Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ferguson65 View Post
    . There is a leaner up there that needs addressed, the tree can stay as it leans away from the trail, but it's got a nasty root sticking up that Btownrider clipped his foot on hard. It pokes out into the trail just enough. It should be able to be handled with a large pair of loppers or a bow saw.
    I went out by myself today since I'm still not 100%, but I just wanted to ride. The above issue has been addressed! Props to whoever took care of it.

Quote Originally Posted by TEAMGLP View Post
    Was out after work today for a quick and unfortunately had to clear off the section trail that my brother cleared last week. I double checked my route on the gps and we are clearly on the park land so I am not sure what the issue is.
    This has not been addressed. I rode up there to check it and it was blocked at both ends. Seemed more half assed than what you had described prior, but still blocked off. I cleared it again and rode the trail. Are you positive it's not the park? Someone has clearly been up there, and a few other places I saw pushing brush back with a tractor.

Also noted there is another trail that comes from the direction of route 29 that goes straight into it. Some log overs and other fun stuff, it's partially ridden in, but more riding would make it great.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Rode up there Friday and it was open, however passed a guy in a silver Tacoma with bow hunting stickers that seemed to give me a look on knight road. It's possible that he went up and did it after we went through Friday. We road Saturday and saw the guy in the skid steer pushing brush back, I did not talk to him but I let the park know he was up there. He didn't look like a park employee to me. There are some stakes on wide sections between the cedars, wondering if the equestrians aren't doing something up there. I will find out this week and keep you posted. Thanks for clearing that section again. Keep me posted when you are feeling better and we will get out!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I did see a father and son back there that were in the woods above the trail when I initially came in from 29. After I cleared the one end and rode back that new trail I found, they were on the (normal) trail near the ravine. Even with my obnoxious Hope freewheel behind them, they did not turn around, look at me or make any attempt to share the trail, I called out on your left and they split sides of the trail and the dad gave me a dirty look. I was looking for them when I cleared the far end of the trail but didn't see where they went. I should have rode back up there, but I was feeling kind of beat and didn't want to push it anymore.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I am confused, that section is clearly on park land and if I was hunting up there I would not want to draw attention to myself. That's 3 times in the past 2 weeks that we have had to clear it. On another note the trails are in great shape. Any thoughts on going through the red and blue in a couple weeks with leaf blowers and clearing them out?

mtbr member
    What section are you guys talking about? I'm riding GLP tonight and would prefer to avoid any confrontation with anti-bike creepers when its dark out.

Also, riding from Snyder/Deep Creek lot at 6 if anyone is interested.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    What section are you guys talking about? I'm riding GLP tonight and would prefer to avoid any confrontation with anti-bike creepers when its dark out.
    The section we are talking about is in the cedars north of Knight road, between Red Hill road and 29. When you start at 29 and ride into the cedars, you come out to a wider trail, where a slight left takes you down into a small ravine that is normally (except this year) full of mud. The trail we are having issues with you would make a right rather than the slight left, go about 100 feet, then left onto the trail. It runs along the hillside above the ravine to stay out of the mud, and then ends up on the other side of the ravine.

Clear as mud?

Even going the normal way through the ravine you are very close to the trail. And the property line for that matter, but I did look yesterday and the posted signs are a good bit into the woods beyond the trail. Strava also shows it as being on park property.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Pretty sure I know where you mean - would be nice to have a way around that ravine when its muddy that doesn't involve riding the perimeter of that field back toward walters rd (off park property).

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I confirmed today that we are on park property and that the park has no issues with us riding there. I was also told that they are not the ones blocking the trail. The MTB group is in good standing with the park and i hope we can continue to keep it that way. I will keep you posted if I hear more.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Any thoughts on going through the red and blue in a couple weeks with leaf blowers and clearing them out?
    It would be great but it's gonna take an army of leaf blowers! Lots of ground to cover. I was thinking about it stuck in traffic today, my old Trek has bosses welded on the frame for a rack. Wonder if I can still get one that would work..................lots easier than walking in with a leaf blower or saw..........
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    We have walked the entire section of the blue and red blowing already and you are correct not enjoyable. I have seen a few pics of people with the blowers facing out the rear as they ride. I assume you put it in granny gear and just take your time. Maybe we can pick a day and try to get a few groups to do a few sections, I think we are a few weeks away from all of the leaves being down.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I went out for a quick ride tonight just before dark, didn't have my light charged. The trail up in the cedars that has been a problem was not blocked. I rode it slowly however, and there is a treestand/ blind north of the trail, about 30-50 yards. Guessing that's who the dick is. I rode back that way and jumped 3 deer in the ravine. Guess that's why the stand is there. I yelled at the deer to not run toward the stand. It was just at dusk, and I did not see that blind Sunday so I'm assuming someone was in it.

*County tax maps show who the property owner is, and he has a 23 acre lot, not sure why he needs the stand there unless he's plucking deer off park property*

Now I wonder if this isn't the skidsteer guy too. Some of the pushed back stuff was right there--opening up shooting lanes?

Also rode the honeysuckle tonight, and noticed that someone moved a rock out of the way on the switchback. Come on guys. Leave the rocks where they lay. That's the challenge, that damn thing rolled me down the hill without the bike once, but I'm still pissed someone tossed it. After that it had been a conscious effort to pick a better line.

Team GLP, is the park doing the mowing or is that rogue activity too?
    Last edited by ferguson65; 10-28-2014 at 08:39 PM.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have been looking for a stand up there and haven't noticed one, wondering if the guy brings it in and out during the week? Pretty bold move to open up lanes in that area. As for the mowing the park is not mowing as far as I know, however at one point the equestrians were allowed to mow their jump areas. They had somone approved come in and do it but if can't remember the last time it was done.

I have not moved any rocks,not sure what rock it was. There is a group that does cycle cross on the cedar side but I doubt they would move it they are pretty hardcore.

On another note I am looking at a pre thanksgiving day GLP ride on the morning of thanksgiving, burn some calories before we put them back on! Any interest anyone?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have not moved any rocks,not sure what rock it was.
    I know it wasn't you. And I know someone who knows who did it. Next time I ride out there I will look for it and return it to it's place if I find it.

On another note I am looking at a pre thanksgiving day GLP ride on the morning of
    thanksgiving, burn some calories before we put them back on! Any interest anyone?
    I am interested. If I can convince the wife is another story..............Are you looking at a full loop or just a section?
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    That rock was fine till you fell on it and knocked it loose!!!
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

mtbr member

Re: Green Lane trail conditions

I know it wasn't you. And I know someone who knows who did it. Next time I ride out there I will look for it and return it to it's place if I find it.

I am interested. If I can convince the wife is another story..............Are you looking at a full loop or just a section?
    I was behind the mover - if memory serves it is just off trail to the right if you're heading up. I have no idea what rock it is though - just a loose one that rolled down the hill?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I wonder if this weekend is the big equestrian event? They may have been blocking certain trails. That would be unreal

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Equestrian event is tomorrow they were marking things off today. If you are planning on riding tomorrow I would stick to the blue or go somewhere else. I let them know it would be appreciated if someone from their organization came in and clean the crap off the trails when they were done, last year was brutal for the next few weeks.

mtbr member

Know if that event was rain or shine?

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if the horse event went on as scheduled Saturday?

I'm riding tomorrow night and one of the guys I'm going with has never been to GLP before. Not sure I should take him on red if its been made back into the ****-fest of old.

Oh, and I'm riding at 6 from the orange trail lot (snyder and deep creek) if anyone wants to meet up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The horse event was rescheduled for this Sunday so you should be good tonight.

I got out and finished cutting the rest of the orange loop today, everything was done with clippers and blower so it will need some dress up. For those of you that have ridden the first reroute, at the top where it comes out near the gas line continue straight across and it will wind through there all the way up to the top existing trail. Should add some mileage and be better then riding the gas line. If anyone gets out there try to ride it to start working it in and let me know what you think.

mtbr member
    Rode pretty much everything tonight, though we bailed at hill road and snuck back down to the parking lot. A few mud holes on orange behind the parking lot but nothing terrible. One or two down trees on hemlock. I think we managed to catch some of the orange reroute - soft and twisty, marked with orange ribbons? I think it has a ton of potential - will have to get a tour from someone during the daytime so I can remember it better - the way we turned onto it I was NOT expecting to come out where we did.

I managed to catch my tire in the divot where that rock used to be on the switchback and wipe out on my first time down - had to hike back up and try again

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    I managed to catch my tire in the divot where that rock used to be on the switchback and wipe out on my first time down - had to hike back up and try again
    It wasn't the divot, unless someone tossed the rock again. I found it Sunday and put it back. It's a bastard, and it makes the switchback much more challenging, as you and I now both found out while rolling down the hill....................

Where are the trees on Hemlock? How big are they? 12" saw or 20" saw?
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Probably about halfway through. I think a 12" would probably do it, but the break is about 10-15 feet up and the limb is just hanging straight down in the trail. Couldn't tell if the whole tree would have to go or not, that might take a 20. I really need to throw my saw back in my camelback, think it would have been enought to at least make it passable.

I still don't know what rock you mean - until recently I always shot for the inside of the switchback. I just started trying to go wide on my fatbike, and decided to try it on my singlespeed tonight. It was definitely a divot that I hit, and it looked like there was a rock there pretty recently. Just assumed it was the same place. I was riding with the guy who moved it last Monday, I made sure to blame him

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I was on my way down around 7 tonight to try out the new section and literally blew the tire off my rim in the middle of Becker rd. Sounded like a gun shot, of course first reaction hit the brakes... Rim is hammered. Took it home and debarred the entire thing put a tube on it and so far it is holding. Temporary fix until I order a new tubeless rim. Hoping to get out tomorrow if I can beat the rain.

mtbr member
    Ouch - I might have actually heard that when we were on the new section. Got distracted by a loud noise and looked back to make sure everyone was OK, ended up washing out in one of those soft corners. Glad you're OK, hope the bike heals up!

mtbr member
    PS not sure if I will be home for Thanksgiving but if I am I will definitely be up for a morning ride. GLP is one of the things I'm most thankful for these days after all

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I will be around for thanksgiving, are you looking for an early ride TEAMGLP? I could probably sneak away for a 7 or 8 start. I'm also thankful I've got GLP in my backyard. Hell I haven't rode anywhere else in the past month plus, time constraints have kept me at GLP. But today I given the weather I said screw work and a buddy and I are heading to Whiteclay!

Also when I was out Sunday we ran into a guy doing some trailwork in the section between Red Hill and Markley Roads. Adding some well needed berms. Didn't catch his name but he said he's been reclaiming old trails up there recently. There is one more that has a ton of berms in it that has lots of fallen trees. We talked about it, I may go clean it up. For those that haven't been in that section, be sure to check it out. Some fun sections.
    Last edited by ferguson65; 01-02-2015 at 02:59 PM.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Great sections up in there! There is a group of guys that cycle cross up in there and I have noticed the work they are doing and really appreciate it. I had a brief conversation recently about a planned trail network through the cedars that would add mileage and flow.

Thanks giving day ride full loop, early start, post ride seasonal beverages! Let's ride

mtbr member
    Pretty sure I'm in for thanksgiving - need to start early though. How early were you guys planning to ride?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I may be able to get out for a ride Friday, but I think I'm not going to make the Thanksgiving day ride. Have to be somewhere by 11:30. Guess it all depends how much snow is on the ground.....................
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Agreed, I would like to ride around 8 or so but it depends on the amount of snow. If it's starting out like this maybe I should have pulled the trigger on the the fat tire bike! Let's play it by ear with the weather.

mtbr member
    Orange trail lot?

mtbr member
    Figuring with this weather red trail side is gonna be most rideable - some of the blue climbs could get dicey. Gonna start from knight road at 8, try to ride everything up there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I am going to make a decision tomorrow am, if it freezes then it may be ok. However I was just out in my front yard and it is a sloppy mess. Hopefully it either gets cold and freezes up soon or warm and dries out. We rode last Saturday am when it was frozen and that was the fastest it has been in a long time, I forgot how much I like riding those cold mornings. Alexcuse if we head out I will try to meet you in that area.

mtbr member

Conditions on red side weren't too bad today. We finally found the "keep out of the mud" trail you guys talked about. Seems like the guy who was blocking it off still isn't happy

Green Lane trail conditions-uploadfromtaptalk1417105589484.jpg

Green Lane trail conditions-uploadfromtaptalk1417105614738.jpg

There was another shortly down the trail. I threw the glass down into the little concrete structure off trail, need to carry some kind of reinforced bag for **** like this I guess.

There was one tree down on red trail in the middle of the twisty, rooty climb. Think it would've been clearable with a folding saw, which I have to find and put back in my backpack.

Happy Thanksgiving!

mtbr member
    Someone needs to let the park rangers know about that!

Happy thanksgiving!
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

mtbr member
    Yeah blocking off the trail is one thing but this is just sick. It was on the back side of a small logover, could have really messed someone up if they came over it at speed. I'm glad I was going slow to find the trail otherwise I probably would have wrecked at least one tire. God forbid a runner or dog had come over it fast, or an inexperienced rider went OTB from the log.

mtbr member
    Someone posted this on facebook, said they found it Tuesday night along with attempts to block the trail like you guys have described in the past

Green Lane trail conditions-bottle3.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    That is ridiculous. Looks like its time to get a game camera set up to catch the prick. Rangers will be there less than us bikers are, and we haven't stumbled into the prick yet. The only downside is that animals don't try to steal cameras or SD cards, but a human will....................have to be in a locked bulletproof box.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I contacted the park and let them know. Ridiculous that someone would even consider doing something like that, who does that? Fairly certain it must be a hunter that works that upper corner, can't imagine someone hunting that close to park lines would want to draw attention to themselves but this guy must be pretty obnoxious. For the time being please be careful up in that area as a confrontation with this guy most likely won't be peaceful. Please keep me posted as to any other findings up there and I will keep the park in the loop.

mtbr member

Gonna ride from Ward rd lot tomorrow at 930 if anyone's interested

mtbr member

Conditions were great today. Maybe 2 wet spots on upper blue and 2 on orange. Then the usual spots on red. Red was wonderfully tacky and fast.

There is a tree down on hemlock right before that loose rock climb with the 90 degree turn in the middle.

And a path is starting to emerge over the tree that I'm sure everyone has seen near the top of the rooty climb on red in the honeysuckle area - keep left over the tree, and be ready to get back right

Rode the new orange stuff for the first time in daylight today too, that is gonna be really fun when it starts getting packed down better. I think I've ridden it all now but not sure.

Didn't hit the glass trail - anyone seen any more shenanigans back there?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    We did a full loop today and I noted a few things.

First and this really pisses me off. Someone cut down one of the two trees on the "bar check" segment in the cedars north of Knight road. Totally ruins the fun the trail used to be. This sh*t deserves someones fingers broken. Second the log pile we made up there a few months back was partially dismembered by someone with a saw, left some of it, but cut some away. WTF?

The rock on the switchbacks on Honeysuckle is gone again. The hole where it was is unrecognizable. So to the as*hole that did it the first time, and probably did it again, you win. I got a rack for my old bike.

Hemlock needs help. The one tree on the down that someone did a crappy clip job needs to go. The down one at the bottom needs to go too. Going to take a big saw.

We did not check out the Glass trail. Between cutting a sidewall on Hemlock, crashing on lower blue and landing in a ditch, I was run down and beat up
    Last edited by ferguson65; 01-02-2015 at 03:03 PM.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member

Oh yeah that clip job was horrible. Scared me so much I forgot about it haha.

Didn't realize someone had cut out the back of that log pile, thought it had just rattled apart. Shitty, trails could use more of that type of stuff IMO

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    We did a full loop today and I noted a few things.

My brother and I were talking about going in and reopening the one original ravine crossing on lower blue that Sandy dropped a tree in. It's a shitty walk in from either end with a 14# saw, but I just never have enjoyed the reroute.

If anyone is off this week and want to help get some of this work done, I'm game shoot me a PM. I'm off 'til the 2nd. I have the saws and experience, just nice to have someone else along in case I pinch the saw, and to help carry it. If we open the original ravine crossing on blue we'd need to take a leaf blower in too, it's really bad right there. I have that too.

We did not check out the Glass trail. Between cutting a sidewall on Hemlock, crashing on lower blue and landing in a ditch, I was run down and beat up
    I didn't see any glass on my ride today either.
    Last edited by m-wilhelm; 01-02-2015 at 03:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I believe we are talking about the same section. It is between Ward road and the access on Swinging Bridge road, on the lower blue. I think its the only ravine that hasn't been cut back open. If there are other spots that need attended to I'm up for that also. I wish I could have pinned the location, I'm not sure which way in would be a shorter walk.

I should be able to free up some time Friday. I know I can't do Saturday. Will keep you in the loop.
    Last edited by ferguson65; 01-02-2015 at 03:14 PM.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Ride GLP!
    Last edited by ferguson65; 01-02-2015 at 03:05 PM.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Anybody have any idea what shape the park is in? Ridable or muddy?
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Noted that Blue trail has 2 more ravines cleared to pre-Sandy status as of today. Trees are all clear for the original line, but you can still try the reroute line if you want to. Also the large tree on the downhill before this ravine was cut out as well.

On a side note, the upper blue is a mess of standing water, lower the usual spots are wet(ter) than normal. Give it a few days or a freeze.
    Last edited by ferguson65; 01-02-2015 at 03:08 PM.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Thanks.
    Last edited by Vespasianus; 01-03-2015 at 08:18 AM.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.