mtbr member

Green Lane Storm Cleanup

I rode the red trail at Green Lane today and it wasn't too bad. Most of what we encountered we were able to clear with a hand saw.

There was one spot that we had to leave a little sketchy e cut off the real sharp end of the log and moved it out of the trail the best we could, but we'll need a bigger saw to really take care of it. This is about halfway through the section along the reservoir right before you come out into the field to cross the creek if you're riding west from the Knight Road parking lot. Its currently rideable but the positioning of the log is still kind of awkward, especially if you're riding east.

There are a lot of big trees down but the trails we rode today (Green Lane by alex_cuse at Garmin Connect - Details) were mostly spared. We didn't cover everything on the far side of Knight Road but that side generally seemed less affected. Everything we passed through is now rideable except the loop directly behind the knight road lot. If you ride the doubletrack trail that starts in the parking lot and take it straight back into the woods, there are big trees across the trail shortly after entering the woods that are tough to ride around. I'm going to try to find out if I'm allowed to use a chainsaw back there this week - I think this would be a good opportunity to build some obstacles, since the trail is wide right there and they wouldn't really interfere with hikers and horseback riders.

A friend is going to email me some photos of the bad stuff - once I get them I'll try to get them overlaid on a google map. I don't ride the blue trail often but will head out that way if I get time. If anyone gets out there let me know how things look.
    Yeah I only carry cans cause I'm a weight weenie.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    We rode both trails this weekend, the red trail was in decent shape as well as the cedar trails on the other side of knight rd. The blue trail is a mess, we spent more time off the bikes then we did riding. The trees that are down are very big and need to be cut with chainsaws. I have started talks with the park about creating a local trail maintenance group, if I receive any information I will post it here.

mtbr member
    Great thanks - let me know what you find out from the park management, I wanted to reach out to them to see if we'd be able to take chainsaws back there. I'd like to be involved in any ongoing maintenance/trailbuilding effort here - its sorely needed. Will send you a DM with my email address.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

GLP Trail Maintenance

I spoke with the county supervisors today and have approval to start working on the trails. At this point we are working on the details for volunteers and procedure however I will be starting clean up on the Blue trail later this week. I will post a thread looking for volunteers to help out I would like to schedule a day or two to clean up before the winter.

mtbr member
    The blue trail looked great last Saturday. I was there for the first time and really enjoyed the orange trail, although pretty short, and the blue. Both surprisingly clean considering the storm.

I don't mean to hijack here, but is the red any more than a fire road? People kept telling me the red trail was better, less rocks and I kept thinking, I like rocks. When I finally got to the red trail I was bored out of my mind. Did I miss something?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    No you didnt miss much. there is a section of the red trail thats called the cedar section its near the big parking lot closest to rt 29...u cross the road and follow a little hill and bust left at the top....its a bunch of short kinda flowy sections with some tight cedar trees but not really worth riding unless you live rite near there. and we can all thank the inconsiderate equestrians for failing to move the poo to the woods..makes for an awesome poo and mud mix this time of year

mtbr member
    Hey Teamglp, what part of the blue trail are you saying was bad? I walked my bike through the "no bikes" section where there were dozens of downed trees, some huge. After that section it seemed pretty clear. If you worked on that section- thanks. It's a really fun trail.

Does anyone just double back on the blue? I road from deep creek lake (?) parking lot where I hit the orange trail (too bad that's not longer cause it's fun as hell) and then got to the blue and road clockwise around the lake. What's this trail like in the opposite direction and how do you get around the "no bike" section?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I take hill rd around the no bike section if im gonna loop the reservoir but i rarely do on bike. The loop is more fun and challenging to trail run. On a bike, i usually start at ward rd parking lot and do the blue trail to the boat ramp and back. Its not much but real close to home orange trail is fun but way short

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    We normally start at Ward rd. and ride the blue trail, after the first creek crossing we go left on the fire road and then a quick right and climb to the upper section. The upper section is where most of the storm damage is however my brother was up there a few days ago and said somebody must have been cutting. We still do not have clearance from the park, my guess is they may have their maintenance guys up there working. I was hoping to get a work day together this weekend but since I haven't heard from the park I will be riding Saturday afternoon instead.

As far as the Red trail goes I think the lower portion (honey suckle trail) has a nice flow. If we get permission to start making new trails I would like to see more flowing single track similar to nox, more sustainable and overall better for the MTB community.

Anyone interested in riding we will probably head out around 12:30 on Saturday.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I forgot to mention the Orange trail is on my list, I mentioned that in our meeting and they were on board with getting that dialed in. I live a half mile from the park and would like to work on that next summer. Even though the trails are short I think if they were cleaned up and had some features it would be a great place to ride after work.

mtbr member
    Yeah the red trail is nice if you stick along the reservoir. That cedars section has some nice bits of singletrack but it is hard to find in the maze of horse-mangled doubletrack. The dogwood trail (right across from the parking lot before Knight Rd bridge if you're coming from 29) is very short but I like it a lot.

Definitely seems like we'd be able to build some more flowy singletrack across the road, and anywhere we could add features would be great.

mtbr member
    Yeah the red trail is nice if you stick along the reservoir
    I saw some trail heads off the red trail heading twords water, but I didn't have time to explore. Can you break up the boring parts of the red with those? Do they just follow the path of the red trail?

horse-mangled doubletrack
    You could drive a semi down the red "trail" I was on. I would call Wiss double track. The red trail is a highway waiting for asphalt.

Hey, guys, thanks for all this off topic info. I'll be out for more exploring soon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just got back from doing some trail maintenance with my brother. We cleaned up the blue trail from ward road to the section where you have to climb to the upper part of the blue. We ran a blower, cut new routes around the big trees and connected the upper and lower blue where you can't get around right now. The sections we re-routed are cut and cleared but we did not grade anything, might be a spring project when we get more hands. It took us a little over 3 hours but I think we made some good progress, you should be able to ride the upper and lower loop with only on or two dismount areas. Getting the leaves off those trails right now should make a big difference, they were holding a tremendous amount of water underneath.

We are planning a night ride this week so we will get to test out the new sections. Let me know what you guys think if you get out there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Sick dood. its great to have someone just take the reighs and do work...the failure to move a muscle on this is just another depiction of our failing goverment....team glp tried but had to jump through fifteen hoops to put something in motion. gotta luv it. as far as im concerned the park is now fair game to build trails, features and cut trees.... g b a !

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Our goal today was to reconnect the existing trails until the storm damage is cleaned up, I believe the park service is working on this. After the initial meeting I thought we would be able to get started cutting out storm damage quickly however I am sure there is a list of people that need to approve it. I believe the park has our best interest in mind and would like to start a working partnership for the good of the trails. It can not be a maintenance free for all out there, in our meeting we discussed the need for a plan. The plan is to clean up and repair the existing trails, fix areas that have poor drainage, prevent more erosion and most importantly create a sustainable main loop. After we complete that we will look at adding trails and creating features. We need to work together with them or they can simply ask us to leave it to them.

Again if I hear anything this week I would like to set up a trail day in the near future.
    Thank you to those that have been asking to help I appreciate your passion for these trails!

mtbr member
    We need to work together with them or they can simply ask us to leave it to them.
    Right on. Keep us posted, and thanks for the work already done.