Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thumbs Up!
    Yesterday was bone dry!
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Ro View Post
    Yesterday was bone dry!
    Well, for the most part. The little area up across the street from the knights road parking lot (the lot before the bridge) was dry in some areas and crappy in others. Lots of trees down - every 10 feet which made it rough. The red trail, aside from that was in great shape. Just road around there and did not hit the blue trail.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Well, for the most part. The little area up across the street from the knights road parking lot (the lot before the bridge) was dry in some areas and crappy in others. Lots of trees down - every 10 feet which made it rough. The red trail, aside from that was in great shape. Just road around there and did not hit the blue trail.
    That spot is always an issue. Don't even much worry about it anymore. I am very interested in where these down trees are. I thought we had all of those resolved, and Btownrider hit it Saturday, and didn't mention anything when we rode elsewhere sunday. I know the blue has a few down, but red is news to me, can you give locations?
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ferguson65 View Post
    That spot is always an issue. Don't even much worry about it anymore. I am very interested in where these down trees are. I thought we had all of those resolved, and Btownrider hit it Saturday, and didn't mention anything when we rode elsewhere sunday. I know the blue has a few down, but red is news to me, can you give locations?
    If you turn down Knights road from Rt. 29, park in the second parking lot on the left. It is the lot before the bridge crossing. Right across Knights road is a trail going up the hill. Go up that hill and enter the trails up there. If you take the long loop around that area (going clockwise) you will go right at the top of the hill, and climb a bit before going down again. If you eventually turn back to the left to go along the water, you will hit the trees. They are down every 10-15 feet. Make sense?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    If you turn down Knights road from Rt. 29, park in the second parking lot on the left. It is the lot before the bridge crossing. Right across Knights road is a trail going up the hill. Go up that hill and enter the trails up there. If you take the long loop around that area (going clockwise) you will go right at the top of the hill, and climb a bit before going down again. If you eventually turn back to the left to go along the water, you will hit the trees. They are down every 10-15 feet. Make sense?
    It does. I have never been back there though. We went up on top, but never found those trails along the water, though I did know they exist. Were these trees huge? Guess I need to do some more exploring.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

mtbr member
    It does. I have never been back there though. We went up on top, but never found those trails along the water, though I did know they exist. Were these trees huge? Guess I need to do some more exploring.
    Those trails are not the most exciting but there are some nice spots to add a mile or so to the ride. The trees are large - at least 10-12 are down. At an almost even spacing. Very odd actually.

Go up that hill and turn left. Keep following the trail and you will start hitting the trees.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm hoping the rain turns out to be minor..........................Most of my riding buddies will be out of town this weekend, and I need to drive to Charlotte, NC Sunday. Looking to ride GLP before I hit the road. Anyone interested in an early(ish) Sunday full loop ride? Rob and Dan, I'll text you. Anybody else?
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Green Lane trail conditions

Plan on riding blue in Green Lane this week. Pre- Sandy I would park at the lot right after the bridge head to the trails. Once I went over the little rocky river section I would bang a left and a right up a rocky climb and follow the upper Blue until I hit a dirt road at which point I would turn right go past a gate up a paved road and hit a left trail head to continue on. Post Sandy that "left" trail head became un-rideable due to down trees. Is the trail still there? Abandoned? Just curious as I prepare to ride there this week.
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Molasses View Post
    Plan on riding blue in Green Lane this week. Pre- Sandy I would park at the lot right after the bridge head to the trails. Once I went over the little rocky river section I would bang a left and a right up a rocky climb and follow the upper Blue until I hit a dirt road at which point I would turn right go past a gate up a paved road and hit a left trail head to continue on. Post Sandy that "left" trail head became un-rideable due to down trees. Is the trail still there? Abandoned? Just curious as I prepare to ride there this week.
    I believe it is still there, but don't know if it's been cleared any. I only looked for it once, and didn't find it. Staying on the lower blue is mostly good, there is one new tree down, but that's it, the rest is clear. Btownrider and I did the full loop this morning and the trails are in great shape, other than covered on the usual horse crap. But this weeks weather forecast looks bad. I'm out of town all week, but am going to make an attempt to take my "tree in the way" cure for a walk next weekend.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

When you say complete loop do you mean blue to red? That might be cool just need to dig out the maps to see how it could be done. I used to loop upper blue to lower blue. I love this park.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Molasses View Post
    When you say complete loop do you mean blue to red? That might be cool just need to dig out the maps to see how it could be done. I used to loop upper blue to lower blue. I love this park.
    Yes, blue to red, or as we usually go red to blue. We usually start at the tennis courts off Green Lane Road, ride the Perk trail up the hill by the dam, follow the Perk trail to the red behind the old nature center/ trailer park. Follow the red along the water, cross Knight Rd, do the cedars, cross again onto honeysuckle/ red, follow that along the water to the bridge. Cross the bridge and ride the blue back to hill road. From there you can go out the blue thorough the equestrian camp and down the hill back to the car, or ride out the Hill road access driveway, cross Hill road and bomb down the gasline back to the perk trail and parking lot. The trail on the gasline has gotten washed out pretty bad and has lots of decent sized loose rocks to watch out for now though. That loop will get you around 12 miles. If you cross Knight road before the bridge, go up the hill to Dogwood you can get close to 15 out of it.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

If anyone is able to update conditions Friday afternoon/evening it would be awesome. I'm going to be traveling down to the area this Saturday and plan to either ride Green Lane or just ride the Perk with my kids (which will require different bikes.) But it'll be completely contingent on what the iffy weather does the next three days. I'm 2 hours away so a little hard to judge.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

My plans to ride are off as it is pretty wet but will post tomorrow if conditions change

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I was hoping to go today after work. Too wet?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Is it even worth thinking about for sat the 14th? This weather is killing me. I only have time ride on weekends and the past weeks have been... soggy. Haven't been able to get to Nox either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Rode all of red this afternoon prior to the flash flooding. Red Trails WERE good but I imagine they are pretty rough after that amount of rain. Don't even try blue. The first water crossing was at least knee high and flowing. May take the entire weekend for it to dry out and be able to cross the waters. I picked a shitty week to be off work!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Thanks for the heads up. I'll just make it a gravel loop today on the CX bike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Btownrider and I took a couple of walks into the trails today with the downed tree remover.......................... The new one after the ravine on the blue that totally blocked the trail is gone. We also removed a few others on the upper blue and a couple other spots. Everything we walked was in good shape and dry enough to ride. The water flow at the ravines is higher than normal but the ones we looked at are manageable. We are going to go for it tomorrow, just use caution as there may be some localized wet spots.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Red was pretty well drained today but the stream crossing was on the deeper side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Btownrider and I took a couple of walks into the trails today with the downed tree remover.......................... The new one after the ravine on the blue that totally blocked the trail is gone. We also removed a few others on the upper blue and a couple other spots. Everything we walked was in good shape and dry enough to ride. The water flow at the ravines is higher than normal but the ones we looked at are manageable. We are going to go for it tomorrow, just use caution as there may be some localized wet spots.
    Dude thank you for moving that massive flow killer at the ravine, that is one of the most diff sections to clear when there isn't a 50' Oak laying right down middle of it. Much love.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chestercospinner View Post
    Dude thank you for moving that massive flow killer at the ravine, that is one of the most diff sections to clear when there isn't a 50' Oak laying right down middle of it. Much love.
    No problem. It had to be done and the park has proven time and time again they won't, or just take too long to do it. Cleared the tree easy Saturday, failed to clear it on the bike Sunday. Dammit. Next time.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

mtbr member
    Anybody know if GL is dry enough to ride? I know parts of the area got some bad storms but it seems to vary from location to location.

mtbr member
    I'm maybe 8 miles south as the crow flies and didn't get a ton of rain yesterday. I'd expect the red trail at least to be in decent shape by tomorrow afternoon at the latest. I'm planning to ride there Sunday so if anyone finds out otherwise in the meantime I'd love to know
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Green Lane was super dry today. Horse traffic was also high today. Unfortunately Friday night's storms brought down more trees. There's quite a few down on the blue, not too far in from Ward rd. There may have been a few smaller ones throughout, but blue was the worst.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Rode all of blue forwards and backwards. Same trees down between ward road and first ravine crossing. New double tree down between first and second crossing. Top tree needs to go. Love to see the bottom one stay to make a nice log over.
    Also, HOLY HORSE ****! Watch out for the road apples and be prepared to smell like it after the ride!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast