Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Green Lane Blue Trail?

I used to ride Green Lane 5+ years ago and although the red trail was okay and the green trail (lower, rocky trail) was decent as well, I really loved the Blue trail. Just went to the Trail Review section and the post from 2007 said the trail is closed to bikes. Is that for real? Is it strictly enforced? I ask because I'll be in the area on Thursday of this week and thought I could sneak a ride in for ol' times sake...

Thanks for the info!
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Blue Trail

Yes the Blue trial is now closed to all Bikes. With that being said I do ride the trail occasionally. There is usually no one on the trail. Although, I have heard some riders have been hasseled by the rangers for riding a closed trail, most likely a weekend day.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I was there today (for the first time) and was told on the phone before I went that Blue Trail is open to bikes. I picked up a map that also says the Blue Trail is open to bikes. Then I spoke with another park worker who said the Blue Trail is closed to bikes because someone died mountain biking on the trail.

Unless the Blue Trail is marked "No Bikes", just carry a map and hand it to the ranger when confronted.

Then I rode around on Red Trail. I only saw one other biker - not wearing a helmet - and I thought, "the Red Trail will be closed as soon as that guy or someone like him hits his helmetless head on a rock. Hope he does it another park because I like this one."

Great park.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by elephant
    I was there today (for the first time) and was told on the phone before I went that Blue Trail is open to bikes. I picked up a map that also says the Blue Trail is open to bikes. Then I spoke with another park worker who said the Blue Trail is closed to bikes because someone died mountain biking on the trail.

Unless the Blue Trail is marked "No Bikes", just carry a map and hand it to the ranger when confronted.

Then I rode around on Red Trail. I only saw one other biker - not wearing a helmet - and I thought, "the Red Trail will be closed as soon as that guy or someone like him hits his helmetless head on a rock. Hope he does it another park because I like this one."

Great park.
    [SIZE=3]Mind sharing directions to get to it?[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    [SIZE=3]Mind sharing directions to get to it?[/SIZE]
    Here is the website:

http://www2.montcopa.org/parks/cwp/v...rksNav,%7C.asp

FYI, I hate rock gardens and other "technical" garbage on trails. I like trails that are in the style of UCI XC. The Red Trail is a shared biking, jogging, horse path and is about half hardpack dirt and gravel.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Good job!

Here is the website:

http://www2.montcopa.org/parks/cwp/v...rksNav,%7C.asp

FYI, I hate rock gardens and other "technical" garbage on trails. I like trails that are in the style of UCI XC. The Red Trail is a shared biking, jogging, horse path and is about half hardpack dirt and gravel.
    elephant:

Thanks...And forgive me if I rant and rave about rocks and other trail stuff you hate! It's just me! I'll try to remember you hate that stuff! Hard to find really buff stuff here in NEPA

Thumbs Up!

Great park.
    I was there yesterday it's my local place. I was NOT the one NOT wearing a helmet.

There does seem to be some confusion regarding which trails are open to bicycles. Last year I encounted a ranger who had just got done kicking out some illegal campers. He asked me not to ride the blue trail and I was polite to him and I had map on me which clearly stated the trail was open for cyclists. He was cool and did not make a big deal and let me ride on.

As far as I know the only trail not open to bicycles is the Nature Trail.
    Last edited by J Ro; 04-25-2008 at 09:11 AM.
    "Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth"
    Mike Tyson

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Are you all discussing Wissahickon Park,in Philadelphia City, or another park in Montgomery County?

Wissahickon is where the rider died last night. The link in earlier posts is for a park in Montgomery County.

Rule of thumb for Wissahickon Park, most of the upper trails on the rim of Wissahickon Valley are open to mt. bikers. Be aware that all trails are multi user and none of them are specifically dedicated to mt. bikers.

Dig around on the internet and you can find some free maps or hit one of the local shops in Chestnut Hill/Manayunk and purchase a map.

If you're ever in question about being on legal trails, just pay attention when you cross any access roads in/leading into the park. They all have markers with symbols for use. If the trail splits then a marker usually indicates which is open for our use.

Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrostle
    Are you all discussing Wissahickon Park,in Philadelphia City, or another park in Montgomery County?

We are discussing Green Lane Park in Montgomery County PA.
    It is a small hidden gem in the upper north eastern corner of Montgomery County.
    Mike Tyson

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Metal Signs "No Bikes On Blue Trail"

I ride Green Lane about 3-4 times a week. I imagine the rangers are through being patient this year regardless of what map you are carrying. They have made metal signs at each trail head this past fall clearly stating that bikes are not welcome on the Blue Trail. While I love the Blue Trail and wish I could still ride on it, I will stay clear of it; and hope that those who do ride it , don’t force the park to consider closing all their trails to bikes. I wouldn’t be surprised to see them start imposing some kind of fine this year too. Sorry, just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    The Blue Trail is definitely closed to bikes. It has been for years, even though the signage is poor at best. I contacted the Montgomery County Equine Council (based at Green Lane) about this last year and all I got was a bunch of BS. Its true someone died on the trail 10 years ago. It wasn't even on the Blue Trail, but really close. It was just past the boat launch, going towards the damn.

The lady from the Equine Council stated a whole number of useless facts about horses, including, at pounds per square inch, doing less damage than bike tires. That's about the time I gave up talking to her. I'll look for those emails to see if I can post them.

The Equine Council runs the park because they are in tight with the water department who has the ultimate say, because of the damn.

I'm personally pissed about the deteriorating conditions at the park. Severe erosion and equestrians making trails wherever they please is killing the beauty of the area. Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Maybe we could start a petition to reopen Blue Trail. Let me see what I can get started.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Good luck. I also got a load of BS when I talked to some one over there about it. They seemed to think that cyclists are the worst thing going when it was clear to me that the horses were doing far more damage then I ever would. At least my 'steed' doesn't leave steaming piles!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I would back that petition!! I love that trail.

mtbr member
    I've tried to ride GL a few times and just can't make heads or tails of the place. Would love to go with someone that knows what they're doing.

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Blue trail is absolutely closed. Has "technically" been closed for years but only last year did they start enforcing it. A few years ago I ran across a ranger and he told me a biker died on the blue trail years prior. He didn't stop me from riding though. Last year they started with paper signs at the trail heads, which were then replaced with large metal no biking signs.

Go ahead and petition. Good luck getting anywhere. The equestrians are FAR more organized than bikers. They "own" the trail. On a nice day there could be 50-100 horses there. What it really comes down to, is too many of them ride unexperienced horses on a very technical trail and they don't want bikers spooking their horses. I was "lectured" on the red trail by a rider once who's horse gets spooked by bikes.

The argument that horses at pounds per square inch cause less damage than bikes is false. A large horse can have more psi on the ground than a bike.
    http://www.americantrails.org/resources/ManageMaintain/WKeenImpacts.html
    The EA document introduces the concept that different user groups have varying levels of physical impacts on trails noting that hiking and biking have similar impacts while horse use has significantly higher impacts.
    "Horse traffic resulted in statistically significant higher sediment yields (the primary indicator of trail deterioration) than either hiker or llama traffic.
    In addition, under dry trail conditions horse traffic caused significant reductions in soil bulk density (a measure of how compacted the soil is) compared to llama and hiker traffic. Horse traffic also caused significant increases in soil roughness compared with the other 2 users.
    A 2001 study performed by botanist Richard Reader of the University of Guelph (Canada) noted that "We've found that hikers have the same effect as bikers do, regardless of the number of trips along the path. In reality, both are equally damaging to the environment.

But anyway, for anyone interested, here are some maps of the trails. The orange trail offers some nice technical riding with a few rock gardens, but gets muddy (and stays muddy) very easily.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Ever any races at Green Lane?

Hey all!

I'm from Phoenixville PA. I've been competing all over the place in observed trials (or bike trials) for several years. Green Lane is actually a favorite spot of mine to practice trials. (Right in the area of the tennis courts and the skating rink mostly)

Which reminds me - I will be there on July 19th at 11:00AM on the rocks by the tennis courts for a short trials demo and teaching session and then followed by an XC ride on one of the trails for fun. (Not sure which one yet)

My all time favorite spot to practice trials is St. Peter's Village. I'm normally there almost every weekend.

ANYWAY... I was just curious if they have ever held any XC races at Green Lane? (Or if there will be any in the future?)

I ride the trails their occasionally, but I typically like the more challenging/technical trails like at French Creek State Park.

Thumbs Up!
    Great News

Certain sections of the blue trail are open for mountain bikes again. I confirmed this with a Park Ranger yesterday. It appears that someone or group (I think I know who but I'll let them step up for props if they choose to) was able to get the trail open again for biking.

The trail is is in great condition, but still needs work and continued up keep.
    Mike Tyson

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by J Ro View Post
    Great News

Certain sections of the blue trail are open for mountain bikes again. I confirmed this with a Park Ranger yesterday. It appears that someone or group (I think I know who but I'll let them step up for props if they choose to) was able to get the trail open again for biking.

The trail is is in great condition, but still needs work and continued up keep.

That is great news!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Oooh, that is interesting news. I've only been on the red trail once but I hear the blue is better. Nockamixon is really nice but it's an hour away while Green Lane is only about 30 mins away for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    very welcomed news! Anymore details JRo on which sections of blue are open again?

Who do we congratulate on this fine work? hoping the group that made this possible speak up here with details, GL has tons of potential and the blue trail could be a really good ride with sustained trail support by the bikers!

Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by chestercospinner View Post
    very welcomed news! Anymore details JRo on which sections of blue are open again?

Who do we congratulate on this fine work? hoping the group that made this possible speak up here with details, GL has tons of potential and the blue trail could be a really good ride with sustained trail support by the bikers!
    The section from the trail head at Knight & Ward Roads to the boat launch is open.
    I am still waiting to hear if the other section beyond the boat launch will be open in the future.
    Mike Tyson

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Can you tell me where the boat launch is approximately on the maps above? Or are there signs up to where you can go? I went this past Saturday and didn't go too far but would like to go explore some more this weekend.

It was nice. Saw one hiker on the way down and one jogger on the way back. It seemed pretty deserted. Maybe it was too hot for the horses. I did end up drinking my entire Camelbak plus one bottle of Gatorade.

Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by joshhan View Post
    Can you tell me where the boat launch is approximately on the maps above? Or are there signs up to where you can go? I went this past Saturday and didn't go too far but would like to go explore some more this weekend.

It was nice. Saw one hiker on the way down and one jogger on the way back. It seemed pretty deserted. Maybe it was too hot for the horses. I did end up drinking my entire Camelbak plus one bottle of Gatorade.
    If you look at the last map (posted above) in the center near the words Green Lane Resorvior, that is were the boat launch is. It is a loop and the signs for the blue trail are pretty easy to follow until you get to boat launch. The trail ends at the parking lot and you need to find the other trail head (depending on which way you ride the loop).
    Mike Tyson

Suburban Redneck
    This is indeed good news. The more local options the better. I may actually head up to GL before Nock as it is closer and I'm more familiar with it. In fact, it might make for a good ride on Friday. What is the Red Trail like and approximately how long is it? Would it be a good choice for a "fast" 2-3 hour ride?
    I'm not big-boned, I'm a Clyde.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast