Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Yes, that will not be affected.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by trekcarbonboy View Post
    Friends of Green Lane meeting Wednesday 4-27, 6:30pm at pavilion near park office.

Reposting this in hopes bikers will show up! I'll be there with my brother and a buddy.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Saturday June 4th is National Trails Day. There will be a trail maintenance day at Green Lane that day, 8am till noon. Gather at the parking lot at Snyder and Deep Creek roads. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Tools will be provided.
    If you can work for 1 hour or 4 please come out. Volunteer hours will be logged and are very helpful to the park for gaining state grants which lead to more improvements.
    Park manager Rich Wood and I will be headed out this weekend to develop a plan.
    Please spread the word and come help out at the park you love to ride!
    Group ride afterwards perhaps.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Is the trail maintenance day for tomorrow still a go? Also does anyone know if there is a bike rack or something I could lock my bike to if in that parking lot? I will probably be riding over in the morning.
    Thanks,
    Ryan

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yes it is definitely on. There is no rack over there but you can lock it to my bike rack if you wish (red Ford Escape). Or just ride it out to the work site.

We will be installing several water bars, and draining the low areas. The park workers have already hauled a bunch of Belgium blocks for the water bars out to the spots we will be working on. Park manager Rich Wood will be meeting us out there at 8am to get things rolling.

See you then. Thanks
    Craig

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm in for 8. Not sure how long I will stay, been having some neck/ back issues. But I want to make my presence known an do what I can. Will being some tools in case needed. Driving a muddy green/gray Ford dually. Leaving the bike home, rode last weekend and only made it worse.

Scott
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Big thanks to Scott and Ryan for helping out on Saturday. I think the water bars and drainage turned out well. Time will tell.
    There is plenty more to be done and we will try to schedule 1 trail maintenance day a month on Sundays.
    Thanks again and ride on!

Name:  trailday1.jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  95.2 KB

Name:  trailday2.jpg
Views: 1148
Size:  94.8 KB

Name:  trailday3.jpg
Views: 1155
Size:  40.8 KB

mtbr member
    There's a pretty big tree down on the orange trail - go straight back from the lot and you'll find it. I probably could have cleared it with the saw I carry on the bike but was in a hurry this morning to get to work. Don't get speared
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Another trail maintenance day this Sunday July 24th. We'll be meeting at the parking lot by Snyder and Deep Creek Roads (orange trailhead). 7am till 11 to try to beat the heat. Thanks in advance to anyone who can attend.
    Craig

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Craig, I'm not going to be able to make this weekend. Hope you get a decent turnout, the weather is going to be rough. Have you ridden orange since we did the last work to see if it helped? Guess it may be tough to tell as dry as it's been.................
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    I've ridden orange a couple times since those water bars went in and they do seem to be helping. At least once was a day or two after significant rain

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yeah Scott we had that bad rain about a week after we put them in and Rich and I were out there watching the rain channel right off the trail. Now everything is dry anyway so we'll have to wait till fall to see any real difference.
    We are going to shoot for once a month to do a little maintenance. I'll let you know the next one. It'll be Aug 21 or 28 though.
    Craig

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I did some handsaw work on blue today, cleared the tree so the right line is clear. Cut a branch so you can ride over the tree for the middle line. Too hot and too big for my handsaw to finish the tree for the middle line. Does anyone use that middle line?

Green Lane trail conditions-20160727_134446.jpg

Green Lane trail conditions-20160727_134416.jpg

Lot's of areas are growing making the trail tight on red and blue, a group trail day would be nice to get these clear.

Also big tree down near the start of Hemlock by the school.

mtbr member
    The old orange trail is blocked off down to the perk - anyone know if this is a legitimate attempt to close the trail or not? Seems a bit off, I would expect the old trail to be blocked off up top as well if it was a legitimate closure. And probably to cover up the sign from the perk as well.

Saw two hikers back there who were upset they couldn't do their usual loop. Then I saw that it was only blocked by like 4 sticks, started wondering.

Those water bars on orange are REALLY helping, great work on that stuff!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I let Rich Wood know and he'll check it out.

Thanks for the feedback on the waterbars. We are planning another work party for Aug 28th.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    August 28th, 8 till 12, trail maintenance day. Meet at Orange trail head, Snyder and Deep Creek Rds.

The Mont Co. trails manager has ordered new tools just for us. I think that really shows that the county is very appreciative of our efforts.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can attend. And if you can't please help spread the word. Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Any maintenance plans for anywhere but Orange? At the risk of sounding selfish, I ride Orange about 1 in 50 times I ride GLP. There are other areas that need help too. I actually slid down the really sketchy part of the Honeysuckle entrance a few weeks back because it so overgrown and the edge just gave way. I know there's a bypass, but it's lame. Little trimming and a caution sign and let it be!

Not to mention that the used-to-be-established bench on the trail up to Dogwood has been nearly destroyed by the horse idiots running a big JD tractor up there. Why can't these idiots just ask for the key to the established maintenance road? Rather than wreck ****.

I've got a new baby so my trail work...................and ride time may be limited for a bit.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Congratulations Scott!
    Yes we will definitely be working on the other trails as well. Just have to start somewhere. Orange holds the most water so that's where we started.
    If we could get a lot of people out to help we could get more done. Hopefully we get a good turn out.

Red trail is our next stop for sure. Not sure where you mean on Honeysuckle though. Lets hook up for a reconnaissance ride sometime soon.

It's going to take a while to address all the needs of the trails. Not trying to make this like the Ride Nox group where they seem to work more than they ride. ;-) Once a month is all I can (want to) commit.

Craig

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'll be there on Sunday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Two new waterbars on the Orange Trail. Thanks to everyone who came out to help!

Green Lane trail conditions-20160828_094021.jpg
    Green Lane trail conditions-20160828_095432.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have started to make time in the early am to get some mtb rides in. Trails are in great shape and the mornings are perfect. The water bars on the orange are definitely an improvement and I am sure they will help eliminate some of those spots that are always wet. Great work by everyone that has been out to help, thanks for taking the time!

mtbr member
    I rode last Friday and it seemed like the trail blockage on orange was cleared. Sticks were still piled up over some rocks, not sure if the piler thought it was a safety thing or if some kind of animal is nesting in there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hiked the Orange Trail this morning. After all the rain there was no standing puddles and the ground was still pretty firm. I think the waterbars and drainage runoffs are working pretty well. Name:  thumbnail_IMG_7570.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  45.7 KBName:  thumbnail_IMG_7569.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  44.3 KBName:  thumbnail_IMG_7568.jpg
Size:  44.9 KBName:  thumbnail_IMG_7567.jpg
Size:  41.7 KBName:  thumbnail_IMG_7566.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  44.8 KB

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Got out for a quick loop with a new bike I picked up this weekend the water bars and drainage work has definitely helped. Not one spot of standing water on the entire trail. The new markers should help people follow the loop as well.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Trail Maintenance day Oct 30th at 8 am. I think we are working the Orange trail again but I am lobbying to get on the Red trail. Rich Wood has the final say on what we do.

Join The Friends of Green Lane Park Facebook page for more info.

Craig

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I will be out Sunday am to help out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Great! We will be on the Orange Trail. We are putting in more water bars.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'll be out, most likely riding the Blue from Ward Ln. if anyone wants to tag along for a early ride. Probably will need lights.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Trail Maintenance day this Sunday 11/27, 8 till 12. Meet at the middle parking lot on Knight rd, below the Dogwood trail. Tools provided.

Also Tuesday Night Lights, every Tuesday at 6:30. Meet at the Green Lane Univest.
    Fast tempo ride.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Trail Maintenance 11/27 is CANCELLED! For unknown reasons.

Next day will be Sunday 12/18.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    All hands on deck! We need anyone who is available on 12/18 from 8 till 12. We will FINALLY be working that nasty muddy corner of the Red trail where it drops out to Knight rd below the Dogwood trail. This will be a labor intensive project so we could use all the help we can get.
    Tools provided. Bring water/snacks.
    Park at the middle parking lot on Knight Rd just before the bridge.
    Thanks Craig

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Cancelled due to rain! :-(

mtbr member
    Red trail was nice and frozen this morning.

There's one down tree on the honeysuckle trail, just past the windy/rooty climb if you're riding east to west. There was another on the doubletrack if you go straight back into the woods from Knight Rd lot closest to 29. Both are clearable with hand saws, probably some folding ones but I didn't have mine today to give it a go.

Theres also a new section of trail taped off near the northeast corner of "sector Z" - tread needs to be worn in but the route looks promising. Thanks to whoever did that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I rode Honeysuckle last night around 8 and no trees where down. That beaver must have finished the job after we went by. Pretty cool.

What the heck is sector Z? I'm guessing the middle section on the north side of Knight rd. I didn't know about new trail there. Where's it at so I can give it a rip.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    What the heck is sector Z? I'm guessing the middle section on the north side of Knight rd. I didn't know about new trail there. Where's it at so I can give it a rip.
    I'm confused also? Please explain Alexcuse!
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    I rode Honeysuckle last night around 8 and no trees where down. That beaver must have finished the job after we went by. Pretty cool.

Yup middle section north of Knight. I also hear people call it the guerilla cross section, and that place I always get lost

If you cross Knight before the stream crossing, head in and turn right at the T, then cut one track in at that crazy junction and climb up to the northeast corner - you should see tape on the right from the wide doubletrack grass path up there. Its the northernmost track in that section if you look at this map: https://www.strava.com/activities/807883898. The tread is still very soft (made worse by frost heave) but I think if it gets worn in this winter it will turn out pretty nice. Crossed over some remnants of old trails back there from a few years ago - hopefully with it taped off there will be more traffic and it will get firmly established. Where it came out there are some interesting connection opportunities too, probably lets you do a loop in that section with minimal time spent on that horse-cobbled grass stuff. I just schlepped back up the grass path because I wanted to hit the downhill from the corner though.

The tree I saw down on honeysuckle didn't look like beaver work but someone else may have been through. It could have been something to just push out of the way, but I was in a rush before work and didn't try. Glad to know its clear already though!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Interesting. I've been talking to the park manager about making more trails back there and up by Dogwood. I'll give it a rip Tuesday night. Thanks

mtbr member
    Certainly lots of potential in both spots. There used to be a couple other trails up at the top of that section but I think they went onto private property so got shut down when they started whatever project has been underway up there. I've done a lot of wandering on deer paths in both areas in the wintertime, would be really nice if we could string together longer singletrack loops in both.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Trail Maintenance this Sunday 2-26 at 8am. Meet at the second parking lot on Knight rd.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Green Lane trail conditions

Can't make it Sunday, but this is going to be an issue soon:

Maybe .25mi into honeysuckle, traits are great right now but mr. beaver has big plans (pic taken yesterday)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I saw that the other day it is amazing how big the shavings are that they take off each time!

Is that a new rig?

mtbr member
    Anyone been out lately? I rode Perk Trail yesterday just to log some mileage on my new bike, hoping to get out on Red/Blue tomorrow after work. 66 deg and sunny sounds good to me. If it's sloppy I won't ride, but a little damp is fine with me (and the trails I think).

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Pretty muddy right now. Rain last night and this morning didn't help. I've been road riding myself to get in miles.
    If you do ride GL give us a trail report and we'll see you on the 30th for trail maintenance.
    Wissahickon is probably good for tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Will do. I rode Trex two weeks ago and ended up walking most of it because of mud, and even snow left in some spots. Stuck to the border trail where it was dry. I don't mind doing the same here if it turns out to be too muddy. I also don't mind hitting Perk Trail again if necessary. It's quite a good workout pushing a knobby tire on that soft gravel!

I've never ridden Wissahickon, but I don't think a weeknight ride will ever be possible unfortunately. That's a hell of a drive in traffic at about 5pm, about an hour from work, then an hour and 20 home after the ride. I drive past Green Lane on the way home from work.

That was my next question actually, when the next work day would be. I mentioned in the Nox thread that I wanted to be more active this year in maintenance days. I'm sending my shock to Push on the 24th, so I'll have some down time anyway, might as well operate a shovel or something!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I took the dogs out on Sunday evening. Most of the red trail was a muddy mess. Some areas looks like a horse pasture with the amount of slop and deep horse prints everywhere. I would think that if the red was in this condition the Blue will be mostly not rideable at this time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by humbleslc View Post
    I took the dogs out on Sunday evening. Most of the red trail was a muddy mess. Some areas looks like a horse pasture with the amount of slop and deep horse prints everywhere. I would think that if the red was in this condition the Blue will be mostly not rideable at this time.
    Good to know, thanks.. I think I'll just avoid it altogether for now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Orange is muddy right now, I have been hiking and biking some areas that I have wanted to explore. I do not recommend riding the orange trail itself at this point.

This is a great time to post reports so we can figure out what is going on out there, hopefully it will dry out soon.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Why would anyone think to even ride right now?

With all the moisture in the ground from this winter and multiple rounds of rain recently with more on the way Thursday, people just gotta give it up and wait for a real dry warm sunny spell (maybe next week?) to dry things out.

Riding now is just going to create water-trapping ruts in our soft red clay. I'm riding towpaths and railtrails right now to NOT be damaging stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayncedar View Post
    Why would anyone think to even ride right now?

With all the moisture in the ground from this winter and multiple rounds of rain recently with more on the way Thursday, people just gotta give it up and wait for a real dry warm sunny spell (maybe next week?) to dry things out.

Riding now is just going to create water-trapping ruts in our soft red clay. I'm riding towpaths and railtrails right now to NOT be damaging stuff.
    I like mountain biking, and that is an activity done in the woods on trails. That's why I'm thinking of riding right now.

I rode Mt Penn this past weekend and it was dry as a bone. No slop, no ruts, not a single puddle even down low in the valley areas and not just on the hills where it will drain well. It was like riding in July. If one place is that dry, there's a chance other places are as well.

This is the time of year that people start asking each other about trail conditions, and when it's safe to ride. It's why I posted in the Nox thread as well, I want to know how it's looking. Simply talking about wanting to ride doesn't mean people are just going out splashing in the mud. If I didn't know or care that muddy trails get damaged, I wouldn't have posted, I'd have just ridden like a douche.

I commented asking how the trails were at Green Lane because I'd like to know before I attempt to ride there, not because I don't understand the physics of how riding muddy trails damages them. You also seem to have missed this part:

Good to know, thanks.. I think I'll just avoid it altogether for now.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I was just gonna post about MT Penn, my buddy was there last week and it was dry, Also I heard that what is left at Trexler is pretty dry.

As for as GLP, when I was out walking the dogs this weekend on the Red Trail there was little signs of bikes out on the trail, but there was a ton of damage from the horses. But this seems to be the usual.

mtbr member
    Two weekends ago (3/26) Trexler was a total slop-fest, barely able to ride for more than a few seconds at a time before having to get off and walk because of snow (some sections at least 6" deep, some up to my knees) or really bad mud. From the parking lot you couldn't tell that it was anything other than completely dry.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by DC2.2GSR View Post
    I like mountain biking, and that is an activity done in the woods on trails. That's why I'm thinking of riding right now.

I rode Mt Penn this past weekend and it was dry as a bone. No slop, no ruts, not a single puddle even down low in the valley areas and not just on the hills where it will drain well. It was like riding in July. If one place is that dry, there's a chance other places are as well.

This is the time of year that people start asking each other about trail conditions, and when it's safe to ride. It's why I posted in the Nox thread as well, I want to know how it's looking. Simply talking about wanting to ride doesn't mean people are just going out splashing in the mud. If I didn't know or care that muddy trails get damaged, I wouldn't have posted, I'd have just ridden like a douche.

I commented asking how the trails were at Green Lane because I'd like to know before I attempt to ride there, not because I don't understand the physics of how riding muddy trails damages them. You also seem to have missed this part:
    As a regular yearround trailbuilder cleaning up mudholes caused by tire rut clogged drains and scraping off the tops of dried-out ruts, I didn't miss anything. I appreciate that people like you do ask first rather than just ride.

My confusion is how people could think flattish wet red-clay based Green Lane (especially east of the lake) or Nox could in any way be ridable during a wet spring (we got a inch of rain Monday night) because well-draining rocks piled on rocks MOUNT Penn is. If you're riding both places like Mt. Penn and Nox, I'd assume you're a veteran rider who's likely notice they handle winter/early spring moisture differently.

Mount Penn being dry probably means Sals and South Mountain Emmaus are right now too. Then you're comparing apples to apples regarding topography, geology, and hydrology.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Two weekends ago (3/26) Trexler was a total slop-fest, barely able to ride for more than a few seconds at a time before having to get off and walk because of snow (some sections at least 6" deep, some up to my knees) or really bad mud. From the parking lot you couldn't tell that it was anything other than completely dry.
    I know the guys building there trying to fix the place and improve it with new berms. They've been asking people to stay off of that until things really dry out which hopefully should be sooner than places like GLP or Nox. Their work is getting damaged and they have limited manpower.

The reality is Trex is further north, gets heavier winter precip than closer to Philly and some of those slopes and valleys collect snow that takes longer to melt.

mtbr member
    I don't really think about soil types when beginning to ride for the year, I just go out and ride when it's warm enough to not be in physical pain when standing outside in a t-shirt.

This is the first year I've actually decided to make it a point to get on the bike earlier than other years. I do custom/light collision automotive paint as side work, and I'm usually really busy in all my free time in the fall, winter, and spring. This year I've decided to cut back on the extra work, and to spend more time outside.

I ask about these trails because I just don't know. In the past I've showed up at Nox, GLP, Mt Penn, Trex, etc., ridden my bike, and gone home without much thought to trail conditions because I've never seen them in any condition other than dry or a little tacky or maybe even "greasy" as people say in some corners.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayncedar View Post
    I know the guys building there trying to fix the place and improve it with new berms. They've been asking people to stay off of that until things really dry out which hopefully should be sooner than places like GLP or Nox. Their work is getting damaged and they have limited manpower.

The reality is Trex is further north, gets heavier winter precip than closer to Philly and some of those slopes and valleys collect snow that takes longer to melt.
    This one was definitely kinda strange for me, as I've never seen Trex anything other than bone dry. It's that weird shale gravel that's dry again the same day if it rains in the morning. Even with how wet it was on a lot of the trails with snow and mud puddles, there was no measurable damage to anything, just some light tire tread prints in some of the lower areas where people rode through, no ruts. I certainly didn't see anything that needed fixing trail-wise.

There were some sections that were completely dry and fast, right up until a patch of snow. We'd hop off the bikes and walk around or through, and then it was dry again until it wasn't. We completely skipped most of the trail that was visibly covered in snow like Half Pipe, then rode some of the upper twisty parts, and then the border trail and broken arrow. 90% of broken arrow was fast and dry, but there's a big tree down across the trail. My buddy had a saw in his truck but by the time we made it that far we were out of the small amount of time we had for the day, didn't have a chance to go back down to take care of it.

mtbr member
    Rode Sal's Sunday. The section from the road back to the lot up top was a slop fest and a few trees down. The rest seemed fine but the top was really bad.
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    This one was definitely kinda strange for me, as I've never seen Trex anything other than bone dry. It's that weird shale gravel that's dry again the same day if it rains in the morning. Even with how wet it was on a lot of the trails with snow and mud puddles, there was no measurable damage to anything, just some light tire tread prints in some of the lower areas where people rode through, no ruts. I certainly didn't see anything that needed fixing trail-wise.

There were some sections that were completely dry and fast, right up until a patch of snow. We'd hop off the bikes and walk around or through, and then it was dry again until it wasn't. We completely skipped most of the trail that was visibly covered in snow like Half Pipe, then rode some of the upper twisty parts, and then the border trail and broken arrow. 90% of broken arrow was fast and dry, but there's a big tree down across the trail. My buddy had a saw in his truck but by the time we made it that far we were out of the small amount of time we had for the day, didn't have a chance to go back down to take care of it.
    I think the damage reference was specifically about new berm construction from late last fall and early winter. Most of it deals with a slimeness during cool weather rains and freeze-thaw.

I lived next to Trex for much of my life before moving a few years ago. You're absolutely right on that shale draining well in prime season when the suns cooks out the moisture but winter/early spring is a whole different animal which surprises people.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Ground surface material, aspect to sun/wind, time of day and leaves on the trees makes a pretty big difference when determining what will be rideable and what won't be. Case in point, I was at the Crossbow Trail work day this past Sunday and the trail was a bit soft and a little beyond tacky in the morning but as the day progressed the wind and sun combination dried things out so the trail became perfectly rideable.
    Bottom line is, we need to lean on locals for each trail, that know the trails and conditions and hope that they share that information. Its also imperative to get as much info as possible before leaving home to ride trails that riders are not familiar with. This forum is a great resource as are web sites for specific trail systems. Most have a face book link that will give relatively up to date reports. Its important to note that you don't need to be a face book user to see the condition updates.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I ride and work on the trails at trex a couple times a week. You can ride there about 30 mins after the rain stops pretty much year around. Now the destruction from cutting the autumn olive is a different story. That being said, i rode yesterday and its fine. Berms were good to go weeks ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patroller View Post
    I ride and work on the trails at trex a couple times a week. You can ride there about 30 mins after the rain stops pretty much year around. Now the destruction from cutting the autumn olive is a different story. That being said, i rode yesterday and its fine. Berms were good to go weeks ago.

That's what I would've originally thought too but as dirtrider76 and hiss2 pointed out in the Nox closure thread regarding Trex as an alternative and that the Trex guys at the VMB meeting stated last winter, winter riding during the thaw/rain cycles on the portions of the trail not machined down to pure shale was strongly discouraged.

mtbr member
    I actually attempted to ride there a few weeks ago and rolling into hp2 the top layer of trail just slid off. I live minutes from there and used to ride it several times a week till it got closed to night riding.

During freeze thaw that place turns to peanut butter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Went for a pretty decent ride through Green Lane today. For the most part the trails are dry.
    The Blue Trail has a few wet spots in the beginning but pretty much dry out until you hit the doubletrack before the boat docks. It then drys out until the very last downhill from the horse/camping lot. That section is a complete mess of bike ruts and has running water down the second half of it.
    The West Orange Trail from the perk trail to the parking lot had a few pockets of previously ridden mud, but it is crumbling under wheel. Will probably need to be raked out or ridden.
    The Perk Trail was dry as a bone.
    Honeysuckle was also super dry but had a few rough areas from riding in muddy weather.
    The Red Trail had water in its usual spots and was pretty trashed from riders and heavy horse traffic.
    The Cedars/Cut off trails were in great shape with exception to the usual wet spots in the Upper Cedars.
    Overall the trails are dry and it in decent shape after the winter.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Rode the red trail and its off-shoots today and it was surprisingly dry. A few typical wet spots from horse hooves but pretty good for this time of year. If Red is that good, no doubt the Blue trail is even better.

Sunday April 30th should be our next trail maintenance day.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I rode red and most of the Cedars last evening. Everything is in pretty good shape. Couple damp spots that's about all.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Trail maintenance tomorrow 4/30, 8-12. Meet at 2nd lot on Knight Rd. (below Dogwood)
    Tools provided.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I may actually be able to make that. I'm going to try and rearrange some stuff I should be able to make at least the first couple hours.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Nope, work killed that idea

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Trails are already getting overgrown with raspberry and blackberry thorns. Thinking about a trail work day on June 4th to cut back what we can. The county won't let us use weedwackers so it'll have to be machete's, pruners, and hedge clippers. If we can get a lot of people out we can cover more trail. Probably start with the Honeysuckle trail.
    I will be talking with the park manager in the mean time to see what we have to do to be allowed to use powertools in the park.

Check and like the "Green Lane Park Trail Care Crew" FB page for more info as it develops.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I will be talking with the park manager in the mean time to see what we have to do to be allowed to use powertools in the park
    Sadly, the only way to use them is just do it and don't get caught. I doubt they will agree to any use other than by their own people. Ranger presence is generally pretty scarce in the evenings. Not that I'm talking from experience or anything..................

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Actually I spoke with Pam Murray, the park manager, yesterday and she is all for it. She is going to see what she can do.

I asked because I'd rather use their equipment than tear up my own. Otherwise I prefer to live by the motto, "It's easier to get forgiveness than permission."

When you coming back out Scott? We need all the help we can get.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm trying. I haven't even had time to ride. Having a little monster around is really eating up my free time!
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ferguson65 View Post
    Having a kid won't change a thing.
    I have witnesses to this statement! Hahaha!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I'm all for a work day. Rode last night. Trails are closing in on us quickly.
    I penciled in June 4th. I'll spread the word in my riding group.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    That's great, Pa.Patroller.
    Just got a call from the park manager and she is working on making it so we can use weedwackers (eventually). It still currently stands at no, but she spoke with the county and the county solicitor (I guess they are in charge) may be willing to draw up a liability release form, allowing us to use our own equipment. Keep your fingers crossed. I'm sure it wont be done by the 4th though.
    Craig
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1762065910729513/

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Also just to let people know. We keep track of our volunteer hours and turn them in to the county. The park is able to get grant money, I think I heard $13 for every volunteer hour worked, and they have been purchasing trail tools for us to use. So not only are your volunteer efforts paying off in a better trail system but we gain more tools and build goodwill with the park management. Oh yeah..sweet shirts too!
    Green Lane trail conditions-trail-crew.jpg

So far it's been 90% MTBers 10% hikers and not surprisingly ZERO equestrians . And we all know who does the most damage! The park staff is well aware of who is helping out. So please join us for our work days!
    Craig

mtbr member
    Has anyone reported the large tree down in the middle of last ravine on upper blue trail (if you are riding from Ward to Hill). You cross the creek bed, make the 90 degree turn and there it is. Looked like it would require a chainsaw.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Just joined the forum today and found this thread. I recently started riding and have been to GLP probably about 4 times. Have ridden all of the Orange trial routes that have been open recently. I like the rocks a lot more than I thought I would. Honeysuckle trail is a blast, love being so close to the water and the scenery. Blue trail I've only ridden from knight rd to the boat dock. I'm hoping one weekend soon I'll be able to complete the entire blue trail. I will keep an eye out for the next trail maintenance so a friend and I can come join to help out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'll text that to Mike, the park foreman. They get on it pretty quick when they know. Thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Next trail maintenance is this Sunday 6/4 at 8am. Meet at the Knight rd horse lot. We are going to trim back the thorns along the Honeysuckle and the rest of the red trail area. Bring hedge clippers.
    Spread the word so we can knock out a good chunk of trail.
    Craig

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Looks like another trail day I will not be able to attend. I will be working the Bear Creek XC Challenge this Sunday.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Big tree down on Upper Red straight across from the Knight rd horse lot. Blind corner about 200 yds in from 29. It's been reported to the park, but heads up.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Good day out clearing the trails back. Really opened up the sight lines on Honeysuckle and the Upper Red. Even had more Equestrians than MTBr's how up. People I saw on my lunch ride on Thursday and guilted into showing!

There will be another group heading out this Saturday 6/10 from 8-12. Meet at horse lot on Knight Rd. Bring hedge clippers.
    Green Lane trail conditions-trail.jpgGreen Lane trail conditions-trail2.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I made my way over to Green Lane for the first time a couple of weeks ago and tried the orange trail twice. Wow, what a trail. I can't wait to get back there and try some of the others. I've only been to Nox otherwise and this trail was a real challenge. I haven't figured out how to get through the two big rock gardens in one shot yet, but hope to soon. The steep hill climb with the big roots going across it was a fun challenge too. By the time I would get close to the top and lose momentum crossing the roots was hard.
    Nice work building this trail!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Glad you liked it. Orange is definitely the more gnarly trail there. And the muddiest right now. Blue trail has some rocky sections but not as boulder strewn as Orange. And some tough creek crossing ravines but all are rideable. It's a beautiful ride as it mostly parallels the lake shore. The red trail and it's off-shoots are clay with some roots and not too challenging (like Nox). Total of 18 miles if you link it all together. Search the Strava segments to figure out where it all is.

Definitely way better than Nox! And it never closes, but use your best judgement.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Big tree down on Upper Red straight across from the Knight rd horse lot. Blind corner about 200 yds in from 29. It's been reported to the park, but heads up.
    This tree is still currently down. There were also a few more down I noticed yesterday. There was a large tree down 2 miles in from Ward Rd./Knight Rd. lot on the Blue, there was also a big tree down on the climb up blue from the Boat Ramp, the tree is blocking both the cutout to the parking lot and the trail.

Over all the trails are in great shape, also noticed the addition of a bridge in the beginning of the Orange trail. It was Built by Chris _____ of Troop ______. I forget the exact details.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    just rode there for first time too. was actually pleasantly surprised. thought it would be like nox with more climbing and actually is alot more. I ride 90% in the wiss and although not as challenging as some of the trails there it was actually alot of fun. parked on the southside and went around counter clockwise. got alittle turned around at the start and started heading up the blue trail clockwise then realized it so turned around. red is a good warm up with some fun stuff. very scenic with trails up against the water. blue was very cool and orange was awesome. you guys built a very cool hidden gem there. great job!!! can't wait to get back there.
    santa cruz hightower
    yeti asrc
    niner rlt

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    i can't believe i've lived in the area for 5 years now and am just now learning of these trails. half hour from me, gonna have to hit them up ASAP.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Trail Maintenance this Sunday 6/25. Meet at the Knight rd Horse lot. We are going to take care of some muddy spots on the Upper Red and Honeysuckle Trails. If we finish that quickly I've got a little something I've been rattling around the old skull. Tools provided but a couple clippers would be helpful.

If we get a ton of rain from this storm, it'll be too shitty to ride, so come out and help.

Thanks Craig

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I went for the first time last week. Made it about 1 mile on the blue trail before I blew out BOTH tires on a jagged little f'er rock sticking out of the dirt. Nice slices right in the middle of both tire treads. Orange seal didn't stand a chance. Only had 1 tube so it was a long walk back wondering if I was going to find cracks in my rims. Luckily the light bikes rims came through again with no damage. I've never destroyed two tires at the exact same moment in 27 years of riding. I need to remember to slow the hell down when I'm in an unfamilar place. I'll be back soon to conquer!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    I went for the first time last week. Made it about 1 mile on the blue trail before I blew out BOTH tires on a jagged little f'er rock sticking out of the dirt. Nice slices right in the middle of both tire treads. Orange seal didn't stand a chance. Only had 1 tube so it was a long walk back wondering if I was going to find cracks in my rims. Luckily the light bikes rims came through again with no damage. I've never destroyed two tires at the exact same moment in 27 years of riding. I need to remember to slow the hell down when I'm in an unfamilar place. I'll be back soon to conquer!
    That happened to me twice when ridding in High Rocks. I learned to never go there without burly tires. Was that your first time in Green Lane? The blue and orange trails are very fun.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    with all the rain today, any idea when it will be dry enough to ride?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Trees down

3 big trees down. I messaged the park manager and foreman. Should be good within the week.

Green Lane trail conditions-treesdown.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I somewhat expected more down after that crazy storm Friday night.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

August Trail Maintenance, 8/27/17

Join us for trail maintenance this coming Sunday at 8am. Meet at the 2nd lot on Knight rd, just south of the long bridge. It has been a very wet summer which has revealed some spots that still need attention. It also showed that a lot of the work we have done is really paying off! Tools provided.

Official park stance on weed whacking is NO! But if someone where to bring their weed whacker and go for a walk on the Honeysuckle trail or Upper Red while no one is looking....who's to say it ever happened?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Official park stance on weed whacking is NO! But if someone where to bring their weed whacker and go for a walk on the Honeysuckle trail or Upper Red while no one is looking....who's to say it ever happened?
    Lol. Been there done that. Or should I say seen the result of someone doing it...........

I'm hoping to ride Sunday am for the first time in months!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Solid Work

Very productive day today even with only 4 people. (+2 trail trimming at another spot) Trench completed on the Red trail, tree removed, and a new Honeysuckle entrance trail created. Access the Honeysuckle trail from the gravel trail right by the crosswalk. We still have to work out the ditch though.
    Just imagine what we could accomplish if 10 or more people showed up! NEXT TRAIL DAY SEPTEMBER 24TH!!! I think you'll like what we have planned.

Green Lane trail conditions-827a.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    It's been too long, I need to come out to another Trail Work Day. As of now it looks like the 24 may be a go.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Trail Maintenance Sept 24th...HELP

Sept 24th, 8am, meet at the Ward Rd parking lot.
    We're going to cut in a new singletrack along the Blue trail. It is going to parallel the water from Ward rd to the first creek crossing. It's already kind of started by the fisherman but needs a lot of work to get bikes through. It will be an option to bypass the doubletrack gravel behind the houses.
    Bring large pruners.

Green Lane trail conditions-bluetrail.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yeah I know it's going to be freaking beautiful on Sunday! I'd rather go riding too! But please come out and give a hand. Go for a ride after and be one of the first to ride this new trail. More help = faster progress! Thanks!

mtbr member
    i just rode from knight/ward lot tonight and didn't notice anything different. But also didn't know to look for anything different. Good work guys. One of these days I'll be able to get out and help! Born and raised in the area and live 10 minutes away. Primarily ride at French creek but hit green lane when I'm crunched for time. Thank all of you for your hard work! We truely are spoiled for having so many great places to ride within a reasonable distance.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast