knight lot). The first part of dogwood (if you ride it counterclockwise) is absolutely trashed. I've never seen it so rutted - was a pretty big disappointment.

Get out and ride it today if you can I think we have a rough week coming up!

mtbr member
    Rode orange behind the parking lot yesterday and it was in surprisingly good shape. Its actually easier to ride right now I think because so much of the rocks are under snow. There is ice under it so just go easy into the corners. Wish I had gotten to ride more up there but the ride up on the perk trail was slow going.

mtbr member
    Google found out about the orange trail sometime recently. And it looks like they're onto the blue trail also. Not sure how to feel about this.

Green Lane trail conditions-capture.png

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Damn the Google!

Hoping to get out and start assessing the trails soon, let me know what you guys are seeing out there. Hopefully people will use some common sense and let the trails dry out before getting on them.

mtbr member
    I've been riding the dirt roads around the park a bunch lately, from the looks of things around there I think we may have another couple weeks to wait :-/

mtbr member
    Oddly enough I being to a eastern pa trail condition group on Facebook and the people said GLP is clear to trail run. I can't see runners not doing damage if it's that bad.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

mtbr member
    Hopefully they're running dogwood and packing all the ruts back down. I think once the majority of surface mud is dried it's usually 'OK' to run on but tires tear that top layer right up. Shoes do too if we're being honest, I don't think runners are generally as concerned with trail conditions as long as the ice is gone.

mtbr member
    I wonder what green lane will be like tomorrow? Going to be a cold night and I wonder if it will freeze.

mtbr member
    I wonder what green lane will be like tomorrow? Going to be a cold night and I wonder if it will freeze.
    So, as usual, I ended up hiking instead of ridding and it was muddy. Not as bad as you would expect but very wet in some areas. Lots of people ridding bikes and horses. Honestly, just seeing the damage the horses do, I see almost no issue with a bike rider in those conditions.

mtbr member
    I was planning to bail and ride the perk but ended up hitting a good bit of orange and all of hemlock and red today. A couple problematic low spots on orange, and the fields are craptastic on red but most of the singletrack in the woods was great. There was a unexpected wet spot near the end of hemlock closest to 29. And a tree down in the honeysuckle section on red, but it was only about 8" pretty easy to get over. I couldn't find the trail with the logovers btownrider showed me in the fall, assuming the stone pile got knocked down and the trail reclaimed by the woods

This was about as dirty as my bike got

mtbr member
    I was planning to bail and ride the perk but ended up hitting a good bit of orange and all of hemlock and red today. A couple problematic low spots on orange, and the fields are craptastic on red but most of the singletrack in the woods was great. There was a unexpected wet spot near the end of hemlock closest to 29. And a tree down in the honeysuckle section on red, but it was only about 8" pretty easy to get over. I couldn't find the trail with the logovers btownrider showed me in the fall, assuming the stone pile got knocked down and the trail reclaimed by the woods

This was about as dirty as my bike got

That is great news. I actually walked around both green lane and Nox and both were in pretty good condition. May try to get a ride in tomorrow before the weather changes....

mtbr member
    Not sure on timing yet but I'm gonna ride from the ward rd lot after work today if anyone is interested

mtbr member
    Change of plans meeting at Knight lot at 5

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I walked hemlock yesterday and the new upper blue / whitetail tonight with the wife. Hemlock was great. That one wet spot is pretty much the only bad spot, and it's always wet. it's easy enough to get to and I'm sure could be made to drain better if we looked at why it happens, I mean it is on a hill. The new upper blue TEAMGLP and I cut around Christmas is visible and easy to follow, though someone pulled the ribbons off for the first hundred yards or so. There is a big tree down on the rocky decent, probably blew down this weekend. Saw a red fox and a few deer back there tonight. Moved what I could by hand, chainsaw required for the rest.

On a side note, I saw they were looking for volunteers to help with trail maintenance. I may try to get more details. If it frees me to use the tree remover when necessary I'd be game.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Rode the main loop today, took upper blue and hit dogwood both were OK. The usual problem areas on upper blue. Bike was filthy when I finished because I tried going across the field and down the gravel path instead of taking that rutted mess down to the red trail lot on Knight closer to 29 (take the rutted mess, the other way is even worse).

I need you guys to show me the new trail on blue side sometime, have kept an eye out but not found it yet.

Think I've ridden all of the park in the last two days except the section where they do the guerilla CX trails (and the trails I can't find ), and pretty much everything in the woods is in great shape. Here's hoping we don't get all the rain thats called for, or that people have enough sense to stay off the trails Saturday if we do get it all...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Really sucks its going to rain tomorrow, Green Lane was awesome tonight!
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Rode the Red trail out to the connector and back today including a couple of off shoots down by the lake. Conditions were really good aside from the usual mud spots. I saw a lot of people out on bikes, horses, and just hiking around. Everyone was very nice and I always try to be as well.

Cannondale was well represented today I saw a good number of nice ones out there. (including mine if I do say so myself!)

A couple of damn nice Santa Cruz bikes too.

The equestrians I did encounter were very nice and we all got a long just fine so that was a welcome addition.

I would've liked to do the blue trail but I was worried about conditions and quite honestly I've been a couch jockey all winter so my fitness level leaves something to be desired there.

The mud I did encounter was chocolate milk (by the parking area before/after the paved section and before the first little curve and hill) to chunky peanut butter in almost every other spot where there was mud. Otherwise the moisture level on the trails was perfect. Great day overall. Just need to lay off the Doritos.

Here's a shameless shot of the ride:

Green Lane trail conditions-img_0438.jpg

EDIT: The saddle bag is for keys, wallet, etc...

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Got out this morning and rode the blue loop top/bottom. This past fall ferguson and I cleaned up and upper section and connected it with the existing blue with the help from some rogue trail workers. Overall the loop is great, almost 4 miles with some technical section, climbs and flow. Couple areas need trees cut and I will re-mark it as somone pulled down some ribbons. Feel free to post any areas that need work and we will try to get them cleaned up.

mtbr member
    I was out on Sunday. On Blue right before the downed tree before the big climb someone piled some thorn bushes on the trail. I moved them out of the way. It was bizarre. It wasn't enough to do anything and it was in a straight away, so anyone would see it coming.
    It's hardly worth mentioning but, to document it.
    Ask me about Evansburg State Park
    Trail days. 3rd Sunday
    of the month.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hello,
    I have ridden Green Lane in the past, but in the last year I purchased a house in Pennsburg. I am now riding GLP more frequently and would like to help out with any trail work that may be needed. If this is possible let me know.
    Thanks
    Ryan

mtbr member
    There are trail days posted here from time to time - I've still never been able to make one but someday the stars will align. I do my best to carry a folding saw with me whenever there have been heavy winds.

You aren't the lucky new owner of that house that had the for sale sign right on the blue trail are ya?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Haha, not that lucky. I am more down by the Weis.

mtbr member
    Even the path to the lot across from dogwood was dry today. We need some rain badly.

One downed tree near hemlock entrance by the school, another right in the middle of upper blue.

mtbr member
    Gonna ride from the red trail lot (the one closest to 29) after work if anyones interested. 5pm

mtbr member
    Rode pretty much everything on the red side of the reservoir yesterday. The stuff across Knight rd that holds moisture a bit longer was in great shape, especially the section right across from the stream crossing where the cyclocross guys ride in the fall. Someone's done some work on the trail down along the base of the hill, added little mini rollers and a nice bridge over one of the drainage ruts. Other sections getting kinda dusty, to the point that it affected traction a bit. The "high" trail right across from the lot (the one that was getting booby trapped in fall/winter) is getting ridden in pretty nicely, but there are a few spots its getting loose. Hopefully we get some rain to help it firm up a bit.

They are doing work on the gas station across from the lot, it stunk like natural gas when I pulled in and whatever they were doing was very loud. Looks like that should be done in a couple days though.

mtbr member
    Everything was perfect today. Good to see puddles by the knight rd bridge again.

Not sure how much its supposed to rain tomorrow but if you get a chance to ride today do it

mtbr member
    Rode again this morning, conditions not much worse than they were Sunday. "Sector Z" (and for that matter everything on north side of Knight Rd) was a little soft but I would bet its already firmed up. Usual wet spots on blue and orange but no real mud to speak of.

The tree that was down near the hill rd crossing on blue is cleared (thanks!). Still one down on upper blue, keep an eye out for it. Its in the middle of a straight section. I saw one tree knocked down by the most recent storm, just before you get to the twisty, rooty climb on honeysuckle (if you're riding counterclockwise).

mtbr member
    any idea if green lane is ridable?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    any idea if green lane is ridable?
    I am heading out tomorrow am, assuming the usual spots are wet but it should be rideable. I will keep you posted.

mtbr member
    I am heading out tomorrow am, assuming the usual spots are wet but it should be rideable. I will keep you posted.

Thanks. With all the rain, coming, it might be only for today.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I rode the Orange this am, definitely wet but rideable. The new section we cut handles the rain well right now. I plan to be out tomorrow am again.

mtbr member
    I rode the Orange this am, definitely wet but rideable. The new section we cut handles the rain well right now. I plan to be out tomorrow am again.

That is good to hear. The orange, like the blue, has lots of rocks and I wonder if that helps in the rain.

mtbr member
    It helps, but the bad spots on those two get really bad. If you stick to the "lower" blue trail that is typically a bit better after rain.

The worst spot on orange is if you go straight back from the snyder/deep creek parking lot, but its easy to avoid that section.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Any idea how the trails are?

mtbr member
    I'm planning to head up in the morning. Think they should be pretty good by this afternoon, finally getting some dry air. Could be a lot down from the storm Thursday, I'm packing my saw

mtbr member
    Rode most of the trails today, good shape except the usual spots on orange. I noticed one of the logs in that pile across knight rd that someone cut the back side out of last year had popped up like 2 feet above the others. Cut that out, there is not much left there. I'm hoping the branch that popped up is the one that made that whole thing kinda unstable and what little is left will turn out to at least be not unpleasant to ride.

There is one rotten tree that was too big for my saw down in the middle of the first climb up into the "upper" blue trail (if you're coming from ward rd lot). Its borderline makeable but considering where it is a cut would be a merciful act

Theres a couple trees down on orange behind the parking lot. Look fresh. Who is authorized to use chainsaws in the park? I was thinking it would be great to cut these into 18-24" lengths and build a way through some of the usual wet spots on the orange trail. They are really close to most of the chronic wetness so we wouldn't have to move anything too far. The location shows up on the map here https://www.strava.com/activities/344665923 (I broke off the high limb, so now its pretty easy to walk over)

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    There is one rotten tree that was too big for my saw down in the middle of the first climb up into the "upper" blue trail (if you're coming from ward rd lot). Its borderline makeable but considering where it is a cut would be a merciful act
    I rode there on Sunday and the trails were in great shape. Better than I have ridden them in a while. But definitely leave that log across the climb into upper blue. It makes that climb so much more interesting (no mercy AlexCuse). Just be careful of the water crossing before it as there is a HUGE rock right in the middle of the line through.

mtbr member
    Been ducking under this one on upper blue for months. Thought it was too big for my saw but today I was mad enough at it to find out

Green Lane trail conditions-uploadfromtaptalk1438447463434.jpg

All good, usual wet spots on orange

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    My brother and I rode almost every trail in GLP Sunday. It is dry, dry, dry. Still a couple wet spots hanging out on Orange though. It's been so dry and great for riding this year but I think we need a maintenance day. The trails are really overgrown. I've been down with a sprained ankle the past month but think I can get back out and hike around now.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Any spots that are particularly overgrown? I'm planning to ride a few laps on Sunday if it doesn't rain a ton, I could carry some kind of cutting implement for at least one of them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    90% of red and dogwood is overgrown, honeysuckle entrance, guerilla cross area, and lower blue is nearly unrideable.

Every time we've ridden there in the past month or two I wind up bleeding and I didn't even crash. IMO, that's overgrown, and everything that hangs in the trails at GLP IS covered in thorns which makes it that much more fun.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast