Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Btownrider View Post
    Walked blue starting at ward road through to about the 4th ravine crossing. Took upper blue (which was a wet disaster as usual) to the lower blue and back to ward road. Lower blue was in excellent condition once you got past a few wet spots before the water crossing at swinging bridge. A tree that was laying across trail also disappeared. It was the bow saw bandit!
    Has the park handled the trees that TEAMGLP said were down between ward rd and the 1st ravine?

The bow saw bandit sure is one ambitious guy!
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ferguson65 View Post
    Has the park handled the trees that TEAMGLP said were down between ward rd and the 1st ravine?

The bow saw bandit sure is one ambitious guy!
    I handled one tree but the 6 trees toppled over on each other was a bit too much for me. I did cut down part of a mess just so that a guy on a bike would fit under it. Maybe people on horses can't get through....ooooops!!

I was only ambitious cause the rest of the family went with. I got lucky this time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I handled one tree but the 6 trees toppled over on each other was a bit too much for me. I did cut down part of a mess just so that a guy on a bike would fit under it. .
    Are these trees substantial in size? I'll see if I can't get something to happen, but I'd rather see the person going in to handle it only take the minimum required equipment. He said hiking with a 14 pound saw sucks.........................
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Are these trees substantial in size? I'll see if I can't get something to happen, but I'd rather see the person going in to handle it only take the minimum required equipment. He said hiking with a 14 pound saw sucks.........................
    Well it's only about a football fields distance in. As long as the guy can be sneaky, it shouldn't be too bad. If he needs an accomplice the bow saw bandit may be able to arrange something.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Looks like we are in for 3 days of rain this weekend and since we can't ride maybe we can knockout some more trail work. I am looking at getting a crew together to work on the section of blue that was opened up last year. The section that goes from Hill rd. to the equestrian camp was opened up but we have never cleaned it up so I would like to get it done before everything grows in. Post here or PM me and let me know if your interested I am thinking maybe the afternoon but that could change.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TEAMGLP View Post
    Looks like we are in for 3 days of rain this weekend and since we can't ride maybe we can knockout some more trail work. I am looking at getting a crew together to work on the section of blue that was opened up last year. The section that goes from Hill rd. to the equestrian camp was opened up but we have never cleaned it up so I would like to get it done before everything grows in. Post here or PM me and let me know if your interested I am thinking maybe the afternoon but that could change.
    I may have some time................Let me know when you want to go at it. Just try to make it a bit more than an hour in advance...................................Need to get some framing done in the master bath so drywall can go in next week. A project I can't wait to be done with. But I'm crossing my fingers the forecasters are wrong and it'll be 60 and sunny and we can continue to ride..............................
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I'm crossing my fingers the forecasters are wrong and it'll be 60 and sunny and we can continue to ride..............................
    Ill drink to that!!! I am also available til noon on Saturday and all day Sunday. Remember gents I'm on stay-cation all week next week so lets ride!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    So I walked the blue trail from Ward Rd in to the first ravine tonight. It's pretty sloppy still, but all the trees have been cleared. Someone beat me to it. When i got there, a ranger was in the lot, so I left the tree remover in the car. Happily, it wasn't necessary. Thanks to whoever got it done!
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Anyone able to comment on conditions, getting close to ride-able? thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    After last nights rain it is going to wet for a few days but I think most of the loop will be rideable this weekend. Warm weather and winds like today get the red trail dry quickly, some sections on the blue side may need more time. As always use common sense and avoid the wet areas when possible. Won't be long until we can get some full loop rides in, all trails are clear to my knowledge except for the Hill rd. to equestrian camp blue section that was opened last year. We did a quick scan of that area and it looks pretty bad, lots of big trees down.

mtbr member
    After last nights rain it is going to wet for a few days but I think most of the loop will be rideable this weekend. Warm weather and winds like today get the red trail dry quickly, some sections on the blue side may need more time. As always use common sense and avoid the wet areas when possible. Won't be long until we can get some full loop rides in, all trails are clear to my knowledge except for the Hill rd. to equestrian camp blue section that was opened last year. We did a quick scan of that area and it looks pretty bad, lots of big trees down.
    Wow, that would be amazing. I generally don't even think about hitting green lane unless we are in a drought. But it sounds like things have improved enough to make it ridable under normal type weather situations.
    On MTBR, the reputation is infamous.

mtbr member
    For the last couple years it has been pretty OK on the red side outside the odd time it gets completely wrecked by horses. Blue really started to get better when Dan got involved with the park after Sandy. The entrance by Ward rd is homogenized and boring now, but at least it is rideable outside drought conditions

I rode past on the Knight road Sunday and saw a guy loading up his bike at the lot across from the climb up to dogwood. Actually looked pretty clean, despite the giant mud pit on red approaching that lot. Things seem to be recovering from the winter faster than I'd expected. Can't wait to get back up there.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    That section by the lot at markley road lot is a mess, we have been bypassing that cedar run because of that area by the lot. For those of you that head up to the dogwood look around last fall we added a section that allows you to make some loops around, it is by no means perfect but the more it gets ridden the better it will be.

The blue is tough to judge by the weather, there may still be pockets of snow in there with the way the shoreline dips in and out. I agree w alexcuse the first part of the blue lost some character but it is nice to be able to get in there without getting muddy. Drainage has been one of our biggest priorities, simple diversions at key locations has helped eliminate the big wet spots. We are looking to ride this weekend if it doesn't rain, I need to start logging some miles or my bike won't hold me anymore!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I've been riding full loop clockwise and counter clockwise already. Only spot that is a concern on blue is the sanitized ward rd to the first water crossing. It's just not draining well at all. Rest of the trail is fantastic. Let me know when you're riding this weekend. I'm in!!

mtbr member
    I've been riding full loop clockwise and counter clockwise already. Only spot that is a concern on blue is the sanitized ward rd to the first water crossing. It's just not draining well at all. Rest of the trail is fantastic. Let me know when you're riding this weekend. I'm in!!
    Are you saying that Green lane is ridable, now? I usually start on the Knights road parking lot (the last one before the bridge) and go over to the blue (off of hill road) and ride around to the bridge area near Knights road. You think that is ridable?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Use your best judgement if its a messy disaster, but I will be riding.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Best idea is to give it a few days after a normal rain. We had a wet winter so I urge everyone to be patient until we get a week of dry weather. No doubt there are sections that are rideable but I am sure others are a mud pit. No sense tracking it up now or they will compare us to the equestrians. On a side note bear creek has a tendency to dry faster then anywhere around in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    On a side note bear creek has a tendency to dry faster then anywhere around in my opinion.
    So what time are we riding BC Saturday?

mtbr member
    Rode pretty much the entire park today. Trails were in great shape except one stretch on the upper blue trail, maybe 10 spots on orange and the usual 2 spots on dogwood (the approach to the lot across the street also). Red trail was especially nice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hit GLP for a short ride tonight before the rain came through. The trails I rode were in great shape and fast. Went out with a mission to do some pruning on Honeysuckle, there was one point where the trail drops down toward the water fast then makes a sweeping turn back up the hill, but the inside of the turn has tons of rose hanging in the trail making leaning the bike almost impossible without bloodshed. That's all fixed now! The thunder started to crack as I finished pruning, and I bombed back to the truck. I had a fun, fast ride, first time hitting GLP since ditching the front derailleur and going to a 30T narrow wide. Rode the cedars before I went to honeysuckle and the conditions up there were great also. Glad to see the log over up in the cedars has been left alone, and seems to be getting more stable. That tree killed the flow and we couldn't move it, so we made it rideable.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Green Lane trail conditions

Rode the blue and red trails for the first time yesterday as a bonus in the middle of my perkiomen there-and-back from betzwood. The blue was a bit more challenging than I expected. I didn't have the stones or energy to charge the stream crossings, and there were a couple trees down, but overall really cool trails.

If you are on here, thanks to the trio that gave me directions!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I know there is one big tree down on the blue, that is in a bad place to get to. I don't really remember where it was, other than right out of either the 3rd or 4th ravine from Ward Rd, I'd almost have to ride in to figure out where it is again and what the best route would be to get to it with 14# of tree remover. I think walking on off swinging bridge rd would be best but not sure if I'd get heckled for parking there..............

If someone is out there and could record the coordinates of the tree that would help get it removed.............................
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Anybody know if green lane is ridable?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus View Post
    Anybody know if green lane is ridable?
    It's better than ever. Place drains a lot better than you think.

mtbr member
    It's better than ever. Place drains a lot better than you think.
    Cool! For a little variety, I think I will hit Green Lane today before more rains come.

Thumbs Up!
    Yesterday was bone dry!
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Ro View Post
    Yesterday was bone dry!
    Well, for the most part. The little area up across the street from the knights road parking lot (the lot before the bridge) was dry in some areas and crappy in others. Lots of trees down - every 10 feet which made it rough. The red trail, aside from that was in great shape. Just road around there and did not hit the blue trail.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Well, for the most part. The little area up across the street from the knights road parking lot (the lot before the bridge) was dry in some areas and crappy in others. Lots of trees down - every 10 feet which made it rough. The red trail, aside from that was in great shape. Just road around there and did not hit the blue trail.
    That spot is always an issue. Don't even much worry about it anymore. I am very interested in where these down trees are. I thought we had all of those resolved, and Btownrider hit it Saturday, and didn't mention anything when we rode elsewhere sunday. I know the blue has a few down, but red is news to me, can you give locations?
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    That spot is always an issue. Don't even much worry about it anymore. I am very interested in where these down trees are. I thought we had all of those resolved, and Btownrider hit it Saturday, and didn't mention anything when we rode elsewhere sunday. I know the blue has a few down, but red is news to me, can you give locations?
    If you turn down Knights road from Rt. 29, park in the second parking lot on the left. It is the lot before the bridge crossing. Right across Knights road is a trail going up the hill. Go up that hill and enter the trails up there. If you take the long loop around that area (going clockwise) you will go right at the top of the hill, and climb a bit before going down again. If you eventually turn back to the left to go along the water, you will hit the trees. They are down every 10-15 feet. Make sense?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    If you turn down Knights road from Rt. 29, park in the second parking lot on the left. It is the lot before the bridge crossing. Right across Knights road is a trail going up the hill. Go up that hill and enter the trails up there. If you take the long loop around that area (going clockwise) you will go right at the top of the hill, and climb a bit before going down again. If you eventually turn back to the left to go along the water, you will hit the trees. They are down every 10-15 feet. Make sense?
    It does. I have never been back there though. We went up on top, but never found those trails along the water, though I did know they exist. Were these trees huge? Guess I need to do some more exploring.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    It does. I have never been back there though. We went up on top, but never found those trails along the water, though I did know they exist. Were these trees huge? Guess I need to do some more exploring.
    Those trails are not the most exciting but there are some nice spots to add a mile or so to the ride. The trees are large - at least 10-12 are down. At an almost even spacing. Very odd actually.

Go up that hill and turn left. Keep following the trail and you will start hitting the trees.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm hoping the rain turns out to be minor..........................Most of my riding buddies will be out of town this weekend, and I need to drive to Charlotte, NC Sunday. Looking to ride GLP before I hit the road. Anyone interested in an early(ish) Sunday full loop ride? Rob and Dan, I'll text you. Anybody else?
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Plan on riding blue in Green Lane this week. Pre- Sandy I would park at the lot right after the bridge head to the trails. Once I went over the little rocky river section I would bang a left and a right up a rocky climb and follow the upper Blue until I hit a dirt road at which point I would turn right go past a gate up a paved road and hit a left trail head to continue on. Post Sandy that "left" trail head became un-rideable due to down trees. Is the trail still there? Abandoned? Just curious as I prepare to ride there this week.
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Molasses View Post
    Plan on riding blue in Green Lane this week. Pre- Sandy I would park at the lot right after the bridge head to the trails. Once I went over the little rocky river section I would bang a left and a right up a rocky climb and follow the upper Blue until I hit a dirt road at which point I would turn right go past a gate up a paved road and hit a left trail head to continue on. Post Sandy that "left" trail head became un-rideable due to down trees. Is the trail still there? Abandoned? Just curious as I prepare to ride there this week.
    I believe it is still there, but don't know if it's been cleared any. I only looked for it once, and didn't find it. Staying on the lower blue is mostly good, there is one new tree down, but that's it, the rest is clear. Btownrider and I did the full loop this morning and the trails are in great shape, other than covered on the usual horse crap. But this weeks weather forecast looks bad. I'm out of town all week, but am going to make an attempt to take my "tree in the way" cure for a walk next weekend.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

When you say complete loop do you mean blue to red? That might be cool just need to dig out the maps to see how it could be done. I used to loop upper blue to lower blue. I love this park.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Molasses View Post
    When you say complete loop do you mean blue to red? That might be cool just need to dig out the maps to see how it could be done. I used to loop upper blue to lower blue. I love this park.
    Yes, blue to red, or as we usually go red to blue. We usually start at the tennis courts off Green Lane Road, ride the Perk trail up the hill by the dam, follow the Perk trail to the red behind the old nature center/ trailer park. Follow the red along the water, cross Knight Rd, do the cedars, cross again onto honeysuckle/ red, follow that along the water to the bridge. Cross the bridge and ride the blue back to hill road. From there you can go out the blue thorough the equestrian camp and down the hill back to the car, or ride out the Hill road access driveway, cross Hill road and bomb down the gasline back to the perk trail and parking lot. The trail on the gasline has gotten washed out pretty bad and has lots of decent sized loose rocks to watch out for now though. That loop will get you around 12 miles. If you cross Knight road before the bridge, go up the hill to Dogwood you can get close to 15 out of it.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

If anyone is able to update conditions Friday afternoon/evening it would be awesome. I'm going to be traveling down to the area this Saturday and plan to either ride Green Lane or just ride the Perk with my kids (which will require different bikes.) But it'll be completely contingent on what the iffy weather does the next three days. I'm 2 hours away so a little hard to judge.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

My plans to ride are off as it is pretty wet but will post tomorrow if conditions change

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I was hoping to go today after work. Too wet?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Is it even worth thinking about for sat the 14th? This weather is killing me. I only have time ride on weekends and the past weeks have been... soggy. Haven't been able to get to Nox either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Rode all of red this afternoon prior to the flash flooding. Red Trails WERE good but I imagine they are pretty rough after that amount of rain. Don't even try blue. The first water crossing was at least knee high and flowing. May take the entire weekend for it to dry out and be able to cross the waters. I picked a shitty week to be off work!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Thanks for the heads up. I'll just make it a gravel loop today on the CX bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Btownrider and I took a couple of walks into the trails today with the downed tree remover.......................... The new one after the ravine on the blue that totally blocked the trail is gone. We also removed a few others on the upper blue and a couple other spots. Everything we walked was in good shape and dry enough to ride. The water flow at the ravines is higher than normal but the ones we looked at are manageable. We are going to go for it tomorrow, just use caution as there may be some localized wet spots.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Red was pretty well drained today but the stream crossing was on the deeper side.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Btownrider and I took a couple of walks into the trails today with the downed tree remover.......................... The new one after the ravine on the blue that totally blocked the trail is gone. We also removed a few others on the upper blue and a couple other spots. Everything we walked was in good shape and dry enough to ride. The water flow at the ravines is higher than normal but the ones we looked at are manageable. We are going to go for it tomorrow, just use caution as there may be some localized wet spots.
    Dude thank you for moving that massive flow killer at the ravine, that is one of the most diff sections to clear when there isn't a 50' Oak laying right down middle of it. Much love.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chestercospinner View Post
    Dude thank you for moving that massive flow killer at the ravine, that is one of the most diff sections to clear when there isn't a 50' Oak laying right down middle of it. Much love.
    No problem. It had to be done and the park has proven time and time again they won't, or just take too long to do it. Cleared the tree easy Saturday, failed to clear it on the bike Sunday. Dammit. Next time.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Anybody know if GL is dry enough to ride? I know parts of the area got some bad storms but it seems to vary from location to location.

mtbr member
    I'm maybe 8 miles south as the crow flies and didn't get a ton of rain yesterday. I'd expect the red trail at least to be in decent shape by tomorrow afternoon at the latest. I'm planning to ride there Sunday so if anyone finds out otherwise in the meantime I'd love to know

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Green Lane was super dry today. Horse traffic was also high today. Unfortunately Friday night's storms brought down more trees. There's quite a few down on the blue, not too far in from Ward rd. There may have been a few smaller ones throughout, but blue was the worst.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Rode all of blue forwards and backwards. Same trees down between ward road and first ravine crossing. New double tree down between first and second crossing. Top tree needs to go. Love to see the bottom one stay to make a nice log over.
    Also, HOLY HORSE ****! Watch out for the road apples and be prepared to smell like it after the ride!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Sorry for being MIA lately things have finally settled down a little on my end and I have been able to get a few rides in. Last week I walked the orange section that was abandoned after sandy with the trail supervisor and we came up with a plan to fix some areas and re-route a few others. Wednesday we will be marking out the new section of trails so that the maintenance crew can come through and do the ground work. Once the trail is set I will start going through and looking for issues, I will also try to post days when maybe we can work on the tread a little not now when the conditions are great for riding. My hopes for the orange is that we can create a few fast loops with some technical sections for days when we don't have time for the entire loop. I would also like to get it to a point where people can bring their kids to get them started with mountain biking.
    I plan to head out tomorrow morning and ride the blue loop from ward to hill and back, one of my favorites. Thanks to the locals that have been keeping up on the trail work!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    The blue is in sad shape at the moment, the storm that came through a few Fridays ago made a mess. With any luck I'll get a free night later in the week, and if I can get a second set of hands may be we can attack some of it. But there are some VERY shady trees broken between ward and the 1st ravine. There are a few leaners between red hill and markley roads north of Knight that need to go. The Dogwood is in SEVERE need of pruning. I may get some free time this weekend, if I do I'll try to get some more work done over there.
    Last edited by ferguson65; 07-22-2014 at 06:33 PM.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I got some free time tonight. Headed out and took the one nasty leaner out in the cedars between Red Hill and Markley roads. There was another leaner that wasn't blocking the trail flow but had the dreaded cedar "spikes" sticking out of it. I cleaned all the spikes off the lower 6 feet and left it. Walked in Honeysuckle to red and cleaned up the branch down on red. Headed back out and met Btownrider at Ward Rd. We walked into blue and cleared the 2 trees between Ward and the 1st ravine. The 2nd one was a bit tricky, it rolled weird and had the saw pinched good, but we used some "levers" and got it freed to finish the job. From there we continued our walk in onto the upper blue, and cleared the one on top of the pile, and "modified" the lower one a bit for clearance and left it for a logover. Can't wait to get out and ride it. Enjoy!

If I wind up with some more time this weekend, I think I'm going to drag the weedwhacker up to Dogwood and give the raspberry bushes a trimming. FYI though, there are TONS of ripe and delicious raspberries up there.
    Last edited by ferguson65; 07-22-2014 at 07:32 PM.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member

Re: Green Lane trail conditions

Great work - I was hoping for a log over there, the bottom one looked perfect. Been missing the one that rotted out behind the Knight road lot.

Thanks for all the work you guys are doing - trails at GLP are in the best shape I've ever seen them lately.

mtbr member
    Nice job guys!
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Well done gentlemen! I rode the loop today and was pretty happy with the general tread throughout. I believe the spots that you guys "maintained" tonight were the main issues. I cleared one area up near hill and there was one more between swinging bridge and hill that will need to be addressed at some point. I am marking out the new route for the orange tomorrow and also hoping to find time to weed whack the red. I will post any progress that I make. Felt great to get back out again today!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hit the full loop along with the "new" orange areas with TEAMGLP and Btownrider today. Everything is in great shape, and everything is rideable, all trees that couldn't be made into logovers are clear! The new orange route is fun, and just as difficult as the old orange but more sustainable, and there's a big rock jump. See what the weather brings tomorrow, but judging by the bike racks on cars at the Knight rd lot, there were a lot of people out enjoying the trails today.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Your volunteered trail maintenance is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Those of you that ride the orange trail know that many of the trails struggle with erosion problems at multiple places. Last week I walked the orange with the county trail supervisor and came up with a plan to incorporate some of the existing trails and also cut some new trails to make the loops sustainable. The secondary goal was to use the entire park footprint and add some distance to the loops.

The section directly behind the parking lot at Deep Creek and Snyder is in decent shape so my focus has been on the other side. Today I finished rough cutting a loop that connects the original orange that was not being used to a point near the upper gas line. The trails are marked with orange surveyors tape and makes the first portion of the loop. I was hoping to have the rest of the loop cut by Friday but I blew the head of my weed whacker apart as I was finishing up. If you are riding that area in the next few days or weeks please ride the trail that I cut if you find it, the more traffic we get on it the better idea we will have on the layout. I tried to follow the contours and use the space, please feel free to let me know if you have any thoughts or ideas about the trail. This is our first real test with the county and cutting new trails of significance so I want it to go smoothly.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I got some free time to use up tonight, and I've rode the past two days, so I decided to go out for a little clean up work. I gassed up the weedwacker and headed up to Dogwood. First off, I cannot believe how dry it was after last nights storms. Unreal. one perpetual wet spot, that I opened up a bushwhacked reroute on. For those that haven't hit the Dogwood recently, the trail was almost completely overgrown with raspberries in places. I got about 80% nicely done before the sky went dark, the rest I just hustled out and tried to get the worst stuff, but you can tell I was rushing. I'll get up there and finish the rest sometime, but I think you can at least ride the trail without bleeding, unless you crash. Enjoy.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I think you can at least ride the trail without bleeding, unless you crash. Enjoy.
    Did you cut down those moving trees that jump out at you? Apparently TEAMGLP and I have found a rare breed on Saturday morning!

TEAMGLP, rode that trail in with a few hot laps of new and old orange on the other side of the road. Awesome, awesome, awesome! Great work. This may be a great after work ride as it is short and punishing and you can loop it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Did you cut down those moving trees that jump out at you? Apparently TEAMGLP and I have found a rare breed on Saturday morning!
    I left them because it's funny to watch you crash. And they don't jump out at me!
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Hey guys in new to the area..
    I stay in Schwenksville‎.
    If it hasn't been coverd. Can some explain the GreenLane color coding?
    I ran into some orange today just riding the Perkiomen trail.
    I'm trying to get more info on GreenLane & maybe meet up & ride with anyone else that's down too.
    Thanks

mtbr member

Red, blue and orange are all open to bikes. There are a couple non color trails also.

Red runs along the north side of the reservoir. Mostly buff/flat with some roots.

Blue runs along the south side of the reservoir and has a lot of loose rocks and climbing. Some fun technical ravines too.

Orange is a smaller loop and has some nice chunky rock sections.

I think there is probably close to 20 miles of trail open to bikes in the park. I usually ride up the perk trail (i live off township line road right before you get to schwenksville) and do red/blue loop, and orange/dogwood/cedars if I've got time. Planning to head up Sunday morning if you'd like a tour.

Bikesport used to do a group ride from the Knight rd parking lot closest to 29 on Sundays at 9, not sure if that is still going.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Thanks Alex & yes I would like the tour Sunday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Racerx alexcuse is right on with his description. There is a plan in place between us and the park to have a easily mapped loop around the resivour for visitors. With that in mind there are spots like you posted where the orange is blacked out where they have redirected the trail, unfortunately sometimes they don't always get the marks right so the process continues. There are more trails (i.e. Upper blue, dogwood, cedars) that may not be mapped but we will continue to maintain them, some of them are in need of work at this point as we have been spending some time on the orange loop down at the park. Keep me posted on rides as I am out of town this week but should be back to riding next week.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Thanks TEAMGLP
    & if you & alexcuse need any help let me know.
    I'm down

mtbr member
    Red trail was in *perfect* condition today - didn't even get muddy coming up to the lot by the Knight Rd bridge.

Unfortunately snapped my chain before I got too far into blue

mtbr member

Riding at 9 from the Deep Creek/Snyder lot if anyone wants to join. Looking forward to checking out the orange reroutes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Who the hell cut out the log over on blue trail before second ravine crossing??!! I mean come on someone already built a little ramp up and over. Isn't that easy enough?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Who the hell cut out the log over on blue trail before second ravine crossing??!! I mean come on someone already built a little ramp up and over. Isn't that easy enough?
    The ramp made it real easy. I sure didn't cut it out because carrying the saw back that far sucked the first time, and if you think I was going to do it again you're nuts. Maybe the park did it? Be curious to see if that nightmare tree on "green" was handled too. That'd be a dead ringer for the park having done it.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The ramp made it real easy. I sure didn't cut it out because carrying the saw back that far sucked the first time, and if you think I was going to do it again you're nuts. Maybe the park did it? Be curious to see if that nightmare tree on "green" was handled too. That'd be a dead ringer for the park having done it.
    I knew it wasn't you. You can appreciate a challenge. Plus I wasn't there to carry the saw. The widow maker on green is still there so I'm not sure it was the park.

Everyone ruins my fun! Just ****ing ride. If you can't do it, get better.

mtbr member

the one thing GLP needs more of is log over's (fine maybe a skinny or two).

What is the "green" trail?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    the one thing GLP needs more of is log over's (fine maybe a skinny or two).

That's what I'm saying!

What is the "green" trail?
    Double secret on this one. You will have to ride with us!

mtbr member

Suppose I will

This month is crazy for me but post here if you plan any weekend rides and I'll try to make it work.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I was able to get out on the blue tonight for a loop and the trails were in great shape! In my opinion this is the best time of year to get out and tonight didn't disappoint. The only area that needs attention is the upper blue off the hill rd access, this is an area that we cleared in the spring but doesn't get ridden often. If you are looking for a fun technical loop the blue out and back is great. I also think we have received some assistance with trail maintenance up there so whoever is putting in the time up there, thank you!

I have been riding the orange trail at nights and everything is in great shape there as well with the exception of one hanger that came down last week. I am in the process of clearing a path around it at this point. The second portion of the orange loop that is getting cut will have to wait for bad weather because at this point when I am out I am riding. Get out and enjoy it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Hit the trails in the dark tonight, and the conditions are fantastic. Get out and ride!
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    I agree. Green lane has gone from a place I would ride occasionally and often be disappointed with to a place that I really like and look forward to ridding. Just a nice fun place to ride now. Being able to ride the blue to the orange and loop it all around without having to ride the road is just fantastic!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Amen! Just had the same conversation this weekend as we were climbing up to the equestrian lot on the blue. Hoping to add more flowy sections to the orange in the near future just don't want to give up riding time right now.

mtbr member
    Amen! Just had the same conversation this weekend as we were climbing up to the equestrian lot on the blue. Hoping to add more flowy sections to the orange in the near future just don't want to give up riding time right now.
    I agree. Green lane is such a wonderful place. I really think places like Green lane and Nox are great examples of what can be done when park officials and mountain bikers work together. It is important to note that it is not just mountain bikers that benefit, but the whole community. I see tons of runners and walkers on those trails and they all comment how great these trails are (both at Green lane and Nox). These are great times for the Suburban philly crowd!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I've been wantin to check these out for a while now since my girlfriend lives in Lansdale.

Quick question to anyone familiar. How is this during the week during archery? Hunting allowed I assume. Not really in the area on Sundays but don't wanna run into many hunters. Tyia

mtbr member
    There might be controlled hunts from time to time but pretty sure hunting is not allowed in any Montgomery County parks. In 8 years I've never seen a hunter there, thats for sure.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexCuse View Post
    There might be controlled hunts from time to time but pretty sure hunting is not allowed in any Montgomery County parks. In 8 years I've never seen a hunter there, thats for sure.
    Thanks. Not from that area so wasnt sure

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    No hunting on the GLP trails, as a matter of fact we saw 2 guys escorted out last year one day. A few of the trails border property lines and you may see tree stands but I have never had any issues. As always in archery I try to wear bright colors, get out and ride the trails are great right now. Heading out on the orange in 5 minutes!

mtbr member
    Went back on a fatbike again, but this time it was my own. Managed to keep the chain intact this time and ride most of blue. Perfect conditions as usual - the rain last week seems to have helped.

mtbr member
    I really like ridding at Green lane but am noticing with the nice weather, it is packed on the weekends! The gully crossings on the blue section, which I live for, were full of people on Sunday. One guy was having lunch right in the middle, with his GF and two pit-bulls! I actually told him that with the two dogs, he pretty much can do as he pleases and he laughed but I don't think he really got my joke…

Anyway, Green lane truly has become a jewel. Now how do we get rid of the walkers? (:

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    As much as I hate to say it you know the story about the early bird. We have been getting out around 8 the past few weekends and have not run in to a lot of traffic on the entire loop. The conditions and weather have been great and I can't blame people for getting out there, lunch in the middle of the trail is a little over the top though! On a side note we rode Bear Creek Sunday and it was fantastic as always, makes you realize your not in as good as shape as you thought. I am trying to make Friday afternoons around 3 a ride time if anyone is interested, great way to start the weekend.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    We've found a way to beat the traffic....................Ride it in the dark! 3 of us did the full loop tonight in the dark and it was awesome, just a bit cold. Trails are very dry and fast, but the leaf cover is absolutely horrible, lots of hidden rocks. I came into the railroad tie switchback on Honeysuckle pretty hot and found a rock under the leaves, resulting in me rolling down the hill without the bike. Luckily I managed to not mash my light. Encountered tons of deer...........................and jumped a skunk behind the trailer park, made for some fun breathing up the climb.................
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    I forgot how fun that place is, good ride tonight fella's!
    I like to fart when I'm in front of you on a climb

mtbr member
    Planning to roll from Ward Rd lot around 6 tomorrow if anyone wants to meet up. Going to start with blue and try to talk my friends into hitting orange before we circle back to red.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just got back from a couple loops on the orange. It was slick. Wet cleats, wet rocks, wet roots, with wet leaves on top of all of that slowed the pace down a little. I actually did a little trail work while I was out tonight, I'm amazed at how quickly that tread has set in down there and can't wait to get the next section done. With a crazy schedule it's nice to be able to ride out the back door and get some time in.
    The trails are real dry right now, as much as I hate to say it a little rain would be good for the trails

mtbr member
    I rode blue then red tonight, everything was in terrific shape. Wet leaves upped the degree of difficulty significantly on blue - my friend hadn't ridden for a while so we skipped orange figuring it would be more slippery.

Hoping to go back Thursday and ride orange - I haven't ridden it in forever, want to check out some of the new bits

I was thinking back to a ride right after hurricane sandy where I think we spent more time sawing than we did riding. That was as bad as I've ever seen the trails, but I think it served as a catalyst to really get things moving in the right direction. A lot of its weather I'm sure but the trails have truly been better this year than I can ever remember, to the point that I think they rival French Creek. I haven't seen the perennial mud bog as you approach the lot across from dogwood all year I don't think. Unfortunately as mentioned above it seems the secret is out, and the crowds are moving in. But more traffic should help keep things nice Thanks again for the great work!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I couldn't agree more, I grew up riding these trails on my first rigid mountain bike. I was just getting back into riding when Sandy rolled through and hammered the GLP loop and like alexcuse said kept us off the bike more then on it. At that point I was not aware of any volunteers working on the trails and took the time to meet with the park as a concerned rider. Fortunately for all of us timing was everything the park was more then willing to start a working relationship on their trail system. All of that being said I have simply been a liaison between riders and the park. Fortunately we have a good group of riders and some hikers that don't mind working for the benefit of others and keep the trails open even before the park identifies the problem. THANK YOU EVERYONE!
    We are getting there and the main trail system is in good shape. I am looking to finish the orange re-route this fall and then explore some other options. I know I haven't had a chance to get out and meet everyone but I look forward to working and riding with everyone in the future! Thanks again to ALL of you that ride and take time to look after the trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Got out again tonight, even with yesterdays rain the trails are still extremely dry. Only found 1 tiny puddle. We rode red and dogwood tonight, everything was fast and fun. Cleared one small tree in the cedars between 29 and red hill road. Saw a couple other bikers but traffic wasn't too bad. The leaf cover is just as bad in the daylight as it was at night.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Ferguson keep an eye out on the red when you are up there. My brother was riding yesterday afternoon and said the upper connector trail we cut with you guys last year to keep us out of the mud had brush deliberately thrown on it every 10 feet. He did see a person before hand that he thought looked out of place but didn't see him after. He threw everything well down the hillside there and it is open again. That trail is well inside the park boundaries so I am not sure why someone would do that. Just an FYI glad you guys are getting out, we will have to meet up again!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Ferguson keep an eye out on the red when you are up there. My brother was riding yesterday afternoon and said the upper connector trail we cut with you guys last year to keep us out of the mud had brush deliberately thrown on it every 10 feet. He did see a person before hand that he thought looked out of place but didn't see him after. He threw everything well down the hillside there and it is open again. That trail is well inside the park boundaries so I am not sure why someone would do that. Just an FYI glad you guys are getting out, we will have to meet up again!
    Will keep my eyes peeled. Have not noticed anything odd up there, honestly we haven't been running that trail since the ground is so dry and the mud hasn't been an issue. There is a leaner up there that needs addressed, the tree can stay as it leans away from the trail, but it's got a nasty root sticking up that Btownrider clipped his foot on hard. It pokes out into the trail just enough. It should be able to be handled with a large pair of loppers or a bow saw.

Did notice there appears to be a new or possibly "revived" trail between Red hill road and Markley road. Weeds look like they were freshly raked away. There are older trails in that section ripe for reopening. We will have to catch up for a ride again, my schedule has been tough lately so most of the time I just go on a whim, or we go at night.
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just got off the red and cedars and they were in better shape then i thought. After the rain yesterday I thought it would be questionable but I didn't see one standing puddle. To be honest with you my bike didn't even get dirty. A lot of leaves so watch yourselves in the corners.

mtbr member
    Just got off the red and cedars and they were in better shape then i thought. After the rain yesterday I thought it would be questionable but I didn't see one standing puddle. To be honest with you my bike didn't even get dirty. A lot of leaves so watch yourselves in the corners.
    That is crazy. I may try to hit it tomorrow or Saturday. Great news!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Was out after work today for a quick and unfortunately had to clear off the section trail that my brother cleared last week. I double checked my route on the gps and we are clearly on the park land so I am not sure what the issue is. Whoever is doing it spent some time to drag debris on the trail. Assuming it must be a hunter that doesn't want us near a tree stand however I have yet to meet him. I always try to take the high road but this can't continue. Otherwise the trails were in good shape. Please keep me posted if you guys see anymore trail issues.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    That is interesting. I have not been out for 2 weeks, been sick and it sucks. I'll let my brother know to keep an eye out, he rides more after work than I do. But at this point I'm sure this person isn't friendly and should be avoided rather than questioned by civilians. But if I happen across it I'm sure I'll run my mouth like normal.

Is it possible to ask Rich to have that specific section of park area border posted? I'd volunteer the time to hang, and even a couple bucks if needed for the signs.................
    14 Banshee Spitfire 27.5

15 Transition TA29

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast